Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum Joe

• Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Joe LP said:

I am a diabetic.  I have zero relatives who have it.  I got it from a severe car accident I was in that left me in the hospital for a month, then 2 months's more of rehab hospital.  Long story short, the rice is as much a culprit of diabetes here as the sugar.  All carbs minus dietary sugars turn to blood glucose.  As soon as I was labeled a diabetic, I took a class that I then repeated twice since then(due to advancements in the diabetes industry).  

Type 1 or 2 diabetic?

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Okay.... I'll admit it... I really enjoy potatoes... - boiled, broiled, baked, fried, mashed.... all okay with me. It is one of my most comfort foods. I do understand that the skins are some of the most healthy parts, so always eat them too. L is okay with them and, for me, it is a welcome change to the normal rice diet. I like rice, but only so much and not for breakfast and not so fond of the bleached out white rice that has little to offer except empty carbs.... So there you go... that's my opinion... it may be wrong, but it's still my opinion!

• Like 3

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

I really enjoy potatoes...

Sweet potatoes?

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Kingpin said:

Sweet potatoes?

Yup.... from all I have read, sweet potatoes are the real thing.... Except L claims that they cause lots of utots (farts). We have not scientifically  checked that out yet... and don't want to!

From what we have both read, sweet potatoes are one of the healthiest foods available... 

And, of course, the added butter, bit of salt and lots of rosemary certainly add to the experience.

Actually, tonight I will cook up some veal sausage, but cook it in sauerkraut, onions, garlic potatoes, green beans too!

Edited by Tommy T.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

sauerkraut

Where do you get your sauerkraut?

Joe LP
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Type 1 or 2 diabetic?

Type 1.  The accident did damage to a lot of my internal organs.  I was getting for about 18 months post accident weekly blood tests(more for the drugs at the time they were giving me and to make sure they were playing nice together than anything) but also to check my "blood levels" in other things.  It took about 5 years before my pancreas finally gave out, but my sugars were always a touch high after the accident, I paid it no attention.  Again, I was very, very ignorant on the whole diabetic thing.  Most likely, in large part, to not knowing any diabetics or being related to any.  But yeah, it hasn't worked now for over a couple decades.  

• Like 1

Joe LP
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Okay.... I'll admit it... I really enjoy potatoes... - boiled, broiled, baked, fried, mashed.... all okay with me. It is one of my most comfort foods. I do understand that the skins are some of the most healthy parts, so always eat them too. L is okay with them and, for me, it is a welcome change to the normal rice diet. I like rice, but only so much and not for breakfast and not so fond of the bleached out white rice that has little to offer except empty carbs.... So there you go... that's my opinion... it may be wrong, but it's still my opinion!

Brother, I was born and raised country.  I grew up eating potatoes in every way much the same way my father was.  I love them, but now as a diabetic, rarely eat them.  Just too many carbs in them for me to do it.  Had baked almost every sunday meal with butter, chives, sour cream, etc on them.  Boiled, mashed, fried were also all enjoyable.  I didn't mean to dis potatoes.  My post was more about the reality that despite how good and enjoyable they may be for a lot of us to eat, diabetics need to watch out for those(sweet, white, idaho, ube, etc) when we are keeping our blood sugars in check.  

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Joe LP said:

Type 1.  The accident did damage to a lot of my internal organs.  I was getting for about 18 months post accident weekly blood tests(more for the drugs at the time they were giving me and to make sure they were playing nice together than anything) but also to check my "blood levels" in other things.  It took about 5 years before my pancreas finally gave out, but my sugars were always a touch high after the accident, I paid it no attention.  Again, I was very, very ignorant on the whole diabetic thing.  Most likely, in large part, to not knowing any diabetics or being related to any.  But yeah, it hasn't worked now for over a couple decades.  

Wow!  That is an unusual way to get diabetes!  Hope you are doing well!

Unlike Type 1, type 2 is much more preventable and "curable".  I have never seen breakouts of Type 1 and Type 2 in the statistics but I guess Type 1 is a small percentage.

• Love it 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Wow!  That is an unusual way to get diabetes!  Hope you are doing well!

Unlike Type 1, type 2 is much more preventable and "curable".  I have never seen breakouts of Type 1 and Type 2 in the statistics but I guess Type 1 is a small percentage.

You are correct.  From our friend Mr. Google

<snip>According to the CDC, 90 to 95 percent of people with diabetes in the United States have type 2. Just 5 percent of people have type 1.<end snip>