Just Stop Oil!

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Guy F. said:

You can't tell me the turning radius of a motorcycle, even a dirt bike, is as good as that of a bicycle.

Handling isn't the same thing as turning radius (and dirt bikes are the worst handling motorbikes of all on roads, they're made for dirt).

Motorbike handling is a combination of things; ultimate tyre grip, lean angle, g force that can be generated in a turn and when braking and a myriad of other things.  None of which e-bikes particularly excell at.

They're good for low speed city use (as you say) where handling isn't a priority.

Edited by GeoffH

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, Guy F. said:

On an ebike you aren't going any faster than 28MPH. Usual speed is between 12 and 18 MPH. Just yesterday I had an emergency stop which took me from about 10 MPH to full stop in about 6 feet, including reaction time.

I've been riding mountain bikes for 45 years. I've been on plenty of trails that a dirt bike would be suicidal to use upon. I've ridden a small motorcycle on the Phils for a total of maybe 6 months. You can't tell me the turning radius of a motorcycle, even a dirt bike, is as good as that of a bicycle.

Ebikes have moved on a lot recently, a few will hit over 70mph and the self build models even faster. I'm on a few forums and some of the machines people are building are down right crazy.

Guy F.
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Suicidal?  Maybe.  This was me a few weeks ago. :hystery:

Nice trick riding, but not much of a high side. Have a look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtn6SUYfnGA

My favorite ride of all time is the Rock Creek Shuttle in southeast Wyoming.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Guy F. said:

Nice trick riding, but not much of a high side. Have a look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtn6SUYfnGA

My favorite ride of all time is the Rock Creek Shuttle in southeast Wyoming.

My best years of mountain biking were when I lived in Redwood City, California, 94 to 02.  We rode a lot in the Santa Cruz mountains.  Purisima Creek Redwoods Preserve was a favorite because we could drive to the high ridge entrance after work, do a great downhill into the redwoods, then do the climb back up on a fire road before dark.  Those were the days.  I had an aluminum Trek then and loved it  They were just coming out with carbon fiber in the 90's.

• Like 3

Guy F.
Posted
Posted (edited)

I think that mountain bikes, being lighter particularly in the front forks, must be easier and faster to turn.

By "high side" I mean one side of the road or trail being steep, high and hazardous.

Edited by Guy F.
  • Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

Ebikes have moved on a lot recently, a few will hit over 70mph and the self build models even faster. 

70 mph is cruising speed on a slow touring motor bike though...

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

This the Maximum national speed limit in the UK :tiphat:

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

This the Maximum national speed limit in the UK :tiphat:

The Northern Territory of Australia doesn't have a speed limit :shades:

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
Just now, GeoffH said:

The Northern Territory of Australia doesn't have a speed limit :shades:

Last time I was riding along the highway betweenAlice Springs and along the highway to Darwin I was 'cruising at 130kph (around 80mph) on my Street Glide Harley with 3 mates on their bikes) when I saw a large group of lights in my mirrors appoaching quickly.  Turned out it was the local Harley Owners Group (they're NOTHING like the HOG groups in the capital cities) heading along the highway to a service station (gas station) restaurant for their Saturday morning ride.

They went past me like I was standing still with even the slowest cruising at 160kph (around 100 mph).

Nice group of guys, we had a long chat during the morning before continuing on our (sedate 130kph) trip.

• Like 2

Guy F.
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, GeoffH said:

Praise the Lord that they're not allowed on the same trails that hikers and mountain bikers use.:no:

• Haha 1