Annoying Local Behavior

usa32
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I am going to go a bit off topic... It is a very short rant....

Please delete or move as you see fit, Mods...

My personal opinion is that FaceBook is the arch criminal in all this. Even L shows me things she sees on FB and tells me I/we really need this.... No!

Her co-teachers buy stuff online through FB continually. There is a sort of competition going on with who buys or owns the next neatest thing. It seems like as soon as some product is introduced online, people pounce on it and buy it in droves. L has bought a few things this way and I just shrug my shoulders and say....okay, nice. There seem to be ongoing "auctions" for "stuff" that seems to be used and probably for sale at an ukay ukay store.....but it is available online using a sort of bidding system. 

In short, consumerism is rampant here and one-up-man-ship seems to be part of the system.  The poorest people seem to fleece themselves out of their hard-earned (sometimes) wages.

Sorry.... end of rant!

I agree, but this is not a Philippine thing. Like 60 percent of Americans, have 0 savings as well. Buying the latest gadget or car. And this is in a country (usa) where really no one has an excuse to not have some decent amount of savings. In the Philippines not as easy to build up a significant nest egg.

• Like 4

Major Tom
Posted
Posted

(1) The 'Stink Eye' given by some locals to Westerners gets on my nerves.

(2) The 'Hey Joe' shouts given by smirking teenage local boys also gets on my nerves.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Major Tom said:

(1) The 'Stink Eye' given by some locals to Westerners gets on my nerves.

(2) The 'Hey Joe' shouts given by smirking teenage local boys also gets on my nerves.

Those don't bother me (sticks and stones) come to mind. What does bother me is kids taking pot-shots at my dogs with catapults. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

baronapart
Posted
Posted (edited)

I take Hey Joe in stride. As a sort of a compliment to our WW2 forefathers. The youth that use it are just lazy. I find some young people where I am at are eager to practice their English with me. If "Hey Joe" is the worst thing that I have to deal with here then I am doing ok.

As for Facebook there are so many pyramid schemes that just outright steal poor peoples money. Ughh.

Edited by baronapart
  • Like 3