Just Stop Oil!

Guy F.
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Like you said, not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Excerpt: 

This is the moment a Just Stop Oil protester disrupted his own graduation by setting off a fire extinguisher loaded with organ paint.

Footage shared on Twitter showed staff rushing to stop Edred Whittingham as he prepared to spray the forecourt outside the building where his fellow University of Exeter students had gathered.

Still wearing his graduation robe and hat with tassel sash, the 25-year-old shouted ‘Just Stop Oil’ as he was arrested.

Moments earlier, he was filmed on stage to receive his BA in Philosophy, Politics, and Economics.

Excerpt: 

In April, Whittingham disrupted a World Snooker Championship match, throwing orange powder over the table.  Wearing a ‘Just Stop Oil’ top, he climbed on the table during the game between Robert Milkins and Joe Perry at the Crucible Theatre.

Entire article:

https://metro.co.uk/2023/07/18/just-stop-oil-protester-who-disrupted-snooker-championship-ruins-own-graduation-19144896/?ico=trending-module_author_gergana-krasteva_item-1

I guess that would depend on how they were raised and educated.

I would argue that what they see and suffer from would enter into the equation.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
46 minutes ago, Guy F. said:

I would argue that what they see and suffer from would enter into the equation.

Certainly.  However, "suffering" is subjective and depends on how they interpret the world around them, which circles back to how they were raised and educated. 

You said: "But your grandchildren will disown you if you behave as if climate change is a hoax".  Was that a serious statement?  Lack of a good family structure and family support is a huge societal problem is some countries like the U.S., with high divorce rates and many single parent households.  Kids who are raised with traditional family structures are less likely to "disown" their grandparents, or parents, over a difference of opinion on politics or climate change.  It is normal to have generational differences, but that should not mean that the generations should stop loving each other. 

Unfortunately, we do see many who do try to disown.  "My way or the highway" can apply to these cults.  When a youth is dependent on the parent or grandparent for food and shelter into their late 20's or 30's, they might not completely disown the elders, but may insist on a separate entrance to the basement so they can come and go as they please to rallies, protests and riots.  Anything but work.  This is a joke but there is some truth in it.

IMHO, the lack of family structure contributes to some kids seeking out other support groups.  Sometimes that is a gang, or other druggies, or an extreme cult like Just Stop Oil.  However, it is nice when you see the old and young coming together on something, like when a grandpa and an 18 year old glue themselves to the pavement so stop traffic, which includes ambulances and hard working people from all walks of society.

I do support all efforts to preserve and protect coral reefs.  As some said, that is difficult in a country like the the Philippines where putting food on the table is more important than worrying about reef health, and where there is vast corruption.  Australia is doing a great job with the Great Barrier Reef but it is unlikely that Philippines can ever duplicate those efforts.  If the Just Stop Oil folks would like to help, by gluing themselves to a rock at the bottom of the reef, I support that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love it 1

Eddie1
Posted
Posted

London yesterday.  For sure more of this will happen. Notice the total absence of our gutless U.K. police force from stopping these fuckwits blocking major highways through the capital.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, Guy F. said:

Looks like a poorly done fake to me.

It's 100% genuine, 

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Eddie1 said:

London yesterday.  For sure more of this will happen. Notice the total absence of our gutless U.K. police force from stopping these fuckwits blocking major highways through the capital.

Reasonable people can only put up with so much before fighting back against lunatics.  Can you imagine what you would do if you were blocked by these idiots while going to work, or going to the hospital, or going to the airport, or trying to make way for an ambulance or fire engine?.  These people are completely brainwashed and have no right to impede others from their human rights to move freely.  They are perfectly within their rights to voice their opinions, but they cannot lawfully take away the rights of others.  It they want to protest, go to a park or gov building.

This video is controversial, but I think I think it applies here.  We can only take so much.

• Like 1

Eddie1
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Can you imagine what you would do if you were blocked by these idiots while going to work, or going to the hospital, or going to the airport, or trying to make way for an ambulance or fire engine?. 

