No wonder Philippines has a diabetes problem

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, GeoffH said:

Enough blood that the blood is sucked (by capillery action) through and into the replacable stick, try to get it on the end of the stick, not on top of it.

Ah, ok, there were no instructions on that part.  I just had a small drop on top.

• Like 1

Joey G
Posted
Posted

The problem isn't white rice... it's how MUCH rice!!!  Kinda like B-Day cakes... you don't need 5!!! One will do... just do smaller pieces :biggrin:

Joe LP
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I just bought one on Lazada.  Less that p400.  I only tried it once and no luck.  It didn't seem to detect the blood on the stick.  How much blood do you have to put on the end the the stick?  Mine was just a small dab on top of the sensor thing.

In most cases these days, blood doesn't got "on" the stick, but "in" it.  I haven't seen any of the old school meters in a while.  Talking over a decade.  That said, I wouldn't be surprised if there are still some out there.  But I just haven't seen them.  Most meters these days "suck the blood in" from the end of the strip.  These were already largely in use when I became diabetic over 20 years ago.  But now days, I don't know of any meter makers that still use the old "put the blood on" the strip setups.  

So with more meters, you prick the side of the final third of your finger(less pain than pricking the front of the finger where there are more nerves) then roll your opposite hand fingers sideways across that part of your finger towards the prick site to push out a large droplet of blood that in most cases will just sit on your finger.  Then you take the end of the stick and gently touch it against the blood droplet on your finger and it'll suck it in.

Tina's cousin bought one online also.  Had issues.  For 400 php I doubt it's a good brand or maybe even a legit meter.  I have been getting the "Walmart brand" meter sent over for about a decade now(have a few in back up for just in case reasons) and they work very well.  Very, very simple. Only remembers last test number.  Very simple. But, for someone in my shoes, well worth it at about $20.  That's damn cheap in the USA.  You start getting into freestyle brands or accucheck brands and you start in the $100 plus range and can go up into the hundreds and hundreds.  What you bought was for about $8.  That is some really low price for a meter.  Be careful with it as even if you can get it to work, I'd be a little concerned with how accurate it is.

• Like 1

Joe LP
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, GeoffH said:

Enough blood that the blood is sucked (by capillery action) through and into the replacable stick, try to get it on the end of the stick, not on top of it.

I should read all my notices before I respond to one.  You put it in better terms what I tried to say.  Thank you for this. If he can't understand my rambling, this should clear it up for him.  

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Or just use one of these for continual testing

image.png

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Or just use one of these for continual testing

image.png

I could not understand how a watch could monitor your glucose level.  :89:  So I did some research.  Turns out it is not the watch but rather a sensor that sends data to the watch.  For the benefit of others who are curious, this article explains how it works.  This is a monster of an article with a lot of visuals, URLs, etc. so I did not post the text.

https://www.healthline.com/diabetesmine/what-is-continuous-glucose-monitor-and-choosing-one

Joe LP
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Mike J said:

I could not understand how a watch could monitor your glucose level.  :89:  So I did some research.  Turns out it is not the watch but rather a sensor that sends data to the watch.  For the benefit of others who are curious, this article explains how it works.  This is a monster of an article with a lot of visuals, URLs, etc. so I did not post the text.

https://www.healthline.com/diabetesmine/what-is-continuous-glucose-monitor-and-choosing-one

Acturally, there are watches in development that will read the sugars themselves.  It is a new tech that deals with laser and sensors.  Sounds painful to me but I guess, per reports, isn't at all. But, the "bottom" of the watch has lasers that "shoot" into your skin to create a "heat signature" that then causes the blood to become "readable" to the sensors.  I think Apple is actually one of the companies leading this charge.  There were other watches that tried this to "read the sugar levels" through the skin and are not very accurate.

The watch shown is one of the setups of reading a sensor under the skin.  Those have been around at least 15 years now, and continue to improve.  Seen them with their own sensors that look like a regular meter to them working with smart phones to watches and stuff like tablets and all.  The under the skin sensors do work, but have other "logistical problems" for anyone living in the Phils that do not live near a big city with a doctor that can do his part on putting the sensor in and removing when the time comes and such stuff.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
59 minutes ago, Joe LP said:

The watch shown

【Non-invasive Blood Glucose Test】Built-in blood sugar detection chip, wear on the wrist, always know your blood sugar value. The watch is equipped with an optical sensor, which can be used for daily 24-hour uninterrupted high-precision monitoring.

Onemore52
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

【Non-invasive Blood Glucose Test】Built-in blood sugar detection chip, wear on the wrist, always know your blood sugar value. The watch is equipped with an optical sensor, which can be used for daily 24-hour uninterrupted high-precision monitoring.

Where to buy it from please?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Onemore52 said:

Where to buy it from please?

Note I have not yet tried it.  I am considering it and that is why I have the link to Amazon Canada.  Click here for the link.  But you can Google "glucose monitor smart watch" in Amazon to get lots of options.