No wonder Philippines has a diabetes problem

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Kingpin said:

This morning I bought a jar of the Vlasic sauerkraut at S&R. 

I also bought a jar of Vlasic dill pickles.  I don't think Vlasic pickles are fermented though, so I doubt that they have probiotics?????  Almost no sugar and 0 calories, so a decent snack.  Has a few preservatives though.  I was going to stop by Healthy Options at SM Clark but decided not to.  Some other day.

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I was going to stop by Healthy Options at SM Clark but decided not to. 

Good decision, I smile every time I see how empty they are now, after overcharged their desperate base for years.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Almost no sugar and 0 calories

Hmmm, zero calories?  A cucumber has to have a few calories and I doubt they disappear during pickling.  And "almost" no sugar mean there must be some sugar.  I do agree that they make a great snack, I also enjoy them on sandwiches.  About the only real negative for dill pickles is that they do contain quite a bit of salt.

Turns out the label is "legally correct" but not true.  Found this on the internet per google

<snip>In the US food and drinks can be labelled as having 0 calories so long as it actually contains less than 10 calories.<end snip>

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Mike J said:

Hmmm, zero calories?  A cucumber has to have a few calories and I doubt they disappear during pickling.  And "almost" no sugar mean there must be some sugar.  I do agree that they make a great snack, I also enjoy them on sandwiches.  About the only real negative for dill pickles is that they do contain quite a bit of salt.

Turns out the label is "legally correct" but not true.  Found this on the internet per google

<snip>In the US food and drinks can be labelled as having 0 calories so long as it actually contains less than 10 calories.<end snip>

Yes, I knew that the 0 calories must be a way of fudging the numbers.  I watched a video the other day about what they area allowed to do with carbs and it is mostly about rounding down.  Like .9 carbs they are allowed to round down to 0!  I never had that math class!

I doubt that I will buy them again.  They have a lot of preservatives.  I would like to find "fermented" pickles but it appears those are only fresh with a short shelf life.  Probably not available in PH.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Mike J said:

P.S. that is why the food industry spends millions on lobbyists.  Another form of corruption.

• Like 5

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

So I am I correct in saying that my consuming 4 cans of Kirin of beer every night puts me at risk, or should I switch to Gin and tonic ?

• Haha 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
33 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Yes, I knew that the 0 calories must be a way of fudging the numbers.  I watched a video the other day about what they area allowed to do with carbs and it is mostly about rounding down.  Like .9 carbs they are allowed to round down to 0!  I never had that math class!

I doubt that I will buy them again.  They have a lot of preservatives.  I would like to find "fermented" pickles but it appears those are only fresh with a short shelf life.  Probably not available in PH.

What about making your own dill pickles?  I remember my mother making them and even grew the cukes, dill, and garlic in the garden.  I thought they were great tasting.   Some batches she would add hot red peppers to give them an extra kick.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
55 minutes ago, Onemore52 said:

So I am I correct in saying that my consuming 4 cans of Kirin of beer every night puts me at risk,

Your highest risk factor........

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
33 minutes ago, Mike J said:

What about making your own dill pickles? 

I might try someday.  Need to find some large glass jars.