Building our house

Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, hk blues said:

What exactly is a " US style washing machine?"

Good question---the word I was looking for looking was "commercial" (like in a laundromat) size washing machine. Large capacity with stainless steel tub---normal type rotary knobs----not the LED displays that most have today. If someone wanted to go this route there is an easy workaround for the water connections as I described above.

47 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I'm not seeing the advantage of that set-up over the more 'conventional' one. 

Conventional washer machine connections require 2 supply lines for the H and C . My workaround requires only one supply line.

Edited by Lee
clarification
  • Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, Lee said:

Good question---the word I was looking for looking was "commercial" (like in a laundromat) size washing machine. Large capacity with stainless steel tub---normal type rotary knobs----not the LED displays that most have today. If someone wanted to go this route there is an easy workaround for the water connections as I described above.

Conventional washer machine connections require 2 supply lines for the H and C . My workaround requires only one supply line.

Nowadays I think most machines have just the one supply line, cold, rather than old style hot and cold inlets - that would make your workaround unnecessary.   I'm not sure why anyone here would need a commercial washing machine for domestic use but maybe I'm wrong.  

Lee
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Nowadays I think most machines have just the one supply line, cold, rather than old style hot and cold inlets - that would make your workaround unnecessary.

If someone requires hot water for their laundry then it has to come from somewhere. Filling the tub with cold water and then heating it up in the machine seems problematic to me. The only other option as far as I know would be a hot water heater mounted on the wall which has become pretty standard.

Perhaps there are wall mounted cold water supply/heaters that can do both jobs---supply hot and cold water when required. Never heard of one but that doesn't mean that they aren't out there. Like to hear from someone if they do exist.

Possum
Posted
Posted

The last two washing machines I bought only have cold water supplied. The internal water heater adjusts the temperature depending on the wash setting. This is a better system than the old hot/cold supply. With the old system you set the temp cold, warm or hot. If your water heater was far from the machine warm wash meant cool since it took so long to heat up the pipes and get the hot water to the machine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, Lee said:

If someone requires hot water for their laundry then it has to come from somewhere. Filling the tub with cold water and then heating it up in the machine seems problematic to me. The only other option as far as I know would be a hot water heater mounted on the wall which has become pretty standard.

Perhaps there are wall mounted cold water supply/heaters that can do both jobs---supply hot and cold water when required. Never heard of one but that doesn't mean that they aren't out there. Like to hear from someone if they do exist.

The hot water does come from somewhere - cold water is heated by the machine's heater to the desired temperature.  There is no need to feed hot water into the machine and that's why modern washing machines don't have both hot and cold inlets.  I have no idea why you think there's anything problematic about the machine's heater doing what it is designed to do i.e. heat water yet you think a heater mounted on the wall would be fine.  It is also not pretty standard nowadays to heat water for a washing machine using a wall-mounted heater, as I've said the machine does that job. 

I have no idea why you seem so fixated with the idea of heating water for a washing machine that heats the water itself! :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, Possum said:

The last two washing machines I bought only have cold water supplied. The internal water heater adjusts the temperature depending on the wash setting. This is a better system than the old hot/cold supply. With the old system you set the temp cold, warm or hot. If your water heater was far from the machine warm wash meant cool since it took so long to heat up the pipes and get the hot water to the machine.

^^^This, This and This!

hk blues
Posted
Posted
41 minutes ago, Lee said:

Please take this with the good nature and humour intended, Lee - does your washing machine workaround resemble something like this? -

11,016 Hanging Pipe Images, Stock Photos & Vectors | Shutterstock

• Haha 5

Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I have no idea why you seem so fixated with the idea of heating water for a washing machine that heats the water itself!

Simple enough.

Not all washing machines heat the water itself---mine certainly doesn't. You appear to be applying your experiences on the subject to this debate while not considering the fact that there might be other options out there.

My washer has 2 water inlets---H and C and was purchased at SM Tacloban. I have seen several other machines that worked like mine at Robinsons appliance stores in Manila. It is perhaps uncommon but certainly not rare. Maybe you need to get out a bit more.

"Please take this with the good nature and humour intended, Lee - does your washing machine workaround resemble something like this?" Not at all.

As described previously---one water supply line controlled by a faucet---the output is teed off with a single line going to both the H and C connections. 

Pretty simple really.

Edited by Lee
clarification

hk blues
Posted
Posted
41 minutes ago, Lee said:

Simple enough.

Not all washing machines heat the water itself---mine certainly doesn't. You appear to be applying your experiences on the subject to this debate while not considering the fact that there might be other options out there.

My washer has 2 water inlets---H and C and was purchased at SM Tacloban. I have seen several other machines that worked like mine at Robinsons appliance stores in Manila. It is perhaps uncommon but certainly not rare. Maybe you need to get out a bit more.

"Please take this with the good nature and humour intended, Lee - does your washing machine workaround resemble something like this?" Not at all.

As described previously---one water supply line controlled by a faucet---the output is teed off with a single line going to both the H and C connections. 

Pretty simple really.

I'll bow out with this -

The overwhelming majority of modern washing machines are cold fill only. If you are determined, it is still possible to find one with a hot water valve, but as this article explains that could be a waste of time and money.

Lee
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, hk blues said:

The overwhelming majority of modern washing machines are cold fill only.

I believe you------I only spoke about my WM situation in my post hopeful that my experiences might help others. You turned this into "I'm full of stuff" thread and then apparently got offended when you were found to be wrong.

When someone posts in exaggerated fonts is this also called "SHOUTING" like when someone posts using all caps?

You didn't provide a link for the article that you cited in your post. Please don't bother to do so now.