Starting my planning

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Note that I lived in the Philippines for about 12 years on PHP60,000 a month so I know it can be done.

Let me add:  In 2008 that was 50% MORE than a lot of Americans I knew who were living like a king on US$1,000 a month when the rate was 40/1 and those guys were barely making it.  Fast forward to 2019 and I was living on less than anyone I knew and barely making it.  Inflation ya know.  I would not try it now, but that's me.

• Like 3

Possum
Posted
Posted
41 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Let me add:  In 2008 that was 50% MORE than a lot of Americans I knew who were living like a king on US$1,000 a month when the rate was 40/1 and those guys were barely making it.  Fast forward to 2019 and I was living on less than anyone I knew and barely making it.  Inflation ya know.  I would not try it now, but that's me.

There's a difference in living and having a life.

• Like 3

CebuAndy
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

so they can somehow feel good about themselves if they have more

You must have met the wrong expats then. I was the 'poorest' among those who become my regular expat friends, I never felt they belittle me or looked down on me.

I value another expat for his genuine friendship. His budget is really not my concern.

poor expats should just go home as they don't belong there

What is poor? Only knew 1 poor guy, the expat beggar usually around Fuente and sometime Ayala.

I would never have told anyone who had 50k php budget, to go home. I would say 'well done, teach me in detail, how to do that'.

Perhaps I am just sensitive to that because it happened to me a lot.  

When I met you, I thought you would stay in RP forever.

I can see how negative comments from other expats, can wear one down. Personally I didn't find the expats in Dumaguete very friendly, but no problem at other locations like Bohol and Boracay.

• Like 5

Possum
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

OH?  Do tell.  How much do you need to keep up with the Jones'?

I should warn the OP that is something he needs to be wary of.  A high percentage of other expats will want to know how much his budget is so they can somehow feel good about themselves if they have more.  Perhaps I am just sensitive to that because it happened to me a lot.  I was even told by a rich expat that poor expats should just go home as they don't belong there. The other members here who live on minimalist budgets seldom mention it, but there are lots of them.

I was not in any way belittling you  and I personally don't care for keeping up with any Jones. I live a simple life here. I  was agreeing with you that cutting things too close budget wise can have consequences due to inflation, medical costs etc which can cause one to have a poor quality of life.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

CebuAndy
Posted
Posted

Cheap alcohol and cheap girls can ruin a mans fortune and life. Newbies might indulge in both, only to see their plans and savings running out, quickly. Newbies normally find the wrong type of girls, (been there) the girls that goes beyond 'psist - psist' sound, to get your attention. The girls that approach a foreigner so directly, are never a good girl.

What's often forgotten, is to have a proper high coverage insurance. Only takes 1 serious medical issue to change expat life from heaven - to impossible - to hell.

■ a realistic budget, beyond survival mode, with a emergency fund.

■ from day 1 in country, live same a expat - not same a tourist. In other words, avoid nightlife and booze, don't eat in malls all day.

■ don't hook up with a girl as soon one gets here. Be careful with internet dates. You're not the only one, sure.

■ a good health insurance.

■ meet up with seasoned expats for advice, early on.

■ Who Wants To Meet, under social clubs and meetings - is a good place to start, just before arrival. A Wingman will be any wannabe expats best bet, for all kind of info, to avoid mistakes of any kind.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Greglm said:

There's a difference in living and having a life.

8 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

OH?  Do tell.  How much do you need to keep up with the Jones'?

I should warn the OP that is something he needs to be wary of.  A high percentage of other expats will want to know how much his budget is so they can somehow feel good about themselves if they have more.  Perhaps I am just sensitive to that because it happened to me a lot.  I was even told by a rich expat that poor expats should just go home as they don't belong there. The other members here who live on minimalist budgets seldom mention it, but there are lots of them.

Hmmm, wrong side of the bed?  Wifey have you sleeping on the sofa?  Dave seems cranky! :hystery:

I never had any of that stuff happen but then I don't socialize with many expats, while I have the impression that you were very social with a huge network of friends.  I wish I was more like that but family is my main thing now.

I'm having dinner with the wealthiest expat I know this evening, and he is a great down to earth guy who does not look down on anyone.

• Like 3

Freebie
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Kingpin said:

Can't be stated enough, find a girl with little to no family and that takes care of that problem.

Actually conventional wisdom says orphans are the ones  in the highest demand......lol

• Haha 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Freebie said:

Actually conventional wisdom says orphans are the ones  in the highest demand......lol

Rich orphans are even better!  :smile:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4