Amazon free shipping to Philippines

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, hk blues said:

Yep, I get that but the Ninja or whatever guy shouts Lazada/Shopee etc etc when they are delivering but I've never heard them shout Amazon.  Also, I've never seen Amazon packaging by the garbage.  I genuinely don't think it's popular amongst locals.   

I think the main reason for the lack of popularity is that many, perhaps most, Filipinos have no knowledge of and/or experience with Amazon.  You see many adds for Shopee and Lazada everywhere here, especially on the video games that are played.  I do not recall seeing any adds for Amazon here.  I think it primarily expats that buy from Amazon.

<snip>Shopee, for instance, has spent an estimated US$500 million in marketing in the last four quarters – assuming it consumes a majority of SEA's US$760 million sales and marketing budget Nov 6, 2020<end snip>

<snip>For Lazada selling promotions and advertising purposes Lazada uses various media platforms. Lazada does promotions via ads, online ads, websites, billboards, etc. to create brand awareness. Lazada too, gives offers and does sales promotions to retain customers’ interest.<end snip>

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, hk blues said:

True...but there is with a credit card as well.

Yes.  I don't think about that because my CC is USD based.  However, if a local peso based credit card is visa or mastercard, the exchange rate should be fair.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Mike J said:

I think the main reason for the lack of popularity is that many, perhaps most, Filipinos have no knowledge of and/or experience with Amazon.  You see many adds for Shopee and Lazada everywhere here, especially on the video games that are played.  I do not recall seeing any adds for Amazon here.  I think it primarily expats that buy from Amazon.

<snip>Shopee, for instance, has spent an estimated US$500 million in marketing in the last four quarters – assuming it consumes a majority of SEA's US$760 million sales and marketing budget Nov 6, 2020<end snip>

<snip>For Lazada selling promotions and advertising purposes Lazada uses various media platforms. Lazada does promotions via ads, online ads, websites, billboards, etc. to create brand awareness. Lazada too, gives offers and does sales promotions to retain customers’ interest.<end snip>

4 hours ago, Kingpin said:

It's definitely not, but it's very popular with expats. Starting a few months back, every item I'm looking for I search on both Lazada and Amazon, no reason not to.

I think we're all on the same page here... for various reasons Lazada and Shopee dominate the online business in the Philippines and, perhaps save for a few cases, it's mainly expats who use Amazon.  I'd perhaps go even further and suggest mainly American expats.  That said, I did buy a couple of CDs from Amazon many years ago and had them delivered here but it was via my sister in the UK rather than myself directly.

I will most likely order football/soccer boots for my son in the next couple of months from Amazon unless I can find them here before.  Purchasing online is usually my last resort than first.  

• 5 weeks later...
OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

After one year of great service from Amazon free shipping, they messed up.  Two orders, 3 shipments, all at the same week.  Seemed to be a problem with Aramex.

1 shipment damaged and returned to Amazon.  2 shipments lost in transit.  All 3 refunded.  On the lost in transit, they said if they arrive, I can keep them.  It has only been 12-14 days since I ordered.  I think they know more about what happened than they are telling me.

• Like 2

Ram1957
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

After one year of great service from Amazon free shipping, they messed up.  Two orders, 3 shipments, all at the same week.  Seemed to be a problem with Aramex.

1 shipment damaged and returned to Amazon.  2 shipments lost in transit.  All 3 refunded.  On the lost in transit, they said if they arrive, I can keep them.  It has only been 12-14 days since I ordered.  I think they know more about what happened than they are telling me.

I've had 5 orders in the last 2 months and 4 of the orders were shipped and delivered by Ninja Van with no problems. One order used Aramex and was delivered by LBC, was not impressed with them. Aramex takes longer to get to the final location. Hope Amazon drops Aramex.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 10/6/2023 at 11:04 AM, Ram1957 said:

Hope Amazon drops Aramex.

The problem is, Aramex may be the reason that Amazon can offer the free shipping to Philippines.  Their normal U.S. based Int'l carriers like DHL, Fedex and UPS are probably not able to offer a competitive price.

I thought Aramex was doing a good job before this incident.