Filipina vs Western woman.....

RBM
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Major Tom said:

In summary, Filipino women share many commonalities with women from other parts of the world, yet their distinct cultural context and values shape them in distinctive ways. Their dedication to family, adaptability, and the harmonious fusion of tradition and modernity make them truly unique and remarkable individuals.

My experience would indicate this is waning, especially among younger Filipinas. As just one example, there is a woman street  vendor in her 80s whom my partner buys from, recently in rain she was  trying to shelter under some plastic, my partner bought her an umbrella (which made her cry) and began chatting,  Briefly her husband was dead, she had four children of which two lived in the area, they were to busy to even visit let alone help out. My partner can also quote other similar examples.

For myself it totally depending on any given situation, no blanket coverage.

Having not been in a western country now for 5 years, often wonder if the cell fone addiction we see here is similar in the west. Any comments on this appreciated.

• Like 3

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Major Tom said:

they have developed a remarkable ability to navigate through various socio-economic challenges. This resilience often translates into a positive outlook on life and a willingness to face adversity with grace and determination.

Because nobody told them they were a special snowflake, that goes for all the children here, they do what they're told, respect their parents, help their family, fear God, and love their country.  Of course they're going to grow up to be better partners than those raised in the West. But the more experience they have with Western culture and expats in general, the more these advantages may deteriorate. Experience will tell you if they have the right balance.

• Like 4

BLM
Posted
Posted

Years ago in the Navy, I remember my chief saying: "Those Navy wives ruined my wife!" I asked him what happened, and he said they all took his wife aside and made sure she had credit cards, went shopping and drinking with the "club" and "don't do anything for that husband of yours!" They would then take it up the chain of command if he complained.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, RBM said:

My experience would indicate this is waning, especially among younger Filipinas. As just one example, there is a woman street  vendor in her 80s whom my partner buys from, recently in rain she was  trying to shelter under some plastic, my partner bought her an umbrella (which made her cry) and began chatting,  Briefly her husband was dead, she had four children of which two lived in the area, they were to busy to even visit let alone help out. My partner can also quote other similar examples.

For myself it totally depending on any given situation, no blanket coverage.

Having not been in a western country now for 5 years, often wonder if the cell fone addiction we see here is similar in the west. Any comments on this appreciated.

I concur with your findings. If you sit back and observe certainly in the younger generation they are getting more selfish and hiding things from their parents.  I was having a discussion with a couple of friends just the other week over the same thing and the Westerners were all praising the family values until one of the wives chipped in and told us we don't see what is going on in the real World. We have fallen for the propaganda as she knows so many broken families here who won't go out of their way for others, she is in her 50s and lived in a few areas of the Philippines.

I also put it down to the cell phone culture and growing celebrity craze here. Literally every local that tries to contact me on Facebook is now calling themselves a digital creator and they want to be rich and famous overnight. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

one of the wives chipped in and told us we don't see what is going on in the real World. We have fallen for the propaganda

Sounds less like she's describing the problem, and more like she is the problem. Get back in the kitchen and cook something, the men are talking. :cheers:

Lee
Posted
Posted
On 9/23/2023 at 10:17 AM, Kingpin said:

Because nobody told them they were a special snowflake, that goes for all the children here, they do what they're told, respect their parents, help their family, fear God, and love their country

I have seen very little of what you described above certainly in the last 20 years. YMMV as some might say.

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Lee said:

I have seen very little of what you described above certainly in the last 20 years.

I'm not sure where you're looking, but if I felt that way I'd find a better neighborhood, or nation, to live in.