No wonder Philippines has a diabetes problem

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Lost almost 100 lbs.

That's the key.  The purpose of the diet is to lose weight, and it's that weight loss that prevents diabetes.

2 hours ago, craftbeerlover said:

Biggest contributor is the white rice

People have been eating rice for 10,000 years, it's not the problem.

Obesity is believed to account for 80-85% of the risk of developing type 2 diabetes, while recent research suggests that obese people are up to 80 times more likely to develop type 2 diabetes than those with a BMI of less than 22. - https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-and-obesity.html

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, Kingpin said:

That's the key.  The purpose of the diet is to lose weight, and it's that weight loss that prevents diabetes.

Yeah butt, depends on which way you look at it.  Cut the sugar / carbs = reduced insulin resistance, reduced fatty liver, = weight loss.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Kingpin said:

Around the 1950s, the International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) was established in Los Banos through contributions by the Rockefeller Foundation and others.  Purpose was to solve 3rd world hunger by increasing rice production.  The hybrids and GMO seeds developed by IRRI are used in nearly all global rice production.  The problem is high yield comes from excessive use of chemical fertilizers and by increasing the sugar content in the grain.  

My father realized that the modification could potentially cause problems.  At the farm, which is located at 1,200 feet above sea level, he started procuring mountain rice (non-GMO) using a one to two ratio.  You bring one kilo of mountain rice; we give you two kilos of lowland rice (produced with IRRI seeds).  The lowland rice was purchased from the city.  Therefore, to avoid diabetes, my advice is to consume rice produced from heirloom seeds.  

But the main culprit for diabetes in the Philippines is government policy.  Politicians believe that the population will be content, and in the process get re-elected, if cheap rice is available.  The poor will eat a mound with one small, dried fish and tomato.  There are huge subsidies for rice farmers and corporations involved in production & distribution.  With cheap rice availability, Filipinos have switched to having rice for breakfast, lunch and dinner.  Many of the snack items are rice based.  The desserts are made with sweetened rice.  End result is diabetes.   Another result is insufficient locally grown rice.  The Philippines is now the world's number one importer of rice, beating China.  

• Like 2

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Kingpin said:

For just about half of my life I could not stand rice, it was never made in our house when I grew up.

My introduction to it was in grade school....Horrible Stuff....I tried it again when I joined the Army....Horrible Stuff.... I could only pallet a few spoonsful saturated with maybe a half pint of gravy.  

I guess that was maybe because it was always the Uncle Bens brand type and how it was probably cooked.

After meeting my Asawa, I've been eating rice once or twice daily when home or available elsewhere for 30+ years, I prefer the Jasmine type only....give me some Silver Swann to go with it I'll eat the whole pot..

In addition, me Asawa still uses MSG....gotta love how it brings out the flavor..:biggrin:

Check out the video, we do this often.

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

Many of the snack items are rice based.  The desserts are made with sweetened rice.  End result is diabetes.   Another result is insufficient locally grown rice.  The Philippines is now the world's number one importer of rice, beating China.  

Yes, this seems to be at every Filipino gathering, I pretty much stay away from these.

• Like 1

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Kingpin said:

We were talking about "diet", what people eat.   Of course it is obesity, and yes white rice is a huge contributor.    Diabetes is the 5th leading cause of death in the Philippines, and given all the "fatties" live in the western world I wonder what is going on (btw, China is number 1 in the world per capita with diabetes)

• Like 1

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, JJReyes said:

But the main culprit for diabetes in the Philippines is government policy.  Politicians believe that the population will be content, and in the process get re-elected, if cheap rice is available.  The poor will eat a mound with one small, dried fish and tomato.

You are absolutely correct.  The ratio is about 4 to 1 Rice vs "Ulam"  Couple small sardines and a huge mound of white rice, 3 to 4 times a day for decades.  Literally every single day.

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I was pre-diabetic and with many other health problems 3 years ago.  Now I eat all the salt I want, and eat a high animal fat / high protein diet.  Very low carbohydrates.  No seed oils.  Pre-diabetes, gone.  HBP, gone.  Lost almost 100 lbs.  Etc., etc.

Sugar in all forms is the culprit, not salt and fat.

Good on ya!!!   Hopefully you incorporated a little exercise into your daily routines.   And yes on Sugar as well, I had just read some research that a high salt diet has been shown to be a contributor as well, but not the main culprit.   Hoping you stay healthy, and congrats on that 100lbs, that is a bid deal!!!

