No wonder Philippines has a diabetes problem

Onemore52
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Note I have not yet tried it.  I am considering it and that is why I have the link to Amazon Canada.  Click here for the link.  But you can Google "glucose monitor smart watch" in Amazon to get lots of options.

Thanks.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Note I have not yet tried it.  I am considering it and that is why I have the link to Amazon Canada.  Click here for the link.  But you can Google "glucose monitor smart watch" in Amazon to get lots of options.

Not diabetic but writing computer programs as a profession, I always find new tech interesting.  I read the manufacture comments and Q&A on four of these devices.  I am not diabetic but if I was I would  tread carefully before trusting my life/health to these.  Just my opinion of course.

<snip>This product is not a medical device,it is only used as an auxiliary intelligent electronic product; the measurement data and results for reference only, not as diagnosis and treatment data<end snip>

<snip>The non-invasive blood glucose is an innovative function and still in the testing stage, please do not measure frequently in a short time or use it for medical purposes;<end snip>

<snip>Measurement data may be affected by environmental differences and is for warning purposes only.<end snip>

Q & A

<snip>Q: How accurate is the glucose reading?
A: Not even close off by 100 points<end snip>

Edited by Mike J
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Joe LP said:

What you bought was for about $8.  That is some really low price for a meter. 

Yes, I know.  Next time I get a real lab test, I will compare the readings.  They actually have something in the instructions where you can calibrate it, I think.

I no longer have a blood sugar problem because I avoid any kind of sugar.  My wife might be borderline so I bought two.  I'm going to set hers up today.

Due to the fact that I was pre-diabetic 2 years ago. and I have changed my diet, I do bloodwork every 3-6  months.  Our local hospital, ACE Baypointe, has cheap packages on Sat/Sun.  p1500 for a blood panel and lipid profile that covers almost everything.  Doesn't cover thyroid or HA1C though.  We have a new lab, HP, that is cheaper for those, so I will go there.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Or just use one of these for continual testing

For CGM via implantable sensor, I recommend Sensonics.  They have FDA approved implants that last a year before needing replacement.  I think.

I own some shares and have not done well! :Mad:  There is another company that dominates CGM implants.  Can't remember the name.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

There is another company that dominates CGM implants.  Can't remember the name.

Dexcom?

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, Mike J said:

Dexcom?

Thanks.  That led me on the path to how to get one and insert it.  Seems like it may be more reliable than the watch I was looking at.  But I wonder where on my body I would put it so it would not be in the way.

https://www.dexcom.com/en-ca/faqs/how-do-i-insert-my-dexcom-g6-sensor

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Mike J said:

Dexcom?

Maybe.  It was a while back when I was following comments on Yahoo Finance about SENS, and they mentioned it.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Thanks.  That led me on the path to how to get one and insert it.  Seems like it may be more reliable than the watch I was looking at.  But I wonder where on my body I would put it so it would not be in the way.

https://www.dexcom.com/en-ca/faqs/how-do-i-insert-my-dexcom-g6-sensor

I always assume these had to be inserted by a doc.  According to this:

https://www.cnet.com/health/medical/best-continuous-glucose-monitors/

the Dexcom is very expensive.  I watched the video and it does not seem to be in a very secure position for everyday life.

Sensonics is the one I own, and theirs is Eversense.  Ascensia is their marketing partner, I believe.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Sensonics is the one I own, and theirs is Eversense.  Ascensia is their marketing partner, I believe.

Dave, I forgot to mention, if you buy the Sensonics and convince a few million of your friends to buy one, maybe I will be rich and I will give you a handsome reward. :dance:

• Haha 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

I will give you a handsome reward.

Ah, what the heck, you can have the handsome reward now.

ladybeard-deadlift-lolita-ladybaby-feat1.jpg

• Haha 2