Observations on Philippine Dining

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Greglm said:

How he was able to buy a McDonald and Jolibee franchise is anyone's guess. Look up the owners of the national franchises in the Philippines for a good education on who gets the business here.

The local master franchisor for McDonalds is George Yang.  He is a graduate of the Wharton School of Finance, University of Pennsylvania.  Large corporations like San Miguel Corporation also wanted the franchise.  They bragged about their ability to get good locations and source for supplies within their subsidiaries.  George told them, "I know absolutely nothing about food franchising so I will be 100% dependent on you."  George gave McDonalds to one of his children to manage and relocated to Singapore where he licenses all the Disney tradenames and trademarks throughout Asia.  This includes the China market.  

RBM
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Kingpin said:

I mentioned the solution before; stick to international restaurants that generally don't even serve rice, that will eliminate loud families and their bratty kids. And the staff are trained to Western standards.

Your telling us.....An International restaurant here that does not serve rice......Sorry thats just to much.....

RBM
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Nickleback99 said:

So exactly what place (this one!) should I avoid here in Negros?.  I'm open to PM if prefer to not list here.  I'd prefer to avoid your recent experience.

No problem, our experience was at Monford here in Bacolod, often buy these little malunggay pandasal from a guy whom has an oven trike. Noticed the sign on the road opposite.  Last time.

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, RBM said:

Your telling us.....An International restaurant here that does not serve rice......Sorry thats just to much.....

Too much what?   They have risotto but that's not what most locals want

https://restaurantguru.com/FPN-Epic-Center-Mezzanine-Floor-Mandaue-City-2/menu

https://restaurantguru.com/The-Pig-and-Palm-Cebu-City/menu

• Like 1

usa32
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Staff won't bother coming to the table until you are ready to order.  Signal is to raise your hand like a schoolboy, and they will come.  You can also make a loud "pssst!" sound, but this is very rude in the West because it is considered demeaning.  

yeah, as a foreigner its very easy to be perceived that you are ordering around or looking down on locals there. I just didn't want know they were ever going to come back, ha. So I just waived my hand and they came.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, usa32 said:

yeah, as a foreigner its very easy to be perceived that you are ordering around or looking down on locals there. I just didn't want know they were ever going to come back, ha. So I just waived my hand and they came.

Which is quite ridiculous as locals are much more likely to do this than us foreigners.  As mentioned above, "psst"ing at staff is hardly something us foreigners would likely do.

Gator
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, hk blues said:

"psst"ing at staff is hardly something us foreigners would likely do.

Depends on what orifice the “psst” is coming out of 🤣🤣🤣

hk blues
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Gator said:

Depends on what orifice the “psst” is coming out of 🤣🤣🤣

I'm not sure which would be more rude - probably both about the same! 

• Haha 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 2/22/2023 at 6:21 AM, Kingpin said:

Maybe you can, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone though.

As we talk about Cebu tap water and for example, Pipeline bar in IT park makes all their drinks which are bought as like a pitcher of something from a packet straight from the tap as l watch them do it. I dont hear of any problems.

• Like 3

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

As we talk about Cebu tap water and for example, Pipeline bar in IT park makes all their drinks which are bought as like a pitcher of something from a packet straight from the tap as l watch them do it. I dont hear of any problems.

Bars can have filtration systems. To me one of the basic rules of life is never drink third-world tap water.

• Like 1