Gov't beefs up monitoring of foreign retirees in PH

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

I am retired so this will have no effect on me but perhaps it may for other forum members.

https://www.pna.gov.ph/articles/1162521

MANILA – The government is strengthening its monitoring of the economic activities of foreign nationals, including retirees, as the country continues to allow the entry of foreign labor even in the face of the pandemic.

The Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) and the Philippine Retirement Authority (PRetA) last week signed a memorandum of agreement (MOA) allowing the free exchange of foreign national data between the two agencies at the DOLE Central Office.

“This data-sharing agreement will facilitate the exchange of information between DOLE and PRetA for better coordination, rendering of services, and monitoring of foreign nationals within our purview,” Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III said in a statement on Sunday, highlighting the shared goal of the two agencies of monitoring the economic activities of foreign nationals in the country.

Under the agreement, PRetA can now verify the employment information of their Special Resident Retiree’s Visa (SRRV) holders or those foreign nationals who choose to retire in the Philippines, through DOLE’s Alien Employment Permit (AEP) database.

The labor department issues AEP to authorize a foreign national to work in the Philippines.

"The pressing challenges of the pandemic impel us to forge solidarity and cooperation in promoting and monitoring the employment activities of foreign nationals in our country,” PRetA General Manager and Chief Executive Officer Bienvenido K. Chy added.

According to the MOA, the exchange of employment information/data will be done quarterly via electronic mail or other forms of data transmission agreed upon by both parties.

Also present during the signing event were DOLE Undersecretary Renato Ebarle, Assistant Secretary Dominique Tutay, and PRetA Management Services Department Manager Antonio V. Rivera. (PR)

• Like 3
  • Hmm thinking 1

Gas
Posted
Posted

If a foreigner is married and holds a 13a visa they are exempted from the AEP and can work without any restrictions. 

• Like 5

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gas said:

If a foreigner is married and holds a 13a visa they are exempted from the AEP and can work without any restrictions. 

Which means that the SRRV is again being treated as a lesser Visa to the 13a, first it was 13a were allowed entry before SRRV and now it's 13a have less work restrictions.  Not exactly encouraging innformation for people seeking to get an SRRV.

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, GeoffH said:

Which means that the SRRV is again being treated as a lesser Visa to the 13a, first it was 13a were allowed entry before SRRV and now it's 13a have less work restrictions.  Not exactly encouraging innformation for people seeking to get an SRRV.

I dont see any changes other than better monitoring between two agencies.

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
35 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I dont see any changes other than better monitoring between two agencies.

The way I read it new monitoring applies to SRRV but no new monitoring for 13A?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

The way I read it new monitoring applies to SRRV but no new monitoring for 13A?

Could it be that 13a do not need a work permit whereis SRRV do require one? 

• Hmm thinking 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
Just now, Jollygoodfellow said:

Could it be that 13a do not need a work permit whereis SRRV do require one? 

Hmmm not sure... maybe?  I'm not going to be working so it doesn't directly effect me.

I'm just a bit concerned about what seems might be a developing trend around the SRRV given that I'd have to put $20,000 USD into one.

Gator
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

:shock_40_anim_gif: Geoff we 13a's are monitored by our Little Lady wives:whistling: daily mate 

“…….the exchange of information/data will be done quarterly via electronic mail or other forms of data transmission……”

Aka the bamboo telegraph 🤣

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, GeoffH said:

Hmmm not sure... maybe?  I'm not going to be working so it doesn't directly effect me.

I'm just a bit concerned about what seems might be a developing trend around the SRRV given that I'd have to put $20,000 USD into one.

There always seems to be no answer as to working or not conditions of SRRV. I dont recall ever seeing a straight answer.

Edit

Found answer

The SRRV is a lifetime visa and its holders are exempt from Bureau of Immigration requirements. SRRV-holders are also eligible to work, study or invest in the Philippines. https://pra.gov.ph/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1