Travel to AU Questions

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 9/30/2022 at 9:14 PM, OnMyWay said:

How did it look as you were leaving?  Was it really a mess?  We will go to Manila so it might be different.

Yes, a couple of weeks will be expensive for us.  I think I have ruled out finding an Air Bnb in Sydney for New Years.  However, here is a house someone might interested in with a view of the bridge.  Only p465,000 a night for New Year.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/43730410?check_in=2022-12-30&check_out=2023-01-02&guests=1&adults=3&children=2&s=67&unique_share_id=c12fff8d-5296-4237-957b-970a71dbcd06

I just happened to see this one again and it is booked all the way until Jan. 11.  And for Jan. 12, it has two night minimum.  2 nights at p98k a night, only p196k.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 9/30/2022 at 6:49 PM, Colsie said:

Submitted application online Sat 10th Sept

Submitted Biometrics Cebu Tue 20th Sept 

Recieved Grant email Wed 21st Sept 8:50am

On 9/30/2022 at 4:27 PM, Gas said:

Her most recent visa application was this year and it took 47 days.  She is a regular visitor to Australia and the processing time pre covid was usually less than 30 days. You might get luck and it will be processed quickly. 

I submitted the visa applications today.  I tend to overkill things like this, so hopefully they will be approved quickly.  Planning to do the biometrics next week in Manila.  Previous travel seems to be important to them as it is one of three mandatory things you must give them, and my stepdaughter has been to NZ twice, US once, Hong Kong and Singapore.  My wife quite a bit more than that and they both have current US tourist visas.

I know they will be approved but it is a question of when.  I have not booked the tickets on Cebu Pacific yet.  Last time I checked a few days ago, plenty of seat, but I hope they don't jack up the price.

Does anyone know of travel insurance for Australia visitors?  Especially one that will cover trip cancellation?  I will be buying insurance.  For New Zealand, I used Southern Cross but it seems they are not writing policies for AU tourist right now.

• Like 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

Does anyone know of travel insurance for Australia visitors?  Especially one that will cover trip cancellation? 

Check the World Nomads website. If you’re using a credit card to pay for your trip, then you might also want to check with them. Many are still offering extended Covid coverage benefits. 

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I pulled the trigger.  Cebu Pacific booked.  I used my US credit card.  Unbelievable how they try to scam people.  You choose to bill in dollars or pesos.  I did the calc and if you choose dollars, they convert the pesos at 54!  It would cost the customer around $200 if they choose that.

• Like 4

Colsie
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I pulled the trigger.  Cebu Pacific booked.  I used my US credit card.  Unbelievable how they try to scam people.  You choose to bill in dollars or pesos.  I did the calc and if you choose dollars, they convert the pesos at 54!  It would cost the customer around $200 if they choose that.

Airasia are worse...you have to choose a method of payment, then they charge you for choosing debit card etc...there was no charge for paying using e-wallet on my first reservation, but funnily enough the second time I tried paying with GCash they charged 600php, I think debit card was double that...budget airlines eh! 

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, Colsie said:

Airasia are worse...you have to choose a method of payment, then they charge you for choosing debit card etc...there was no charge for paying using e-wallet on my first reservation, but funnily enough the second time I tried paying with GCash they charged 600php, I think debit card was double that...budget airlines eh! 

The other downside to Airasia is that they operate as separate entities in each country.  For example I flew Gold Coast - KL - Cebu and in KL we had to go through customs, collect our baggage and re-check it then go through customs again.  Why?  Airasia Malaysia operates independently to Airasia Philippines.  The weird thing is our boarding passes were issued all the way through.  The upside was it was a 50% discount at Red Planet Hotels which are a small step up in quality from Go Hotels here in PI.    

• Like 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
39 minutes ago, Colsie said:

The charge on my Capital One credit card is $3314.91 and the pesos charge at Cebu Pacific was p195,125.45.  That equals 58.86 exchange rate.  Cebu Pacific $3577.98 which equals an exchange rate of 54.53.  3577.98-3314.91 = $263.07 loss if you let them charge in dollars.  What a ripoff!

If I did not get a low rate on Cebu Pacific, I don't think we would have taken the trip.  PAL is p400,000!  Qantas is 350ish, I think.  I got an exit row for myself (p2550 each way) and the family will be right behind me.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 10/12/2022 at 5:48 PM, Gator said:

Check the World Nomads website. If you’re using a credit card to pay for your trip, then you might also want to check with them. Many are still offering extended Covid coverage benefits. 

For Philippines, World Nomads partners with AXA.com.ph.  I also contacted a expat insurance guy and he sent me a Pacific Cross brochure.  At first glance, Pacific Cross is cheaper but the coverage on AXA is better.   It is very tedious to do a deep dive on these because you have to start out with apples to oranges and turn it into apples to apples.  I won't spend to much time on it and err of the side of better coverage.

• Like 1

Colsie
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, BrettGC said:

The other downside to Airasia is that they operate as separate entities in each country.  For example I flew Gold Coast - KL - Cebu and in KL we had to go through customs, collect our baggage and re-check it then go through customs again.  Why?  Airasia Malaysia operates independently to Airasia Philippines.  The weird thing is our boarding passes were issued all the way through.  The upside was it was a 50% discount at Red Planet Hotels which are a small step up in quality from Go Hotels here in PI.    

That's not good news... The budget terminal sucks big time as well... Every time I use Airasia I say never again, then after 5yrs I end up falling for low fare again... 

How painful where the covid requirements when you used them Brett? ... We've got the philvac certs so hope it's just a case of downloading the Malaysian app... Will do some research nearer to December...

Joey G
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I got an exit row for myself (p2550 each way) and the family will be right behind me.

Wait.... whaaaaaat?????  Hopefully "Miss Philippines" isn't sitting next to you.... or you moving back a row I think:6:

• Haha 4