Pinoy Skills And Traits We Wish We Had

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, JJReyes said:

New technology is for the West.  Their consumers want the newest inn6vations.  Old technology is sent to developing and underdeveloped countries like the Philippines.  That's how global companies get rid of old equipment.

But twist off caps are decades old! Take a look... there are the standard pop-top cans here...why not the twist-offs? :89:

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

But twist off caps are decades old! Take a look... there are the standard pop-top cans here...why not the twist-offs? :89:

At least the 70's in Australia, so hardly new technology. 

Gator
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

Possibly the “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” mentality often seen here. And if is broke then fix it as cheaply and with the cheapest material possible! 🤣

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Does anyone know why there are no twist off beer or soda caps here in Philippines?

I think it because they refill the bottles here and a twist top bottle will not hold up to be used again.  In the US recycled bottled are crushed and melted back down instead of being reused.

• Like 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Gator said:

Twist off type? 🤣

She certainly was! :hystery:

• Haha 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

It's not just in the Philippines that twist off beer caps are uncommon - they are a rarity in Europe in general and I think only the imported American beers have them in the UK.  

I assume it's a cultural thing rather than economic in the UK, a lot of take away beer in the UK is solid in cans rather than bottles.  

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Mike J said:

I think it because they refill the bottles here and a twist top bottle will not hold up to be used again.  In the US recycled bottled are crushed and melted back down instead of being reused.

I used to home brew with the larger twist top bottles, no issues using the old style with a lid press.  

• Like 1

Patryk
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, Gas said:

Opening a tin can with any object that is lying around. One of my wife’s sales lady’s can open a can with a teaspoon. 

can openers are one of most frustrating objects ever purchased by me here, thanks for pointing this out I have to bring some from Europe. As a side note do you know any shops which sell good STAINLESS STEEL kitchen utensils?

Gator
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, Patryk said:

can openers are one of most frustrating objects ever purchased by me here…….As a side note do you know any shops which sell good STAINLESS STEEL kitchen utensils?

Try Rustans for utensils. Expect to pay top peso though (you get whet you pay for). S&R and Landers may also have a limited selection as well. 

You can probably find a good can opener Rustans too, but you can also check in one of those Japanese variety type stores in the mall. I bought a stainless steel vegetable peeler from one a few years ago and it’s still as sharp as the day I bought it.  

• Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, Gator said:

Try Rustans for utensils. Expect to pay top peso though (you get whet you pay for). S&R and Landers may also have a limited selection as well. 

You can probably find a good can opener Rustans too, but you can also check in one of those Japanese variety type stores in the mall. I bought a stainless steel vegetable peeler from one a few years ago and it’s still as sharp as the day I bought it.  

Where do you go Rustan's?