That was exactly the issue in this situation.  The lady who stepped from the car first (wife/partner of the assailant) is pregnant and was on the way to the hospital for an appointment, probably explains why they were so fired up.  At the end of that major road/thoroughfare is one of the busiest hospitals not only in London but in Europe also. Imagine how many emergency vehicles were disrupted by these morons. 

I, like many others, personally couldn't argue with their cause... just the completely wrong way they go about it.  For sure, they are not getting people on their side by using these tactics.

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Eddie1 said:

I, like many others, personally couldn't argue with their cause... just the completely wrong way they go about it.  For sure, they are not getting people on their side by using these tactics.

I have logical arguments against their "logic", but here is an good interview that problem probably coincides with your feelings.  However, the guy strikes me as not very bright, and has been easily brainwashed.

Edited by OnMyWay
Typo

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Reasonable people can only put up with so much before fighting back against lunatics.  Can you imagine what you would do if you were blocked by these idiots while going to work, or going to the hospital, or going to the airport, or trying to make way for an ambulance or fire engine?.  These people are completely brainwashed and have no right to impede others from their human rights to move freely.  They are perfectly within their rights to voice their opinions, but they cannot lawfully take away the rights of others.  It they want to protest, go to a park or gov building.

This video is controversial, but I think I think it applies here.  We can only take so much.

This reminds me of the G8 Summit that was held at Gleneagles in Scotland about 2005. A load of the unwashed had descended on Stirling the nearby City although technically only a town at the time.  They had the idea of going on the rampage until the locals turned up with metal bars and anything else they could get their hands on.

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Still on topic I hope with reference to the climate issue and the Just Stop Oil group I was listening to a blog from a climate scientist which pretty much highlighted we are putting a sticking plaster on a failing dam. He had charted the growth in the use of fossil fuels over the last century and overlayed it on top of energy useage. The last 15yrs in particular has seen a massive increase and one that is exponentialy growning. He also highlighted the trillions of dollars spent to produce what is basically a minute amount of green energy which has already been more than wiped out by the increase of energy needs. 

A typical example being China has built over 600 new cities since 1949 and new ones are still popping up. People who used to be farmers etc are moving to cities for work and with that their energy use has increased massively. Just taking mobile phones alone they say almost 2bn are sold every year and increasing by about 4% anually. If you store one Gb of data on the cloud it accounts for over 1m times the energy required to store the same data on your phone memory. Throw in new homes, cars, electrical goods etc the energy requirements and mining to get the raw materials is dwarfing anything we can currently cancel out using green initiatives. 

Life expectancy has increased due to the advances in technology and by raising people out of poverty, but in doing so we are increasing our burden on energy.  It's going to take some hard decisions to make any changes and the people are pretty much getting to the stage where they feel they are being taxed enough to be able to do any more to save their future generations.  

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

The last 15yrs in particular has seen a massive increase and one that is exponentialy growning. He also highlighted the trillions of dollars spent to produce what is basically a minute amount of green energy which has already been more than wiped out by the increase of energy needs. 

Many green energy believers don't have a realistic view on what it will take to convert from FF and the number of years it will take.  I think I see numbers thrown around like 2035 for California not having any more fossil fueled cars.  That is insane.  They are already short on electricity.  Where will it come from?  Eliminating fossil fuels too quickly is going to make the poor much poorer, and the rich much richer.  A low to medium income person can't sink 50k plus into an EV, and their other energy bills are soaring.  And of course the rich who are pushing the agenda can always get around and pay high energy costs.

And the extreme greenies look the other way when it comes to the minerals and mining required to make millions of batteries, and then what it takes to dispose of them or recycle them when they are finished.

My solution would be to have a phase where hybrids are incentivized and become a larger part of the market.  That will not increase the load on the electrical grid and reduce FF a lot.  Then there is time for new EV and battery technologies to evolve, as well as increase electrical power output.  Going to EV all at once is a failure waiting to happen.