Two-factor authentication in the Philippines

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

Hmmm, not sure if I had to do that for a long time.

Doesn't need to be a new device, just using a different browser, or even clearing the cookies of your current browser.

So apparently Skype has a new policy:  SMS messages sent from services such as identity verification are not supported on US Skype Numbers.

Looking into replacements now so I can cancel that POS

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
28 minutes ago, Kingpin said:

Doesn't need to be a new device, just using a different browser, or even clearing the cookies of your current browser.

So apparently Skype has a new policy:  SMS messages sent from services such as identity verification are not supported on US Skype Numbers.

Looking into replacements now so I can cancel that POS

You are right.  I use Chrome normally so I tried Echo to test, and it did 2fa.  No problem getting the code on Google Voice.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

@OnMyWay and @Kingpin

I am a bit confused.  I am considering opening a Chase account, but the only way it would work for me is if they use email for 2FA or can send a code to my Philippine phone number.   

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Mike J said:

I am considering opening a Chase account, but the only way it would work for me is if they use email for 2FA or can send a code to my Philippine phone number.   

First question would be why, it's useless for investing and there are far better bill payment options. I've never had any bank accept a Philippines number, once when I made the attempt, it apparently set off alarms and  in order to log in I had to confirm my account using 2FA to a US number once again. :rolleyes:

samatm
Posted
Posted
On 6/16/2023 at 2:40 AM, Kingpin said:

Anyone else not getting 2FA though Skype anymore?

yes..just yesterday and it really bites.      Bank wants me to email photo id etc... big time waster

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Kingpin said:

First question would be why, it's useless for investing and there are far better bill payment options. I've never had any bank accept a Philippines number, once when I made the attempt, it apparently set off alarms and  in order to log in I had to confirm my account using 2FA to a US number once again. :rolleyes:

I have lived here full time for 10 years.  I do not have a US number.  I was able, early on, to turn off two factor with my bank for login and most transactions.  But my new debit card never arrived and the bank will not issue a new one without 2FA.  I do not need the account to pay bills, etc.  Basically I only need it to be able to draw funds from an ATM.  I would transfer funds from my existing bank into the new account using Zelle.  So I need an account that will use email for 2FA and does not demand a US phone number for 2FA.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Be patient, this is changing.  In Canada CIBC, Simplii, Scotiabank and HSBC Canada all have options to use app authentication instead of a text to your phone.  I have it with my IBKR account.

It means you download a certain app and register with your bank so that whenever you sign on, online or on your mobile, there will be a signal sent to your phone app.  In my case I simply have to use fingerprint, facial id, or a password and I am in.  No need for a sim card once you are set up.  Just have to be connected to wifi.

I cannot be sure about banks in the US but they will probably not be far behind on this

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Mike J said:

@OnMyWay and @Kingpin

I am a bit confused.  I am considering opening a Chase account, but the only way it would work for me is if they use email for 2FA or can send a code to my Philippine phone number.   

Last night, as I mentioned above, I tried 2fa on Chase.  It gave my 3 options: Text to my US Google Voice, text to my PH mobile, or a phone number to call.

So I guess I have my PH number registered.  I will see if I can test it.

• Thanks 1

mountainside
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Mike J said:

I have lived here full time for 10 years.  I do not have a US number.  I was able, early on, to turn off two factor with my bank for login and most transactions.  But my new debit card never arrived and the bank will not issue a new one without 2FA.  I do not need the account to pay bills, etc.  Basically I only need it to be able to draw funds from an ATM.  I would transfer funds from my existing bank into the new account using Zelle.  So I need an account that will use email for 2FA and does not demand a US phone number for 2FA.

The only US institution I could find that permits expats to open an account from overseas is SDFCU.  No need for a US address.  2FA via email.  They'll ship cards to your address in the Phils.  They also make car loans for overseas vehicles to be owned by overseas expats.  Need to join an affiliate organization to qualify - I used American Consumer Council for a one-time fee $10 US.  My sole purpose for joining was anticipating our return to the Phils.  Their constituency is the diplomatic crowd and other expats.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Be patient, this is changing.  In Canada CIBC, Simplii, Scotiabank and HSBC Canada all have options to use app authentication instead of a text to your phone.  I have it with my IBKR account.

It means you download a certain app and register with your bank so that whenever you sign on, online or on your mobile, there will be a signal sent to your phone app.  In my case I simply have to use fingerprint, facial id, or a password and I am in.  No need for a sim card once you are set up.  Just have to be connected to wifi.

I cannot be sure about banks in the US but they will probably not be far behind on this

I have a similar set-up with one of my UK banks - an app is downloaded and then paired with the account and each time I need to log in a code is generated.  One other banks uses a keypad code generator in conjunction with my card and my 3rd doesn't have any 2FA as yet.  

Ref. the wifi and sim card comment - I may be mistaken but doesn't the phone need a sim card inserted to have wifi - not necessarily an active sim?