Moss and Mold

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

We're having a major moss and mould issue on our driveway right now.  It's a perfect environment for them, no sun at all and will all the rain we've been having lately it's thriving. 

I don't really want to buy a pressure cleaner but we need to get rid of it.  It's at a point where it's dangerously slippery even when it's dry. 

We've tried scrubbing it down with stiff brooms and bleach but it came back a couple of weeks later. The only thing I can think of that may help is some kind of defoliant left for a few hours then another scrub.  I realise we have to kill the microscopic spores but not sure how to.  

Here's a couple of pictures of what it's like right now.  

Moss 1.jpgMoss 2.jpg

Yes, we are planning on replacing the concrete in the entire area later this year but in the meantime....

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

Bleach will kill mold that it comes into contact with but it may not penetrate to the base of the mold, try adding some detergent to your mixture (preferably liquid).

It will act as a wicking agent allowing the bleach to penetrate better.

NB... don't breath the fumes.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 5

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

Bleach will kill mold that it comes into contact with but it may not penetrate to the base of the mold, try adding some detergent to your mixture (preferably liquid).

It will act as a wicking agent allowing the bleach to penetrate better.

Will that work for the moss as well?  It's what's making it slippery even when dry. 

• Hmm thinking 1

Possum
Posted
Posted

Diluted vinegar and water works also. Turns yellow, dies and can be scrubbed away. Diluted muriatic acid does a fast number on it if you're really mad at it.

• Like 5

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, BrettGC said:

I don't really want to buy a pressure cleaner

My pressure washer won't stay running.  I'm not sure why.  I'm de-pressured.  I miss her so much.  :sad:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, BrettGC said:

Will that work for the moss as well?  It's what's making it slippery even when dry. 

Are you sure it’s moss?  It could be green mold?  Not sure what kills moss…

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

My pressure washer won't stay running.  I'm not sure why.  I'm de-pressured.  I miss her so much.  :sad:

Mine also stopped working just a couple days ago, no pressure at all.  Have not tried taking it apart yet so not sure why it stopped.

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

21 minutes ago, Mike J said:

Mine also stopped working just a couple days ago, no pressure at all.  Have not tried taking it apart yet so not sure why it stopped.

What brand did you guys buy? So I know not to buy one in the event I change my mind :whistling:

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, GeoffH said:

Not sure what kills moss…

Bleach kills everything, including moss.

The problem is that it will eventually return, especially with all this rainy weather.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

What brand did you guys buy? So I know not to buy one in the event I change my mind :whistling:

Mine worked great until it didn't. 

IMG_20230202_070426.jpg