Being a Father Later In Life

baronapart
Posted
Posted (edited)

I am 59. I am in excellent health so that is CURRENTLY not an issue. I have 4 adult sons who are professionals and lead their own lives and need no further assistance from me (that is both a blessing and a curse). I am thinking about having another child with my filipina while living in the Philippines. Maybe those of you have done this have some insight or open to advice from anyone really.

Edited by baronapart
  • Like 5

baronapart
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Hestecrefter said:

How about your wife?  Has she had kids heretofore?  In my case, I was more willing to become an older dad since my wife had no kids and I did not want to deny that to her.  Whether your wife is now 20 or 40 will factor into it as well.  The younger ones appear to adapt to first-time motherhood (if it be a case of first time) than the older ones.  But that, I'll admit, is from somewhat limited observation.  

Excellent points. Thank you.

The reason highlighted above is my prime motivator. She is 28 and I think it might break her heart not to have a child. She doesn't force it on me but I can sense it.

Edited by baronapart
  • Like 3
  • Hmm thinking 1

Hestecrefter
Posted
Posted
33 minutes ago, baronapart said:

Excellent points. Thank you.

The reason highlighted above is my prime motivator. She is 28 and I think it might break her heart not to have a child. She doesn't force it on me but I can sense it.

This is a common issue.  Many times, young, childless Filipinas will claim to be quite okay with not having kids. The call to preserving the relationship is stronger than the maternal instinct.  As her biological clock winds down, some find it harder to stick to remaining childless, although I do not think that many actually jump ship to go out and find a potential father. They find ways to deal with the longing.  I think some find it more difficult to keep the maternal instinct suppressed.  I suspect that, while there are many who agree to not having kids, the number who are well and truly content with that regime is small.  But, there are some.

• Like 5

baronapart
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Hestecrefter said:

This is a common issue.  Many times, young, childless Filipinas will claim to be quite okay with not having kids. The call to preserving the relationship is stronger than the maternal instinct.  As her biological clock winds down, some find it harder to stick to remaining childless, although I do not think that many actually jump ship to go out and find a potential father. They find ways to deal with the longing.  I think some find it more difficult to keep the maternal instinct suppressed.  I suspect that, while there are many who agree to not having kids, the number who are well and truly content with that regime is small.  But, there are some.

I completely agree.

• Like 1

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Hestecrefter said:

what will be their life in the Phils?  Will they be able to earn as you did

Probably not, but unlike kids growing up today in Canada or the US, they'll at least be normal, happy, well-adjusted.

9 hours ago, baronapart said:

I am thinking about having another child with my filipina while living in the Philippines.

If you have the time and energy to give the kid the attention they deserve, no good reason not to do it.

• Like 3
  • Love it 2

Joey G
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Kingpin said:

Probably not, but unlike kids growing up today in Canada or the US, they'll at least be normal, happy, well-adjusted.

Your experience perhaps (???)... but not mine.  It's not where you grow up... it's how the parents raise their kids... no matter what side of the ocean you live. 

• Like 4
  • Love it 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Joey G said:

Your experience perhaps (???)

I wondered about that too.  I have not heard Kingpin mention his experiences growing up in Canada before.  I do know one kid who did not turn out so well, growing up in Canada I mean, but all the ones I know who are currently growing up in Canada seem normal, happy, and well-adjusted.  Perhaps he is correct that the US is fecked up.  I will have to accept his analysis of that as I don't know anyone currently growing up there.

• Like 2