TCL Smart TVs = Opinions?

baronapart
Posted
Posted
On 8/17/2022 at 2:34 AM, OnMyWay said:

Our 6 year old 55 inch Samsung is on the blink.  When you try to select the source with the remote or the control on the back, it just does some crazy stuff, then comes up with a message to contact service.  I will have it diagnosed, but if the board is bad, the authorized service center said the board alone will cost around p7000.  If that is the case, total will be 10k, I think, parts and labor.  Might need to consider a new one.

I passed on TCL 6 years ago and bought the Samsung for 52K.  The TCLs SEEM better now and they are lower priced.  For example:

https://home.abenson.com/tcl-uhd-65p615.html

I do want Android if I buy one.  My BIL in Baguio has a 65 Skyworth that has a great picture.  I will need to stick with lower priced model.  Don't need the latest and greatest name brands.

I have two TCLs. A 43 inch 4k that I use as a second monitor for my Macmini and a 60 inch in the living room. Both have worked fine for us.

• Like 1

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, hk blues said:

we chose the model we did because it was the 22 model compared to the 21 models. 

2021 models are where the deals are though, and the 2022 model may not be much an upgrade at all, it depends. I chose a 2021 model because the newer one cost 40k more, and the only real difference was a more compact remote.

13 hours ago, hk blues said:

I don't buy online as there is simply too much choice which isn't always a good thing.  

Choice where? In the Philippines there are only two online sellers with a large TV selection and relatively decent prices. Thankfully they both have retail locations everywhere.

• Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

We just purchased a 65 inch Smart Television, on sale for 36K.  Not set up yet but the instruction manual is 65 pages!:shock_40_anim_gif: Page one tells you how to discard electronic devices.  Why does that not give me a good feeling? :hystery:   Will post my trials,, tribulations, and hopefully success when I get this all figured out.

IMG_20220818_195402.jpg

• Like 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Kingpin said:

2021 models are where the deals are though, and the 2022 model may not be much an upgrade at all, it depends. I chose a 2021 model because the newer one cost 40k more, and the only real difference was a more compact remote.

Choice where? In the Philippines there are only two online sellers with a large TV selection and relatively decent prices. Thankfully they both have retail locations everywhere.

The 2022 model was only 1k php more expensive so a no-brainer.  It was also slimmer and had HDR+ compared to the 2021 model, as well as a solar powered remote but otherwise no major difference but, as I say, for 1k it was well worth it.

I'm unsure why you say only 2 online sellers with large TV selection - there is no reason at all to limit research to the Philippines retailers.  However, as I say I don't waste my time on that as you can only buy what's available here so I go to the store directly.  I've used SM and Abenson online before for research they are both fine but I found Abenson never had the model I was interested in in my city and I am unwilling to pay for delivery.  

Edit to Add - I just noticed you said the 2022 model was 40k more than the 2021 model.  I have no idea what type of TV you were looking at but whatever it was it was way out of my budget - I wasn't even looking at paying 30k total for my set!

Edited by hk blues
  • Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Mike J said:

We just purchased a 65 inch Smart Television, on sale for 36K.  Not set up yet but the instruction manual is 65 pages!:shock_40_anim_gif: Page one tells you how to discard electronic devices.  Why does that not give me a good feeling? :hystery:   Will post my trials,, tribulations, and hopefully success when I get this all figured out.

IMG_20220818_195402.jpg

Instruction Manuals are for weaklings and women!  

• Haha 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

I have no idea what type of TV you were looking at but whatever it was it was way out of my budget - I wasn't even looking at paying 30k total for my set!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, hk blues said:

there is no reason at all to limit research to the Philippines retailers.

There is if you're buying, because if Philippines retailers don't have it in their limited selection, you can't get it in Philippines. In the US you research the best, in the Philippines it's the best of whatever happens to be available at the time you're buying.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Kingpin said:

There is if you're buying, because if Philippines retailers don't have it in their limited selection, you can't get it in Philippines. In the US you research the best, in the Philippines it's the best of whatever happens to be available at the time you're buying.

Which is why I go directly to the store and don't bother with the online search.  But, If I want to do research I'll either look at the manufacturer's site or some review sites but not SM or Abenson or the like as they are limited. 

• Like 2

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, hk blues said:

If I want to do research I'll either look at the manufacturer's site or some review sites but not SM or Abenson or the like as they are limited. 

I think you missed the point?

First you start at SM or Abenson to see what's available in your range, then you research to decide what to buy. Not the other way around, like you normally would in the US etc, for already stated reasons.

• Like 1