Annoying Local Behavior

RBM
Posted
Posted

It can work.....Take the esplanade in Iloilo, one would be lucky to find so much as a candy wrapper. Its as nice as one could ever hope to enjoy, plus most of up town similar. Perhaps once people see the beauty, enjoy it combined with heavy penalties it can happen.

• Like 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Hopefully still on subject but I find amongst a certain type of expat picking up Filipino traits that we find annoying seams quite common. I've lost count of the times an expat has highlighted a simple issue that could make everyone's life better only to be told by fellow expats we are guests in this country and must accept it.  Almost as if their standards are just as low. :whistling:

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

Onemore52
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Snowy79 said:

Hopefully still on subject but I find amongst a certain type of expat picking up Filipino traits that we find annoying seams quite common. I've lost count of the times an expat has highlighted a simple issue that could make everyone's life better only to be told by fellow expats we are guests in this country and must accept it.  Almost as if their standards are just as low. :whistling:

Hopefully still on subject, that their complaints of being poor and not able to afford anything doesn’t hold water when it comes to their work ethic.

As an example the gardener who I employ gave me a sob story about having to borrow money from a loan shark during the pandemic and borrowed 120k from him, so I gave him a job at 500php a day.

He has showed up for work 2 days this week.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Onemore52 said:

Hopefully still on subject, that their complaints of being poor and not able to afford anything doesn’t hold water when it comes to their work ethic.

As an example the gardener who I employ gave me a sob story about having to borrow money from a loan shark during the pandemic and borrowed 120k from him, so I gave him a job at 500php a day.

You must be paying him daily.

Onemore52
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Old55 said:

You must be paying him daily.

Yes I did say 500php a day no problems.What I neglected to say is that his wife works in the factory and she as well has only worked 2 days this week.

We used to offer his wife extra work in our house as a domestic help ( not a maid) but she declined that extra pay.

On the subject of maids  there isn’t any to be found.

• Hmm thinking 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Onemore52 said:

Carpenters and gardeners seem to have these common traits, based on the 10-20 I have used in the last 10 years.

Smoke

Drink

One or more families with kids

Never save a peso

Always broke

Always ask for cash advance

I think I mentioned in another topic one that we had that we kinda liked.  He got a full time job working for the dock company thus could not work for us anymore.  Seemed like a solid job.  He had not worked for us in about 6 weeks when he texted my wife and asked if she could loan him money until payday.

• Haha 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, OnMyWay said:

He had not worked for us in about 6 weeks when he texted my wife and asked if she could loan him money until payday.

Normal Pinoy move EH?

• Love it 1
  • Haha 1

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Onemore52 said:

My wife just opened a small grocery store and none of the 12 people she hired lasted a month lol, most quit after 2-3 days. Now we have 50% more staff than we need just in anticipation of half of them quitting at the same time.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Carpenters and gardeners seem to have these common traits, based on the 10-20 I have used in the last 10 years.

Smoke

Drink

One or more families with kids

Never save a peso

Always broke

Always ask for cash advance

I think I mentioned in another topic one that we had that we kinda liked.  He got a full time job working for the dock company thus could not work for us anymore.  Seemed like a solid job.  He had not worked for us in about 6 weeks when he texted my wife and asked if she could loan him money until payday.

My father was a carpenter - he ticks a few of those boxes but I won't say which ones! :hystery:

• Haha 4