• Like 1

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted

This states my point far better than I would be able to:

"Globally, 425 million people currently have diabetes and this number is expected to increase to 629 million by 2045 (). China and India, two countries in Asia where rice is the staple food, are also the top two countries in terms of the number of people with diabetes in the world (). Rapid urbanization and economic development, especially in developing countries of the world, have led to a dramatic change in nutrition and dietary intake as well as in physical inactivity, both of which are related to the obesity and diabetes epidemics ().

Carbohydrate forms 70–80% of the calories consumed in many South Asian countries (). Till the early 1970s, most of the traditional diets, especially in India and some other Asian countries, were less milled or polished as it was manually hand pounded (,). Undermilled rice (2% degree of polishing) is nutritionally superior (higher in fiber, γ-oryzanol, other polyphenols, and vitamin E) than the fully milled white rice (). The polishing process strips the grains of dietary fiber by removing the bran and alters the structure of the grain kernel (). Interestingly, during the last four to five decades of replacing hand-pounded or undermilled rice with highly milled white rice, the prevalence of diabetes in urban areas in India increased from 2% in the 1970s to 25% in 2015 and in rural areas from 1% to 14–16% (,). Undoubtedly, this secular trend in the increase in the diabetes rates cannot be solely attributed to increased intake of polished white rice as several other diabetogenic factors (e.g., a marked decrease in physical activity [PA] and increase in obesity rates) also occurred during this period, due to the improved socioeconomic status and lifestyle modification of the people. Thus, rice (carbohydrate) consumption was possibly only one of the many factors contributing to the diabetes epidemic.

It is known that consumption of foods high in glycemic index (GI) and glycemic load (GL) leads to elevated postprandial blood glucose levels (). A meta-analysis of cohort studies from Western countries showed that diets high in GI and GL, mostly from carbohydrate sources, were associated with higher risk of type 2 diabetes ()."

"The glycemic index (GI) of white rice standard equals to 70.0, which classifies it as a high GI food. The glycemic load (GL) of white rice standard is equal to 56.0, which classifies it as a high GL food." 

Again we are talking about mounds of white rice 3 to 4 times a day everyday for decades. 

• Like 3

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, craftbeerlover said:

This states my point far better than I would be able to:

"Globally, 425 million people currently have diabetes and this number is expected to increase to 629 million by 2045 (). China and India, two countries in Asia where rice is the staple food, are also the top two countries in terms of the number of people with diabetes in the world (). Rapid urbanization and economic development, especially in developing countries of the world, have led to a dramatic change in nutrition and dietary intake as well as in physical inactivity, both of which are related to the obesity and diabetes epidemics ().

Carbohydrate forms 70–80% of the calories consumed in many South Asian countries (). Till the early 1970s, most of the traditional diets, especially in India and some other Asian countries, were less milled or polished as it was manually hand pounded (,). Undermilled rice (2% degree of polishing) is nutritionally superior (higher in fiber, γ-oryzanol, other polyphenols, and vitamin E) than the fully milled white rice (). The polishing process strips the grains of dietary fiber by removing the bran and alters the structure of the grain kernel (). Interestingly, during the last four to five decades of replacing hand-pounded or undermilled rice with highly milled white rice, the prevalence of diabetes in urban areas in India increased from 2% in the 1970s to 25% in 2015 and in rural areas from 1% to 14–16% (,). Undoubtedly, this secular trend in the increase in the diabetes rates cannot be solely attributed to increased intake of polished white rice as several other diabetogenic factors (e.g., a marked decrease in physical activity [PA] and increase in obesity rates) also occurred during this period, due to the improved socioeconomic status and lifestyle modification of the people. Thus, rice (carbohydrate) consumption was possibly only one of the many factors contributing to the diabetes epidemic.

It is known that consumption of foods high in glycemic index (GI) and glycemic load (GL) leads to elevated postprandial blood glucose levels (). A meta-analysis of cohort studies from Western countries showed that diets high in GI and GL, mostly from carbohydrate sources, were associated with higher risk of type 2 diabetes ()."

"The glycemic index (GI) of white rice standard equals to 70.0, which classifies it as a high GI food. The glycemic load (GL) of white rice standard is equal to 56.0, which classifies it as a high GL food." 

Again we are talking about mounds of white rice 3 to 4 times a day everyday for decades. 

Lizzo states she on a diet and that she's a vegan too?

• Haha 1