Corruption? ECC. Cebu Jcenter mall immigration office

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Ahhh the corruption in the Philippines.  Didn't you say, in a post some time back, that things were getting better.  I remember 4 years ago in Dumaguete.  Right at the police department.  I needed something from them to transfer the registration of my car to my name.  The lady did the paperwork and then told me to put 500 pesos in the "donation box".  I asked if that was mandatory and if I get a receipt for that.  She said, as she held my papers out of reach,  "Its not mandatory, and I cannot give you a receipt for it, but everyone does it if they want these papers signed by the In-Charge".  I paid.

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

If GF was not present, they would not have asked for an additional express fee.  Government clerks wouldn't know if the foreigner, whose is by himself, would understand the reason why gift giving is necessary to reduce the wait from three days to one hour.  A foreigner might make trouble by reporting the incident to the media.  The Filipina knows better than to do this.  

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

corrupt Philippines

Oh how times have changed........

I am just speaking for myself now, and not to your specific situation. I remember 12 years ago during a visit before our retirement and we were deciding whether to retire here or not. After living my life in the USA and being in the military where my life was governed by rules and regulations. I found it refreshing how life here was so "informal" Get caught speeding,,,slip the cop 500 pesos,,,counter flow or double park with out fear. Building inspection? Give the inspector 1k peso and merianda "looks good Sir!" Express lane fee? Its just a slush fund. Etc. etc. etc.

Now its just frustrating...........but what can ya do? You can join the Expat forum and vent!!!! Here at least is a sympathetic shoulder :hystery::thumbsup:

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted

it appears to be wide spread in Government departments,.We had to pay a a heap just to receive the clearance from the HPG which is valid just 8 days. If not pay wait for ever simple as that, ingrained in the system.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

WIth rising inflation and Bam Bam in office should we expect to see an increase in corruption do you think?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Colsie
Posted
Posted

@Jollygoodfellow be interesting to see what happens when I go to get my ECC this morning :whistling:

• Like 5

Freebie
Posted
Posted

Heard about a guy this weekend who paid an IT guy in DOH 65,000 pesos to buy his VaxCertPH card showing hes had 2 vax and 2 boosters. 65k ?????  HE said he needed for an emergency and that he was anti vax.........just shows, corruption is never ending. As long as theres a buyer, theres a seller and visa versa.

• Like 2

Freebie
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Old55 said:

WIth rising inflation and Bam Bam in office should we expect to see an increase in corruption do you think?

Not much change. Been going on for 100 years at high and low levels. and Presidents come and go. None can stop nor do many Presidents seem to do much to stop it,

• Like 3

Colsie
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Colsie said:

@Jollygoodfellow be interesting to see what happens when I go to get my ECC this morning :whistling:

OK just come out of immigration. 

Cost for ECC was 500 peso 

I was the only one there when I turned up and they processed the ECC in about 15 minutes. 

I already filled out the form before I arrived and had the following ready 

1. 3-off 2x2 photo

2. Photocopy of; a.  passport bio page. b. Receipt of most recent visa extention. C. Copy of most recent arrival stamp. 

3. Also had to show original extention receipt, passport and passport with arrival stamp (old passport) 

All done, was asked to show the ECC with ext receipt at airport immigration next week when I leave. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1