Travel to AU Questions

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, hk blues said:

Of course.

Which is why I have long since given up on having any kind of privacy online and really cannot get even mildly irritated now at how much personal data we need to provide at every turn. 

No point fighting it!

I have had a Yahoo e-mail address since the 80's or 90's.  In the last month or two, I am flooded with scam e-mails, mostly from Lowes, Home Depot, Ace hardware, and other stores.  Of course it is not their e-mail and is a random strange e-mail.  When I mark it as spam, Yahoo asks me "Do you want to unsubscribe from ABC123@456.com?  So, somehow, my e-mail address has been subscribed to, or made available to, all of these scammers.  Yahoo does not think it is spam because I am subscribed, I guess.

I guess I am going to have to start a new e-mail address.  That one is used for everything.  Banking, investments, etc.  I will have to change them all.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

AU rental car questions:

1.  Lots of tolls in AU. Do toll roads allow cash payments?  If not, how are tolls handled on rental cars?

2.  Any tips on getting a good deal on rental cars?  I'm looking at something like a Toyota Camry or medium SUV.

Gas
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

There is some confusing wording and I had already checked that.  That says ALL Nationalities applying for a visa require the biometrics.  My two young daughters and I are travelling on U.S. passports and don't need a visa if staying less than 3 months.  We need the ETA (Electronic Travel Authority) which is done on their phone app, and is free.

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/electronic-travel-authority-601#HowTo

Thanks.  I use the ETA every 12 months but  being dyslexic the wording confused me! 

• Like 1

Gas
Posted
Posted
28 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

AU rental car questions:

1.  Lots of tolls in AU. Do toll roads allow cash payments?  If not, how are tolls handled on rental cars?

2.  Any tips on getting a good deal on rental cars?  I'm looking at something like a Toyota Camry or medium SUV.

The tolls are all electronic and the car hire company will automatically  charge it your credit card you at the end of the trip. It’s really not that expensive. 

Pre covid we always hired at Brisbane airport but the prices had nearly doubled earlier this year, so we  hired off airport at nearly half price. 
The medium SUV Mitsubishi Outlander was 30,000php for 17 days. Easily fit a family of 5 and plenty of room at the back for luggage. 

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
49 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

AU rental car questions:

Can't really help there, I always borrow one of my brother's cars.  

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

I have had a Yahoo e-mail address since the 80's or 90's.  In the last month or two, I am flooded with scam e-mails, mostly from Lowes, Home Depot, Ace hardware, and other stores.  Of course it is not their e-mail and is a random strange e-mail.  When I mark it as spam, Yahoo asks me "Do you want to unsubscribe from ABC123@456.com?  So, somehow, my e-mail address has been subscribed to, or made available to, all of these scammers.  Yahoo does not think it is spam because I am subscribed, I guess.

I guess I am going to have to start a new e-mail address.  That one is used for everything.  Banking, investments, etc.  I will have to change them all.

As far as I'm aware, if you have subscribed to such organisations the regular emails you get should have an unsubscribe button. I don't recieve many spam mails but just delete them when I do. It's quick to do and a lot less hassle than setting up a new email which will likely soon come under attack anyway.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, hk blues said:

As far as I'm aware, if you have subscribed to such organisations the regular emails you get should have an unsubscribe button. I don't recieve many spam mails but just delete them when I do. It's quick to do and a lot less hassle than setting up a new email which will likely soon come under attack anyway.

I never subscribed to any of them.  Somehow is appears that the e-mail is due to a subscription, but the e-mail is a spoof, trying to get you to click on something.

Like this one, the e-mail address is 

<daphnemirandacjw@whitehpuse.com>

They are all something like this.  You won!  You get something free.  And Yahoo does not think they are spam.  Some how my e-mail address is severely compromised. 

Screenshot (838).png

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

Can't really help there, I always borrow one of my brother's cars.  

Where does he live and what time can I pick it up?  :hystery:

• Haha 1

OzeMike
Posted
Posted
On 10/22/2022 at 12:08 PM, Dave Hounddriver said:

Are you taking your wife to Australia,  OnceBitten . . . er I mean OzeMike?

Yes Dave....holiday only!:shades:

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 10/23/2022 at 10:37 AM, Gas said:

The tolls are all electronic and the car hire company will automatically  charge it your credit card you at the end of the trip. It’s really not that expensive. 

Pre covid we always hired at Brisbane airport but the prices had nearly doubled earlier this year, so we  hired off airport at nearly half price. 
The medium SUV Mitsubishi Outlander was 30,000php for 17 days. Easily fit a family of 5 and plenty of room at the back for luggage. 

I missed this earlier.  Thanks so much!  The Outlander was one that caught my eye as a good fit!

There is a hybrid Toyota SUV with a name I can't recall.  Might be worth having a hybrid if the price is right.