Two-factor authentication in the Philippines

mountainside
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

Most financial institutions will no longer do 2FA to a VOIP (voice over internet protocol) number.  The phone numbers issued by these services are landline numbers.  Apparently these numbers are more subject to hacking so banks, etc. stopped allowing 2FA to those types of numbers.  I am still trying to find my way out of 2FA hell myself.

I've been researching this in preparation for our return.  I'll dump the institutions who require an active US cell phone number (e.g. Capital One) in favor of those (e.g. USAA, NFCU, SDFCU) who are OK with 2FA via email, and know and are fine with me living in the Phils long-term.  And will happily ship credit/debit cards to the Phils via courier.  For those in the Phils now, SDFCU is the only US bank or credit union I've found that will accept new applications for those living abroad with foreign addresses.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Mike J said:

Most financial institutions will no longer do 2FA to a VOIP (voice over internet protocol) number.  The phone numbers issued by these services are landline numbers.  Apparently these numbers are more subject to hacking so banks, etc. stopped allowing 2FA to those types of numbers.  I am still trying to find my way out of 2FA hell myself.

Still no issues with my Google Voice number, knock on wood.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Which bank?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
Just now, Mike J said:

Which bank?

The only thing I need 2fa for is Capital One Mastercard.  Chase Bank and SDFCU don't require it.

• Thanks 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Same here, no issues with my google voice number. Also have a Capital One credit card as well as a bank account. When I use their app on my phone I don’t get asked for a 2FA code. I don’t know if that’s because it’s an iPhone or if it’s also true with Android devices. The only time 2FA comes into play is when I log on with my laptop (regardless if the VPN is on and showing my location in the USA or not). They do give the option to verify via a QR code instead of a text. I only have to open the app on my phone and select the QR option before I log on then scan the code on my computer screen.  Very easy and faster than waiting for a text msg. 

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Gator said:

Also have a Capital One credit card as well as a bank account. When I use their app on my phone I don’t get asked for a 2FA code. I don’t know if that’s because it’s an iPhone or if it’s also true with Android devices.

Same with me on Andoid.  I have the CapitalOne app and Chase Bank app, but usually log in on my PC.

Also, I have Quicken linked to those two accounts and a few others.  After initial setup, no logins to download transactions.  And I was just reminded, Quicken uses 2FA and my Google Voice works fine.

• Like 3

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Mike J said:

The recent issue is with Skype and not the banks though, started yesterday and many reporting it. I tested on three banks, all worked last mail, now all fail.

10 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

The only thing I need 2fa for is Capital One Mastercard.  Chase Bank and SDFCU don't require it.

Chase requires it but they also have an option to call, so not an issue.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, Kingpin said:

The recent issue is with Skype and not the banks though, started yesterday and many reporting it. I tested on three banks, all worked last mail, now all fail.

Chase requires it but they also have an option to call, so not an issue.

With my checking and savings accounts, I don't recall ever using 2FA.  I have had the accounts for 20 years.

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

With my checking and savings accounts, I don't recall ever using 2FA.  I have had the accounts for 20 years.

What happens when you log in from an unrecognized computer?

They used to use email, they switched 2FA it to text last year and I actually contacted them about it, you can read "Kashmirs" reply here:

maFWdU8.png

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
41 minutes ago, Kingpin said:

What happens when you log in from an unrecognized computer?

Hmmm, not sure if I had to do that for a long time.