TCL Smart TVs = Opinions?

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, Mike J said:

Have not yet tried the ISDB.  Yes, watched all the Breaking Bad a few year back.  Another powerful series was "Sons of Anarchy".  Better have a strong stomach for that one. :shock_40_anim_gif:

I enjoyed Sons of Anarchy but got a bit tired  of Jax never actually leaving or finding excuses to stay.. I gave up after 5 seasons.  

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)

I just ordered another one of these on Lazada.  I paid around 1200 for the first one a few years ago.  Still works fine.  Now they are only700-800.  I have the current one in the bedroom and will put the new one on the big TV.   I use the old one on our 9 year old 42" LG in the bedroom because some of the SMART TV features like You Tube became outdated and LG no longer supported updates.  The box makes it into a Android TV.

You can download all kinds of apps to watch TV or movies, but we liked the free My Family Cinema that was installed for a trial, so I subscribed.  Paid about $3.99 a month for the and the last two years paid $29.99 a year.  Gets just about all the movies and TV shows, with a small lag from release.  TV shows like Yellowstone are predictable with a ~2 day lag.  Movies are more, like a week.  Also has many old classic movies, which I enjoy.

Edit:  I didn't pull the trigger because I noticed Lazada is pushing a sale starting the 28th.  Many of these will be less that 700.

Screenshot (743).png

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 4

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Mike J said:

I have started doing research to add a sound bar.  Sound is OK and much better than out old TV but I am sure a sound bar would be a good addition.

Soundbars can be great when they include separate rear speakers, I bought the Samsung HW-Q950A last year at SM, the new model is HW-Q930B

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

We recently bough a Samsung 43".  I finally got round to setting it up as we were waiting on the stand from Lazada - only took 3 weeks and that was from Manila!

Anyway, long story short - picture and sound quality excellent, as good as Sony and superior to TCL (as you'd expected).  Set up not at all user-friendly, problem setting up smart hub but after checking online got that sorted.  Apps much more limited than both TCL and Sony, no Discovery+ for example.  Tried online chat to resolve issues - a waste of time. agent was not knowledgeable and was dealing with other calls at the same time to the extent he sent some replies totally unrelated to my questions. He finally said if the app is not in the app store then it's not available - doh!  Remote is minimal and not as easy to use as it should be but I will get used to this.

Overall, once everyone is set up then it's a solid performer so all's well than ends well!

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, hk blues said:

We recently bough a Samsung 43".  I finally got round to setting it up as we were waiting on the stand from Lazada - only took 3 weeks and that was from Manila!

Anyway, long story short - picture and sound quality excellent, as good as Sony and superior to TCL (as you'd expected).  Set up not at all user-friendly, problem setting up smart hub but after checking online got that sorted.  Apps much more limited than both TCL and Sony, no Discovery+ for example.  Tried online chat to resolve issues - a waste of time. agent was not knowledgeable and was dealing with other calls at the same time to the extent he sent some replies totally unrelated to my questions. He finally said if the app is not in the app store then it's not available - doh!  Remote is minimal and not as easy to use as it should be but I will get used to this.

Overall, once everyone is set up then it's a solid performer so all's well than ends well!

One issue with Samsung and LG is that they have proprietary operating systems and the apps have to be configured specially for those.  They have not gone down the Android road, yet.  I mentioned earlier that my 9 year old LG does not have working You Tube, because they changed the operating system on newer models and the old You Tube app is no longer supported.

I always hated Sony products back in the day, because everything they did was proprietary.   Beta video, memory stick, etc.  I never bought them.  Their business eventually dumped in the 2000's, maybe due to this.  So I was surprised to see Sony putting Android in their TVs.

Spring for one of those Android TV boxes.  You will be able to get all the Android apps.  On sale on Lazada Saturday.

Did you get a Samsung Magic remote with it?  I like those and I have had two originals, both lasting about 2 years.  I just got these knockoff replacements on Lazada, with the silicon covers.  They should take the drops and bangs a lot better.

301181034_944842779806533_7337815155004834562_n.jpg

• Like 2

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I was surprised to see Sony putting Android in their TVs.

With Google play too,  you can download whatever app you want.  LG is still much better though, the only reason I switched to Sony is price.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

One issue with Samsung and LG is that they have proprietary operating systems and the apps have to be configured specially for those.  They have not gone down the Android road, yet.  I mentioned earlier that my 9 year old LG does not have working You Tube, because they changed the operating system on newer models and the old You Tube app is no longer supported.

I always hated Sony products back in the day, because everything they did was proprietary.   Beta video, memory stick, etc.  I never bought them.  Their business eventually dumped in the 2000's, maybe due to this.  So I was surprised to see Sony putting Android in their TVs.

Spring for one of those Android TV boxes.  You will be able to get all the Android apps.  On sale on Lazada Saturday.

Did you get a Samsung Magic remote with it?  I like those and I have had two originals, both lasting about 2 years.  I just got these knockoff replacements on Lazada, with the silicon covers.  They should take the drops and bangs a lot better.

301181034_944842779806533_7337815155004834562_n.jpg

Yep...Samsung has its own OS -Tizen so no android apps or Google Play Store available, or at least not readily.  T.B.H. it's a set for my son's room so mainly for playing his Nintendo Switch and watching Netflix so no real need to add much more.  If it was our main set then I'd certainly be looking at adding an Android stick but the next set I buy will probably be a Sony as they are now Android and we are happy with the one we already have.

Yes, we have the Samsung Magic remote - certainly minimalist but maybe too much as we need to access the on-screen menus more than I'd like.  For example, if we want to select HDMI input (my son's Switch) there is no input selection button so we need to go to Home first and select from there (that said, I've just realised there is a channel up/down button which we don't need as we don't use "normal" TV which may allow HDMI to be selected - I need to try it). Also, it took the 3 of us a good hour to work out how to increase the volume as, unlike most remotes, it's not a push up/down button but a "rock" up/down motion - doh!

I'm nit picking though, the picture and sound quality are excellent and that's what matters most.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, BrettGC said:

I like it, easy to find as a brighter colours as well.

Exactly!  We have a black sofa and loveseat, and we used to constantly "lose" the remote.  Hiding in plain sight!  Now, easy to spot.  They have glow in the dark covers too, but I think the price was ~700.

• Like 3