No wonder Philippines has a diabetes problem

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Forum members are encouraged to check my math.  I kind of hope I made a mistake in my calculations as my per capita number scares the crap out of me.

Six month demand = 3.1 MMT sugar
Population = 103 million

Metric ton is 1000 kilo
Demand in kilo = 3.1 X 1,000,000 X 1000 = 3,100,000,000 kilo

Demand / population
3,100,000,000 / 103,000,000 = 30.01 kilo per person for six months

So the final line = 5 Kilo of sugar per month for every man, woman, child in the Philippines :sad::sad::sad:

https://www.manilatimes.net/2023/05/16/news/marcos-approvesimportation-of-more-sugar/1891737

The President further stated that the government is opening the importation of sugar "to all traders."

According to SRA forecast inventory, the country will have a negative ending stock of 552,835 MT by the end of August 2023, the end of the milling season, and importation of another 100,000 MT to 150,000 MT of sugar is necessary to avert a shortfall.

As of May 7, 2023, the country has sufficient supply of raw sugar with a beginning stock of 160,000 MT. However, an additional 100,000 to 150,000 MT of sugar would still be needed to be imported within the year as the expected local production of 2.4MMT, as well as the 440,000 MT allowed to be imported under Sugar Order 6 and the 64,050 MT under the Minimum Access Volume (MAV) mechanism will not be able to cover the 3.1MMT demand.

Apart from the approved importation of sugar, Marcos also approved the moving of the start of the milling season from August to September this year as this is deemed "important for the corresponding increase in production by approximately 10 percent."

Opening the milling season in September will improve raw sugar recovery because it will minimize the milling of young canes.

The President likewise directed the SRA to expedite block farming initiatives -- a system by which small farm lots are consolidated into at least a 30 hectare-block farm -- for more production yield.

Currently, there are 21 block farms in the country averaging at least 40 hectares each.

Once organized into block farms, farmers are entitled to financial and mechanization support for increased production.

"Consolidation is an important part of agro-industrial production. We're looking at increasing the budget for block farming to accelerate the process of organizing the block farms," Marcos said.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

Filipinos' love of processed foods knows no bounds.  Anything in a can or sealed package is packed with sugars, salt and in many cases trans fats (which are banned in most countries).  

In many OECD countries fast food outlets are banned from adding sugar into their buns, fries etc and trans fats are gone or if not outright banned, subject to a sugar tax.  Not in PI though.  

When I say sugar I'm meaning sweetener (not artificial) and including corn syrup as well, which has proven to be even worse than actual refined sugar for spiking blood sugar.  

All the refined foods such as white rice which have basically had much of the nutritional value taken out of them during the refining process and turned a once very healthy food in the form of brown/red/black rice into a high GI (Glycamic Index) fibreless, ticking time bomb with regards to diabetes.  Low GI foods such as brown/red/black rice are great and they still have all their fibre.  If you can find it, quinoa is best, but expensive by comparison.  The same goes for potatoes:  Normal potatoes high GI (bad), sweet potatoes low GI (good). 

Type 2 diabetes (the type that is induced by lifestyle and diet) runs in my family.  I've spent a lot of time avoiding it.  Yes it is a lifestyle thing but some people have genetic markers that cause a predilection for type 2 diabetes, amongst other things.  

Pre-disposition or not, the bottom line is we should all be eating like type 2 diabetics that are looking after themselves with indulgences no more than once or twice a week.  

I've managed to wean much of the family off some of their lifelong habits but some things I can't change so for some meals I cook myself something seperately.  AM is on board with it, she's spent a good chunk of her adult life living in Europe and has been educated by absorption, but Momma is a difficult nut to crack and unfortunately is most at risk.  She's complaining of having tingling feet when she wakes up (lack of blood flow), urinating much more often than her previous norm, being constantly thirsty even during the cooler months.  

All of the above is based on trained medical professionals' advice.  Dr Google can be a good resource but thoroughly research the source material if any is cited. Or, ask your doctor/dietitian/nutritionist. 

There's no such thing as a diet; it's a lifestyle change if you want to make a meaningful, lasting impact on your health.  

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

baronapart
Posted
Posted (edited)

I am in Salug, Zamboanga del Norte, Mindanao at the moment. We went shopping at Prince Supermarket in the next biggest town, Sindangan. I tried to find sugar substitute. Quickly I was surrounded by 10 "associates" trying to figure out what I was looking for. Suddenly the manager said with a self satisfied smile "Honey!". I just smiled and thanked them for trying to help me. There was an aisle stacked with all kinds of sugar. As the Koreans say "Eisch!" It has become my favorite word)))

Edited by baronapart
  • Like 4

Ram1957
Posted
Posted

The biggest problem is fast food. When I was stationed at Clark in 1977, the population was more healthy than today.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Of my wife's Filipina American friends here in the US most are overweight but none morbidly obese.

Wife and I are struggling with our weight avoiding salt and sugar as best we can. When we visit Cebu I lose at least ten pounds but my wife gains it. LOL

• Like 4