TCL Smart TVs = Opinions?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

I wouldn't not buy another TCL but I wouldn't have it top of my list.

Wouldn't or would buy another??

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Freebie said:

Had a 55 inch Skyworth for 4 years now. Worked excellently. Ocassionally needs to restart but then so do pcs.  Was low priced, bought at SM and been very happy with it. Yes there are the Sony and Samsungs but this does the job.

fyi, when shopping ask  store staff to turn the brightness to a normal level, they always put brightness to full level so you will see how "bright " the pic is.

I could get a 55 Skyworth Android, 4k, bluetooth, for only 24k!

https://www.abenson.com/skyworth-uhd-55sud6600.html

Skyworth 65 is 35K and 70 is 42k,  55s are cheap these days because everyone wants the 65,  Actually the 65 is slightly big for my viewing area.  55 is just right.

However, like all equipment and tools, bigger is better!  My wife doesn't understand that concept.  Yet.

• Haha 2

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

when we arrived in Phil in 2011 the wife sent our big JVC tv to phil by balikbayan box ! As it was the first thing she bought in the UK with her first months salary working in the NHS in 2002 in the Philippines it lasted 5yrs !so  it lasted for a total of 14yrs ! And she has still kept it to this day its in one of the bedrooms in the family home which is empty

Dont know much about TCL TVs we have a sony 32in bought from SM Calamba Cost 13,000 pesos 4yrs ago great TV came with years free Netflix, it does not like 5G ! Regarding quality of Chinese built goods these days almost all electrical stuff is made in China ! A video which opened my eyes on you tube is called factory to the world ! If your thinking of buying a electric kettle,iron,toaster etc then watch the video ! Something made me smile this morning we stopped at mcds in Nuvali just before the motorway i had fries and coke

and it said on the fries bag " printed in China ! So your new TV may be a Samsung,or Sony or LG.but is it  ?

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, expatuk2014 said:

when we arrived in Phil in 2011 the wife sent our big JVC tv to phil by balikbayan box ! As it was the first thing she bought in the UK with her first months salary working in the NHS in 2002 in the Philippines it lasted 5yrs !so  it lasted for a total of 14yrs ! And she has still kept it to this day its in one of the bedrooms in the family home which is empty

Funny, I came to ask another question and you kind of hit on it.

Suppose they tell me that the Samsung will cost 10 k to fix.  I would rather buy a brand new Skyworth for 24k.  Only 14k more.

So what would I do with the old Samsung?  Give it away to someone who can have it fixed?  Sell it?  Keep it in the empty bedroom for ever and ever with all the other junk I should get rid of? :smile:

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I just took the Samsung off of my wall mount, which is an expensive extend and swivel one.  If I were to get a 65, I would need to get a new wall mount, because the VESA hole pattern is larger on a 65.  So, getting a 65 is probably off the table.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Double negative.  I think he is saying that he would buy, but further down the list.

• Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Yep, as Mike said double negative.  I used the double negative deliberately as it's not a hard NO but it's certainly not a hard YES if that makes sense.

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, expatuk2014 said:

Dont know much about TCL TVs we have a sony 32in bought from SM Calamba Cost 13,000 pesos 4yrs ago great TV came with years free Netflix, it does not like 5G ! Regarding quality of Chinese built goods these days almost all electrical stuff is made in China ! A video which opened my eyes on you tube is called factory to the world ! If your thinking of buying a electric kettle,iron,toaster etc then watch the video ! Something made me smile this morning we stopped at mcds in Nuvali just before the motorway i had fries and coke

and it said on the fries bag " printed in China ! So your new TV may be a Samsung,or Sony or LG.but is it  ?

I've has this debate before on this forum with a buy "American goods" only poster.  Simple fact is there is probably a next to zero chance that any product advertised as made in the USA is 100% made in the USA - several key components will have been sourced from places like Taiwan and China/Japan.  

For me, it's all about the design and technology - the actual manufacturing is almost irrelevant and I'd go further and say that Chinese manufacturing standards are more than capable of delivering a quality product.  But, the European and Korean/Japanese tech is superior and that's why I buy them.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, hk blues said:

For me, it's all about the design and technology - the actual manufacturing is almost irrelevant and I'd go further and say that Chinese manufacturing standards are more than capable of delivering a quality product.

Slightly disagree because I think you forgot one thing.  Quality control and testing is key to the final product.  I have read a few articles about this.  In many cases, a manufacturing plant will be building for many clients, and they can customize their QC and testing to meet the clients individual requirements.

For example, a TCL plant might make TVs for other companies (according to what I read yesterday they do).   Each client such as HiSense, Insignia and Vizio (made those up) will give the design and technology specs, AND, the QC / testing requirement.  The client can have QC / testing requirements for all the parts suppliers too.  Those companies with the highest standards for QC and testing will end up with better quality end products, with fewer lemons and failures.  And of course a higher price.

I was on Amazon looking at the TVs and Amazon now has their own branded TVs, with nice prices.  I looked up where they are made:

Reportedly, all the exclusively developed Amazon Fire TV models and other Amazon media devices are made by Foxconn Technology Group, a subsidiary of Taiwan’s Hon Hai Precision Industry.

Probably just bias on my part, but I tend to think Taiwan products are better than Mainland China.

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

So anyhow, we took the Samsung to the shop this afternoon, and it worked fine there!  We showed him the error message but is was not specific.  He says sometimes they have funny issues due to network issues and that it is best to hard wire the network, so I will.

I played with that thing for a few days and could not get it to work.  Unplugged it and left it several times.  Tried to find a way to reset it, but that required being able to toggle around the menus, and that was what was wrong.  I couldn't move around with the remote or the joy stick on the back.  I have not hooked it up yet, so we will see.  p500 for they 10 minute diagnosis.  p6oo actually, but of course my wife haggled!

• Like 1