Travel to AU Questions

Colsie
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

I think that is normal.  The airline owes you a refund or a rebooked flight.  They don't cover costs that are refundable from the vendor.

Thanks OMW, that makes sense! 

I never usually bother with travel insurence, so was unclear about such things. Taking the GF to Aus, so I reckon it's essential for this trip. 

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Colsie said:

Thanks OMW, that makes sense! 

I never usually bother with travel insurence, so was unclear about such things. Taking the GF to Aus, so I reckon it's essential for this trip. 

I get it mainly for the medical coverage.  Traveling to some Western countries like the U.S., an accident or severe illness could wipe me out.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
Colsie
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 10/15/2022 at 6:54 PM, BrettGC said:

Airasia Malaysia operates independently to Airasia Philippines.  The weird thing is our boarding passes were issued all the way through.  The upside was it was a 50% discount at Red Planet Hotels which are a small step up in quality from Go Hotels here in PI.    

I'm sitting here in KL airasia budget terminal having flown here from Manila through the night.

In Manila I was able to get my boarding pass for the connection flight to Perth Western Australia and also I could check my bags and bikes straight through to the final destination, Perth. 

Surprised how the budget terminal has changed here in KL, it used to be a shed. 

Metrobank debit card worked fine in the airport restaurants, just tap and go. Also, food and beverage not expensive here. 

Will go to the gate if my other half ever appears from the CR 🙄

Edited by Colsie
  • Like 5

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Colsie said:

I'm sitting here in KL airasia budget terminal having flown here from Manila through the night.

In Manila I was able to get my boarding pass for the connection flight to Perth Western Australia and also I could check my bags and bikes straight through to the final destination, Perth. 

Surprised how the budget terminal has changed here in KL, it used to be a shed. 

Metrobank debit card worked fine in the airport restaurants, just tap and go. Also, food and beverage not expensive here. 

Will go to the gate if my other half ever appears from the CR 🙄

Safe travels!  We leave on Saturday.  

PAL justed announced nonstop to Perth, starting March 2023, I think.

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 3

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

PAL justed announced nonstop to Perth, starting March 2023, I think.

Good info thanks... might have to visit the kids in WA using that route down the track (until now it's been a bit of a pain and domestic flights from Victoria are basically as expensive as flying from Manila to Melbourne).

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Hey guys, in AU, can we get common cold and flu meds over the counter?  Especially for kids?  I'm bringing some, but trying not have too much.

@BrettGC@GeoffH

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
28 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Hey guys, in AU, can we get common cold and flu meds over the counter?  Especially for kids?  I'm bringing some, but trying not have too much.

@BrettGC@GeoffH

Yes mate, all the common stuff is available over the counter.  Codeine is prescription only now though. 

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Leaving tomorrow, so I will think up last minute questions.  Thanks in advance!  We need to meet up so I can buy you many beers!

Regarding Tap n Go payments.  I have not really used that because it had not really caught on in the U.S. when I left the U.S. ten years ago.  So, using a chipped credit or debit card, you tap or swipe it, and that is i?.  No id, signature, etc.?  I'm hoping my U.S credit card (Capital One Mastercard) and BPI Debit Mastercard will work without a hitch for small purchases.  I will use the credit card as much as possible.  How about taxis?  My BPI manager is not familiar with it but said ATMs should be fine.

Got 2000 AUD at BPI today for 37.7 pesos per AUD.  XE is 37.10 so that doesn't seem too bad.  Cost me about 600 pesos.  I'm guessing the airport changers will be much worse.

@BrettGC @GeoffH

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Leaving tomorrow, so I will think up last minute questions.  Thanks in advance!  We need to meet up so I can buy you many beers!

Regarding Tap n Go payments.  I have not really used that because it had not really caught on in the U.S. when I left the U.S. ten years ago.  So, using a chipped credit or debit card, you tap or swipe it, and that is i?.  No id, signature, etc.?  I'm hoping my U.S credit card (Capital One Mastercard) and BPI Debit Mastercard will work without a hitch for small purchases.  I will use the credit card as much as possible.  How about taxis?  My BPI manager is not familiar with it but said ATMs should be fine.

Got 2000 AUD at BPI today for 37.7 pesos per AUD.  XE is 37.10 so that doesn't seem too bad.  Cost me about 600 pesos.  I'm guessing the airport changers will be much worse.

@BrettGC @GeoffH

Tap and go is literally that, tap the top of the machine that you'd normally swipe or stick your card in.  When I left the limit was $200AUD per transaction, that may have changed though.  Only downside is that it takes a couple of days to show in your balance; yes it does change your available balance immediately, but still shows the total balance similar to how a Visa or Mastercard debit facility when you hit credit as opposed to pushing savings/checking.  

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

We decided to bring a car seat for out 6 year old.  It is a high quality Graco booster seat that we bought in the U.S. but I don't think they are sold in AU.  It looks almost the same as this:

https://www.amazon.com.au/Maxi-Cosi-Titan-Pro-Nomad/dp/B084PJBPGY/ref=as_li_ss_tl?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B084PJBPGY&pd_rd_r=6b52f380-7b56-480f-8dc3-4f7720506acc&pd_rd_w=NUc2f&pd_rd_wg=7oHt1&pf_rd_p=3110bce1-464f-467c-8098-428d37e4d608&pf_rd_r=81FYTYAPYKS6EZVK7HV6&psc=1&refRID=81FYTYAPYKS6EZVK7HV6&linkCode=ll1&tag=aussiedad-22&linkId=ddeaa015fc4caeadab45d67ff07e40aa&language=en_AU

I read that only car seats bought / approved in AU can be used.  Surely they are not pulling people over to look if the car seat is AUJ approved????