Starting my planning

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, RBM said:

Was going to mention this, P2k for car rego? mine has never been under P3k for years, this does not include smoke test but does include the cheap compulsory insurance.

That's averaged out per month including fuel, insurance and rego.  Sometimes the fuel is more, sometimes less. 

Edited by BrettGC

RBM
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

That's averaged out per month including fuel, insurance and rego.  Sometimes the fuel is more, sometimes less. 

Wow could do with you here to sort my budget as I receive no pension due to crazy strict NZ residency requirements. I spend more than P2k  a month fuel alone, due for battery soon, P7k just fitted 2 tyres at P16k. Fueled P1.5k last week, gauge went from 1/4 to just over 1/2. We do not run around that much, just local. 

Seems your a very disciplined guy, wish I could be same.

• Like 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, BrettGC said:

NORECO I: 14.25PH

PI bills have add-on charges listed for a page in addition to the power charge.  Well, where I am that's the case anyway.  

And there’s often the landlord’s add on of a few pesos per kw.  My current landlord doesn’t add anything on……she shows me the actual bill every month.  But I have had it happen with other places I’ve rented;  both long term rentals and even years ago at an Airbnb condo I rented in Cebu for 5 months.

@ the OP - if you plan to rent from Airbnb or another similar site for a month or more, be sure to ask if utilities are still included in the rent or not. 

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, RBM said:

Wow could do with you here to sort my budget as I receive no pension due to crazy strict NZ residency requirements. I spend more than P2k  a month fuel alone, due for battery soon, P7k just fitted 2 tyres at P16k. Fueled P1.5k last week, gauge went from 1/4 to just over 1/2. We do not run around that much, just local. 

Seems your a very disciplined guy, wish I could be same.

Actually, take the rego out of it, it's a new car and we got 3 years LTO.  Oh, I forgot to include log book servicing which admittedly we do get cheap from Toyota due to buying there car from there, but it's still something that needs to be added.  Thanks for making me look a little harder at the numbers.   We don't do a lot of running around either, once a fortnight up to San Carlos, maybe once a month to Dumaguete and that's where the fuel bill goes up.  It's only a 1.5ltr engine so pretty economical.  For quick runs into town here, only 5 mins away, we tend to grab BiL's bike.  

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

My experience also starts from the Pacific Northwest. My remembrances are sometimes a bit fuzzy... The big cost in a suburb of Seattle was the water - the more you used, the more it cost per cubic foot, I think. I recall paying close to $100/month in the summer months when watering veggie garden and lawn. Winter time was much less. Electric was not a lot, but I really don't recall the exact amounts - maybe $50/month? But then, I used a wood stove and alder wood that was on our land to do the primary heating. Most electricity was used for lights, fans and cooking since there was no gas service out in the sticks...

Here the costs seem reversed... Water, even when we water garden, lawn and ornamental plants seems a pittance at usually P100-200/month. Electricity is much higher since we use air/con nightly in our bedroom and also sporadically when entertaining relatives or guests or if it just seems too hot in the living room on an afternoon. Anyway, the latest average has been about P4,500/month, or maybe US$80-90/month. The killer is filling up the old Mazda SUV for P3,000 at a go. But that is only every two-three weeks lately.

My God! Food has jumped a lot with fish topping the list. Yellowfin used to be around P400/kg... a bargain at that compared to USA. Now it is hard to find fresh for less than P700/kg. And, as elsewhere described, onions cost the same or more than yellowfin!!!! when you can find them!!!

• Like 3

Freebie
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, hk blues said:

You're lucky you're not here though, Steve.  The most expensive electricity in the world apparently :whistling: 

And the most expensive onions too.... maybe eggs will be Number 1 in cost soon.  Who's the Minister of Agriculture here.. oh wait.. .rewind.... lol

• Like 2

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

onions cost the same or more than yellowfin!!!! when you can find them!!!

Another can of worms

prices of onions are expected to decrease around the second week of January since this will be the beginning of the harvest season which will improve the supply. - https://www.sunstar.com.ph/article/1949674/cebu/local-news/slammed-for-inaction-on-onion-price-hike-da-points-to-lgus

Instead, prices increased.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Mike J said:

We lived in Yakima, WA (USA) prior to moving here to Moalboal.  Based on the current exchange rate this how the rates compare, almost three times the rate here versus Yakima.  But we use far less electricity here than we did in the USA, and we also had to pay for natural gas for heating 6-8 months a year.  Our current electric bills runs about 4-5K peso per month.  If we are using our pool and running the filter each day for 8-10 hours, the bill increases about 2.5K peso.  We seldom us AC, but usually have one or more fans going.  So yes rates are high, but as @hk blues writes, your actual monthly expense for utilities could be less.  Our future plans are to have a 5-7 KW solar system installed.

Yakima, WA = 5.47 peso per KWH (ten cents per kwh)

Moalboal = 13.75 peso per KWH.  

Note - Rates in the Pacific Northwest of the USA are generally lower than average as much of the power is from hydroelectric dams. 

To throw this into the mix -

UK Fuel Costs -

34.0p/ kWh

34.0p/ kWh (pence per kilowatt hour) for electricity and 10.3p/ kWh for gas, inclusive of VAT, from 1 October 2022 through to March 2023.

And the UK was only the 4th most expensive in Europe!  

The Philippines is far, far from being the most expensive country for electricity.  

• Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

To throw this into the mix -

UK Fuel Costs -

34.0p/ kWh

34.0p/ kWh (pence per kilowatt hour) for electricity and 10.3p/ kWh for gas, inclusive of VAT, from 1 October 2022 through to March 2023.

And the UK was only the 4th most expensive in Europe!  

The Philippines is far, far from being the most expensive country for electricity.  

Don’t forget to add the standing charge for the electric and gas per day 

The average daily standing charge cap is 46p for electricity and 28p for gas, for customers on default tariffs with typical usage paying by direct debit

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, stevewool said:

Don’t forget to add the standing charge for the electric and gas per day 

The average daily standing charge cap is 46p for electricity and 28p for gas, for customers on default tariffs with typical usage paying by direct debit

Indeed Steve.

I will say, for balance, if we were talking relative cost of electricity then that would bridge the gap between the UK and the Philippines.  If we take the typical family here with income of let's say 35,000php then their electricity is likely 10% of their income.  If we take the same in the UK then it would be 4k income and an electric bill of £400? so the same 10%.  

• Like 1