eTravel - BIG BROTHER is watching

Rooster
Posted
Posted

I'm departing for 2 weeks to Thailand soon and then return. I completed the eTravel departure requirements. It's an intelligence gathering tool, very intrusive, asks many personal details. I can understand it's use in the past to confirm vaccine status for arrivals but now they want to know everything about everyone who enters and departs which is the job of BI already who scans everyone's passports on arrival/departure. My guess is eTravel inf. is nothing but an abusive intelligence gathering tool for all governments who have access to it. BIG BROTHER is indeed watching.

https://etravel.gov.ph/

• Hmm thinking 2

Freebie
Posted
Posted

Yet another one. This all started with the requirement ( Sir its protocol) during covid for the providing pf vast amounts of details.. and the result was spamming /scanningto the max. That resulted in the SIM Registration which is yet another intrusive personal detail grab.

Im also heading to Thailand in 2 weeks but i thought you can only do the etravel thing up to 3 days before travel ?

Re that as an SRRV holder I also applied for their nonsense travel pass that immigration has never ever checked. ... result. .site is deemed by firefox to be dangerous, do not proceed. Sent a screenshot of that to PRA.

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

I trust the Philippine government to protect this information about as much as I trust my BiL's wife's mother not to spread gossip; She's queen of the Chismosa. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
Just now, Jollygoodfellow said:

So before you wrote on a card all your details on a shaking plane and now its an intelligence tool. Yes the old one was on paper and the new one is modern. 

The card was put into a collection bin after use and probably never referred to again; the ePass data is stored for we don't know how long. 

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Just now, BrettGC said:

The card was put into a collection bin after use and probably never referred to again; the ePass data is stored for we don't know how long. 

Bit like everything in the modern world but I won't get stressed about it as my info and your info is stored in many places. If I had something to hide I might be worried but see no harm in answering a few questions. 

• Like 2

P_X
Posted
Posted (edited)

I hate the response to things like this that go.."if you're not doing anything wrong, who cares" because it is definitely an intrusion.  But as I age, I realize this won't affect me at all because im not doing anything wrong, so "who cares"..

Trust me this stance has slowly grown from one extreme.."anti establishment " to, where it is now..which is similar to.."we tried to warn you since the 80s and you didn't listen so enjoy your dystopianism when I'm long gone."

Eases my mind As opposed to the former me that would immerse himself in conspiracy and feebly attempt to inform the deaf.

Docile in my old age I guess.  

Nowadays I see the finish line and would rather bury my head in the sand in regards to all these issues I can do nothing about.. 

The former me would admonish the ladder me severely for such a stance..buttt.."who cares " hehe

Edited by P_X
Typos
  • Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, Freebie said:

Im also heading to Thailand in 2 weeks but i thought you can only do the etravel thing up to 3 days before travel ?

That is correct. The calendar will be blocked out. The OP probably only registered for an account.

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Bit like everything in the modern world but I won't get stressed about it as my info and your info is stored in many places. If I had something to hide I might be worried but see no harm in answering a few questions. 

It's not the actual sharing of info that worries me, but who I share it with and who I trust that info with.  It's a security issue.  Given the number of high profile hacks in Australia recently where most companies/agencies have their ducks in a row with regards to cyber security, I dread to think how bad it could be here in PI.  I'd like to be proven wrong but given the state of many official government websites, written in old, obsolete code so vulnerable, no 2FA on offer and no or very vague privacy statements, I'm reluctant to share.  

This was reinforced with various check-in apps at the height of the pandemic; the amount of spam people received before proper regulation was insane. 

I'll share anything, even the number of hairs on my left big toe, as long as I trust them to keep it private.  

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
53 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

Seems like most countries would store the data from the cards.  Philippines, who knows?

The U.S. retains the data from the cards for a long time.  It is used by immigration for several purposes.  You can even access it online.

https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home

• Like 1