Building our house

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, gbmmbg said:

Luckily the engineer that is in charge of the build spent 10 years installing cell towers. The house is 3 wire ground with redundant GFI. The 20 amp brakers in the box are 100ms 30ma and the outlets by any water are 5 and 5. We took the extra step of placing the water heaters out side the showers. Current has a hard time going up PPR pipe connection. Having worked on aircraft for 20 years i grew tired of getting the shit shocked out of me....lol

20230727_111807.jpg

20230727_112109.jpg

20230727_115728.jpg

Looks safe and sound but just one comment - perhaps not such a big deal but having the heater outside the shower seems a tad inconvenient if you need to adjust the temperature mid-shower.  

ETA - Saying that, I wish our contractor had followed your lead when installing the toilet roll holder! :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

Edited by hk blues
  • Haha 4

gbmmbg
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

Looks safe and sound but just one comment - perhaps not such a big deal but having the heater outside the shower seems a tad inconvenient if you need to adjust the temperature mid-shower.  

Actually the heater is on demand set at 50c.The showers are plumed hot and cold so temp adjustment is done by the mixing valve in the shower. Im way to lazy to come out and adjust it....lol

20230727_131058.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

What a lovely house!

The picture of those stairs is absolutely frightening. LOL

Sitting on your roof deck with a cup of coffee watching the sun come up would be sweet.  

• Like 3

Lee
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Visit your building site several times daily.

At varying times of the day I would also suggest----don't become predictable.

I would also like you suggest watch the electricians at all times.

Over the yrs my house has almost had 2 electrical fires. Both times the overcurrent situation was caused by electricians splicing in additional wiring when a run in conduit came up short. When I say splice I mean that the ends of both wires were twisted together with pliers, taped up, and then pulled through the conduit.

gbmmbg
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, Lee said:

Over the yrs my house has almost had 2 electrical fires. Both times the overcurrent situation was caused by electricians splicing in additional wiring when a run in conduit came up short. When I say splice I mean that the ends of both wires were twisted together with pliers, taped up, and then pulled through the conduit.

I know what you are talking about. I have seen some wiring jobs that scares the shit out of me.that's why we used screw terminal block connectors for all the lights, 3.5 mm wire, solid run, both ways no splicing. The same with the outlets 5.5mm with wire caps no splicing. no exposed wiring. Electricity is like a mad filipina, it looks ok on the surface until you throw that switch 🙄.

• Haha 2

Lee
Posted
Posted
On 3/22/2023 at 3:47 PM, gbmmbg said:

The lighted sinks turned out

From your March post---did you mean to say that the lighted sink was turned off? I ask because I didn't know that some sinks had lights in them or does this mean something else? Nice house--nice view as others have said.

gbmmbg
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Lee said:

The lighted sinks turned out

Lol. Im sorry, ment to say " the lighted sink turned out better then i thought it would. Wound up doing it to all the bathroom sinks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, gbmmbg said:

Actually the heater is on demand set at 50c.The showers are plumed hot and cold so temp adjustment is done by the mixing valve in the shower. Im way to lazy to come out and adjust it....lol

20230727_131058.jpg

Got it.  We don't have a mixer valve on ours so the heater itself is the only way to adjust the temperature.  

When you say plumbed hot and cold I assume you mean the cold water inlet feeds one side and the other is fed directly from the heater itself?  So that means you have taken a branch from the cold water feed in the bathroom (I assume) to feed the water heater inlet - doesn't it create loss of pressure in the mixer valve?  I know if we flush the toilet there is a slight drop in pressure in the shower. It's no more than interesting as we aren't the type of folk who share a bathroom when doing what needs to be done!

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Lee said:

At varying times of the day I would also suggest----don't become predictable.

I would also like you suggest watch the electricians at all times.

Whilst in theory you're correct but who has the time to pretty much be on-site full-time as you'd need to be?  If you watch them like a hawk but only 50% or even 75% of the time then for sure the other 50% or 25% of the time they will be less than diligent, possible less so than if you hadn't supervised them at all.

That's my theory anyway!