Hello Everyone ! I have some questions about Living there... How's the Beef and Beer there ???

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Lieutenant Dan said:

Yeah, as others have already said, you’ll be paying a small fortune for them. S&R (owned by Costco) has a wide range of American foods, including beef, fresh milk, and just about any type of American food if money is no object. When you see the ‘Kirkland’ brand, you’ll feel like your back in the USA. The food court is identical to Costco, where you’ll find the all beef hotdogs, pizza, calzones, etc. Besides the foods, there’s beer from all over the world, including Belgium, Germany, Mexico, and last but not least, the USA.

Pizzas at S & R can usually be fairly good, but for a large (16"?) at about $15, they sometimes hardly seem worth it - little sauce lately, sometimes few toppings sort of helter skelter here and there... 

San Miguel makes great beers - Pilsen, Light Pilsen and others. You can even by Budweiser in some places if you like thin, watery, tasteless beer? (Sorry.... I had to say that!) and as noted above, some quality beers from Europe and Mexico. Good wines are available (but not cheap) mostly from Australia or Chile. Sure, you can find Mouton Cadet but prepare to drop $50-100 depending on variety and vintage...

• Like 3

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
On 1/15/2023 at 9:17 AM, Gino64 said:

Can I get a Decent supply of Western Foods there ?

Depends where you live. Around Manila or Cebu it's no problem, you can even get it delivered from the many markets like S&R, Robinson's / Marketplace, etc.

It's actually one of the main reasons to live around Manila or Cebu, because the further you get, the less Western anything is available.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

difficult to buy Beef there

Local beef is only good for the pressure cooker or marinating for a week but as some have mentioned imported is available but dont know about Davao. Plenty of places to buy in Cebu and they might ship it.  

Just a couple in Cebu, 

https://jedcocebu.com/  , https://www.delifoodsdepot.com/ and S&R plus Landers and even Metro supermarket has some at times.

Also, what Beer to you all recommend

I drink San Mig Light

And how about Bread

Bread here is mostly very sweet. You can find some decent bread but depends on where you are. Bake your own.

HEINZ KETCHUP

Always available in my area.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Local beef is only good for the pressure cooker or marinating for a week but as some have mentioned imported is available but dont know about Davao. Plenty of places to buy in Cebu and they might ship it.

Here in Moalboal they kill one cow a week.  Slaughtered late on Friday and sells at the wet market on Saturday.  Never tried it and no plans to do so in the future.   There was a place that sold frozen imported beef from USA and Australia.  Most of their meat was sold to the local resorts and they went went out of business during covid.

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
35 minutes ago, Mike J said:

Here in Moalboal they kill one cow a week.  Slaughtered late on Friday and sells at the wet market on Saturday.  Never tried it and no plans to do so in the future.   There was a place that sold frozen imported beef from USA and Australia.  Most of their meat was sold to the local resorts and they went went out of business during covid.

I'm guessing ageing meat before selling it is not a thing here. 

• Hmm thinking 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

As @Jollygoodfellowstated, local beef is tough and suited mostly to cooking to death (since it may not already be dead when you buy it?:tongue:) All grocery stores here in Davao carry the local beef and some have imported beef. All have tons of pork and chicken, some have decent fish. I shopped a local NCCC store last week and they had a beautiful, fresh, yellowfin tuna ready to carve - @ P740/kgm... Maybe that is cheap in USA, but it was beyond my budget that day... In retrospect, maybe I should have bought it since L went shopping in the city and could either not find onions, or the few available were over 700/kg!!! Shit!!!

As @insitementioned previously, Mindanao Meats provides excellent beef. They seem to have offerings in NCCC stores in the Davao area. It is all frozen, but some is Wagyu, Angus and other high-end cuts and seem to commonly come from Australia. spray some WD40 into your wallet so you can open it wide and spill out P2,000-5,000/kg! But I did buy an Angus cut of ribeye (P850 for less than .5 kg) two weeks ago and it was the best steak I have had here, ever!

By the way... what happened to the OP? Is this another fishing expedition or trolling here?

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 2

Nickleback99
Posted
Posted

As noted by many, S&R has a lot of what you are asking about and at still Somewhat decent prices, and that is available to you in D. City like OnMyWay said, and  as LtDan hinted, multiple western beer, wine and booze choices, including single malts and good bourbons from what I saw.  I'm not much into hoppy beers unless with pizza, but have seen several in various places.  Haven't seen my Sam Adams anywhere, but I can wish! ....Never had a bad Sam Adams of Any variety.  No S&R here in Dumaguete, But there is a local market specializes in foreign imports, including a butcher shop of sorts and a true deli,  They had a huge slab of bone-in ribeye when I was last there.   All the steaks there are frozen as most were at S&R.  Also found a little off beaten path Pizza and subs place here, opened by a Chicago native, and it was Good, including the bread.  He has the equipment and supplies to make it happen from what I saw and talking to him.  So,  once here and if you ask/search around, you Can find a Lot of what you want/need....just takes boots on ground time and patience.

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted

My advice here is to ensure the right girl...... Modesty aside I live like a king here food wise. My partner, as many Filipina  are is cooking mad, always on you tube food channels, has many gurus she follows. If some western products are price prohibitive, as many are there are many substitutes that can survive. 

Example we tend to eat curries on Sunday night, she is up to 36 on a list if 50 posted by an Indian chef. All ingredients are bought local or she grows hydroponically.  Most people I have met that crave Western foods echo the former sentiments of posters here, just to dam expensive.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, BrettGC said:

Not in Moalboal for sure.  Maybe closer to larger cities where it might make financial sense to build a facility to age hanging beef? 

• Like 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, BrettGC said:

It’s already aged - “on the hoof”! 🤣

• Haha 3