Travel to AU Questions

hk blues
Posted
Posted
52 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I booked Gold Coast to Melbourne yesterday.  Brisbane to Melbourne flights are ridiculous and have gone up since I posted.  70-80 k pesos for the 5 of us.  I booked Virgin from OOL for 27,758 pesos plus estimated 9300 pesos for Uber XL from Brisbane to Gold Coast.  Total of 37k pesos is less than half of BNE/MEL.

Our flight from Gold Coast is not until 2035 so we are going to take the Uber early and spend the day in Gold Coast.  We are going to try the Aquaduck and probably the Skypoint Tower and ???.  We don't want to go to Marine World.

Question:  Are tourist places generally open on Boxing Day?  It is a big retail day, right?

Wow...that's a long trip! :hystery:

• Haha 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Wow...that's a long trip! :hystery:

My wife hates it when I use military time.  Old habit from my old career.

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Question:  Are tourist places generally open on Boxing Day?  It is a big retail day, right?

All tourist venues and most hospitality and retail will be open - Boxing day sales are the equivalent of Black Friday in the US.  

If you're doing the aquaduck in the morning you could do Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary in the afternoon.  It's a nice walk and close to the airport and the rosella feeding at 4pm is incredible. https://currumbinsanctuary.com.au/

image.jpeg 

• Like 4

OzeMike
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Yes  tourists spots are open Boxing Day...and the shopping centre's are packed for Boxing Day sales.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 10/27/2022 at 2:18 PM, OnMyWay said:

The Outlander was one that caught my eye as a good fit!

Not every rent a car company has the same vehicles.  Years ago I got an Outlander at one company, the next time I asked at another and they did not have. You have to check what's available first. 

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

For our last leg of the trip, I am probably going to book Jetstar, Melbourne to Canberra.  ~27,000 peso at a good time (noon) vs. the next cheapest ~37,000 on Virgin and 8:30 pm.  The Jetstar direct flight is only 1 flight a day.  If it doesn't fly you can go via Sydney or the next day direct.

Key thing is that we don't have hotel / Airbnb bookings in Melbourne or Canberra (staying with family and friends) so if in the worst case we were delayed a day, we could manage.  I will also have travel insurance if we incur any extra costs.

Worth the risk for 10,000 pesos?

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

Anecdotally Jetstar tend to have the highest rate of cancellations and delays of any of the Australian domestic airlines (Qantas, Virgin Australia, Jetstar and Rex).

And because they're a budget carrier they also tend to have the least useful and timely responses to issues.

Is it likely your flight will be cancelled? 

That's a fairly low (but non zero risk) but delays are somewhat common from what various family members and myself have experienced.

Neither Virgin or Qantas are perfect either (and Rex who are a bit more efficient) have a much smaller (and mostly regional) route network.

I can't say if a 'somewhat better' on time record is enough to justify 10,000 pesos for you.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

For our last leg of the trip, I am probably going to book Jetstar, Melbourne to Canberra.  ~27,000 peso at a good time (noon) vs. the next cheapest ~37,000 on Virgin and 8:30 pm.  The Jetstar direct flight is only 1 flight a day.  If it doesn't fly you can go via Sydney or the next day direct.

Key thing is that we don't have hotel / Airbnb bookings in Melbourne or Canberra (staying with family and friends) so if in the worst case we were delayed a day, we could manage.  I will also have travel insurance if we incur any extra costs.

Worth the risk for 10,000 pesos?

per person? 

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, hk blues said:

per person? 

All 5 of us, so 2000 per head.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, OnMyWay said:

All 5 of us, so 2000 per head.

At 10,000 per head I would 100% take a chance.  At 2,000 per head it's  less clear but it sounds like it wouldn't be such a big deal to you so maybe worth saving the 10K.