No wonder Philippines has a diabetes problem

jimeve
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Joe LP said:

I brought it up in an earlier post, but white rice is pretty bad for a diabetic.  Potatoes.  Or any high carb food that does not also offer a lot of nutrients.  Any candy, Pastries are another big no no most of the time for diabetics.  Bread is high carbs(starch on top of sugars then with pastries you add some icings and frostings).  

Sari sari stores selling sugar ice pops to kids and then the parents giving the kids bread laden with sugar and to top it they give them white rice. eek.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Greglm said:

We have a neighbor who tests diabetic or borderline, so do her children who are under 10. I wonder what foods in the typical Filipino diet should be avoided and acceptable available substitutes? The doctors here are pretty useless when it comes to advising her on diet.

Tell them to switch from white rice to brown or red rice.  My wife usually mixes the brown and red.  When we have family over she make two pots of rice, one white, the other brown or red/brown mix.  The white rice always disappears first.  

<snip>Brown rice is more nutrient-dense than white rice. Because of this, brown rice may help reduce blood sugar levels and aid in weight management efforts<end snip>

<snip>Both high in protein and fibre when compared to white rice and rich in antioxidant properties, like anthocyanins apigenin, myricetin, and quercetin. However, research suggests that red rice can fight free radicals and prevent cancer and other chronic ailments than brown rice.<end snip>

• Like 3

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

What instruments, or methods is recommended to test our levels?

mountainside
Posted
Posted
On 6/3/2023 at 5:17 PM, Mike J said:

Tell them to switch from white rice to brown or red rice.

"one study estimated that replacing 50 g per day of white rice with the same amount of brown rice was associated with a 16% lower risk of type 2 diabetes."

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/healthiest-rice?c=1104082713057#recommendation

We miss red and black rice here in the US, but I'm pretty sure we'll be able to find it in Cebu City.

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, mountainside said:

We miss red and black rice here in the US, but I'm pretty sure we'll be able to find it in Cebu City.

The smaller supermarkets (Pure Gold, Prince) where I live - a somewhat remote area by some people's standards - have red, black and brown rice.  Robinsons in Dumaguete has it also, so by extension there's a good chance it'll be available in Cebu City as well.  

Except for dining out, I've managed to ween most of the household off white rice - 6 adults, 1 child and 4 dogs.  

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Joe LP
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Onemore52 said:

What instruments, or methods is recommended to test our levels?

It really depends on your lifestyle.  They have instruments that stay attached to your body(not ideal for someone who is active or moves/rolls in bed when asleep) that will repeatedly test your sugar levels and can send notices to your smartphone or via email and such things when your levels go high or low.  There are "watches" that are getting better and better and reading sugars through the skin but still are not good enough to be trusted.  There is the tried and true regular blood glucose meters(which I still use) that can be gotten for pretty cheap and are dependable.  There was even some research being done(not sure if still going or not) to put a small "chip" under your skin that'll transmit via wireless means to your smartphone your blood sugar.  The item I mentioned on top is a device that is outside your skin with a sensor that goes through your skin.  

Methods are to use them regularly until you are comfortable with your ability to fell your sugar going high or low.  Even then, at least daily just to make sure your feelings are still accurate.  As to what meters, again, it's really up to you.  There are some that are pretty developed.  They'll keep records of your blood/glucose levels for over a month and you can use software that comes with it to transfer your test results to your pcu or what have you.  Some only remember the last test result.  What convenience are you looking for.

There's big money in the indocrine(diabetic medicine) world.   Stuff has come a long way and is still improving.

• Like 1

Onemore52
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Joe LP said:

It really depends on your lifestyle.  They have instruments that stay attached to your body(not ideal for someone who is active or moves/rolls in bed when asleep) that will repeatedly test your sugar levels and can send notices to your smartphone or via email and such things when your levels go high or low.  There are "watches" that are getting better and better and reading sugars through the skin but still are not good enough to be trusted.  There is the tried and true regular blood glucose meters(which I still use) that can be gotten for pretty cheap and are dependable.  There was even some research being done(not sure if still going or not) to put a small "chip" under your skin that'll transmit via wireless means to your smartphone your blood sugar.  The item I mentioned on top is a device that is outside your skin with a sensor that goes through your skin.  

Methods are to use them regularly until you are comfortable with your ability to fell your sugar going high or low.  Even then, at least daily just to make sure your feelings are still accurate.  As to what meters, again, it's really up to you.  There are some that are pretty developed.  They'll keep records of your blood/glucose levels for over a month and you can use software that comes with it to transfer your test results to your pcu or what have you.  Some only remember the last test result.  What convenience are you looking for.

There's big money in the indocrine(diabetic medicine) world.   Stuff has come a long way and is still improving.

Thanks Joe

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 6/5/2023 at 3:44 PM, Joe LP said:

There is the tried and true regular blood glucose meters(which I still use) that can be gotten for pretty cheap and are dependable. 

I just bought one on Lazada.  Less that p400.  I only tried it once and no luck.  It didn't seem to detect the blood on the stick.  How much blood do you have to put on the end the the stick?  Mine was just a small dab on top of the sensor thing.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

I just bought one on Lazada.  Less that p400.  I only tried it once and no luck.  It didn't seem to detect the blood on the stick.  How much blood do you have to put on the end the the stick?  Mine was just a small dab on top of the sensor thing.

Enough blood that the blood is sucked (by capillery action) through and into the replacable stick, try to get it on the end of the stick, not on top of it.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Call me old fashioned if you like but I still use Litmus paper, very effective :smile: