Just Stop Oil!

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, GeoffH said:

Street Glide Harley

It has a windscreen?  Can't imagine going that fast without one!

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

It has a windscreen?  Can't imagine going that fast without one!

The Street Glide?  The one I was riding then?  Yes, there are 3 interchangable screens, 1 tinted low one for city use, 1 medium one for sunny day riding and 1 tall one for touring (picture below with the medium screen taken in the Snowy Mountains, Australia... but during summer).  There are also soft leg shields that clip to the engine bars for cold weather (not fitted in this photo).

image.jpeg

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 4

Ozzyboy
Posted
Posted
On 7/19/2023 at 5:39 PM, Guy F. said:

when coral reefs in the Philippines start to bleach due to global warming

Are you sure about that statement, are there other factors involved like pollution from runoff

from farm chemicals maybe, i don't know if one factor alone is to blame, the same is happening

in Australia

Guy F.
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Ozzyboy said:

Are you sure about that statement, are there other factors involved like pollution from runoff

from farm chemicals maybe, i don't know if one factor alone is to blame, the same is happening

in Australia

I've seen algae blooms blamed on agricultural runoff. Cyanide fishing is a bad thing but I haven't seen it connected to coral bleaching.The only thing blamed for coral bleaching is increased temperature.

Been hearing that Atlantic ocean currents could collapse due to ocean warming. Northern Europe would get a lot colder as a result. The Gulf Stream brings a whole lot of warm water to Scandiavia, the UK and so on.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
On 7/28/2023 at 1:06 AM, Ozzyboy said:

in Australia

Increased temperature is the most common problem but there are other causes.  Info from Wikipedia

<snip>

List of triggers

increased water temperature (marine heatwaves, most commonly due to global warming), or reduced water temperatures[26][27][28][29]
increased solar irradiance (photosynthetically active radiation and ultraviolet light)
increased sedimentation (due to silt runoff)[30]
bacterial infections[31]
changes in salinity[32]
herbicides[33]
extreme low tide and exposure[34]
cyanide fishing[35]
elevated sea levels due to global warming (Watson)[clarification needed]
mineral dust from African dust storms caused by drought[36]
pollutants such as oxybenzone, butylparaben, octyl methoxycinnamate, or enzacamene: four common sunscreen ingredients that are nonbiodegradable and can wash off of skin[37][38][39][40]
ocean acidification due to elevated levels of CO2 caused by air pollution[41]
being exposed to oil or other chemical spills[42]
changes in water chemistry, particularly an imbalance in the ratio of the macronutrients nitrate and phosphate[43]

<end snip>

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
On 7/28/2023 at 1:06 AM, Ozzyboy said:

in Australia

Increased temperature is the most common problem but there are other causes.  Info from Wikipedia

<snip>

List of triggers

increased water temperature (marine heatwaves, most commonly due to global warming), or reduced water temperatures[26][27][28][29]
increased solar irradiance (photosynthetically active radiation and ultraviolet light)
increased sedimentation (due to silt runoff)[30]
bacterial infections[31]
changes in salinity[32]
herbicides[33]
extreme low tide and exposure[34]
cyanide fishing[35]
elevated sea levels due to global warming (Watson)[clarification needed]
mineral dust from African dust storms caused by drought[36]
pollutants such as oxybenzone, butylparaben, octyl methoxycinnamate, or enzacamene: four common sunscreen ingredients that are nonbiodegradable and can wash off of skin[37][38][39][40]
ocean acidification due to elevated levels of CO2 caused by air pollution[41]
being exposed to oil or other chemical spills[42]
changes in water chemistry, particularly an imbalance in the ratio of the macronutrients nitrate and phosphate[43]

<end snip>

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
On 7/26/2023 at 1:43 PM, GeoffH said:

Last time I was riding along the highway betweenAlice Springs and along the highway to Darwin I was 'cruising at 130kph (around 80mph) on my Street Glide Harley with 3 mates on their bikes) when I saw a large group of lights in my mirrors appoaching quickly.  Turned out it was the local Harley Owners Group (they're NOTHING like the HOG groups in the capital cities) heading along the highway to a service station (gas station) restaurant for their Saturday morning ride.

They went past me like I was standing still with even the slowest cruising at 160kph (around 100 mph).

Nice group of guys, we had a long chat during the morning before continuing on our (sedate 130kph) trip.

They were probably trying to catch up with the Japanese bikes. :whistling:

• Haha 2