Update on drivers license renewals

hk blues
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Others reported the same experience and I don't know why.  In the website application process,  you get stopped and can't go further without taking the exam, so I did.  The next steps end up at making an appointment and paying, but that was not possible.  Not sure it was working correctly.

However, I was ok with taking the test twice because I knew for certain the answers to some of the trickier questions.

Going through the online setup at home will save you some time at LTO.  I saw one old dude being walked through the test with someone from LTO.  A lot of Filipinos will do everything at LTO.

I signed up a few months ago when I applied for my 1st licence.  It seemed like it was compulsory for new drivers.  

• 2 months later...
Lee
Posted
Posted

Trip to LTO for DL renewal yesterday

Things have changed a bit since my last renewal--mostly positive I would say.

Before going I filled out an application and had taken the online test. Test wasn't a big deal even though I failed it the first time. No questions about helmet or seatbelt usage, or speed limits were noted. The only symbol that I didn't know on the test is listed below. 

Screenshot 2024-02-22 083719.png

The upward facing chevrons on the sign is what threw me. I guessed something about a pedestrian bridge and apparently was correct. Guessing on this test can work pretty well as there are only 3 possible answers listed. One question was about the max height of a handsfree device mounted on the dash. Don't know, don't care but 2" seemed reasonable enough so as to not limit your view through the windshield. Alas--4" was the correct answer.

With my completed application form, expiring DL, and a cert showing that I had passed the test, off to LTO we went. First a med cert was needed. Sat down with doctor and she asked me in English if I wanted her to speak to me in Filipino or Tagalog. I looked at her---paused for a bit and then told her that English would be fine. Is your BP normal ?---I said yes and she then typed in 120/80. After paying the 400P, back to LTO we went. The place was packed but most were young uns waiting to take the test. Guy at the window took my med cert and test cert---didn't care about my application form. Paid 500 and change and was sent to another window for pic and fingerprints---no ink--just place your fingers on top of a reader. After an hour or so I was gone (paper DL of course).

The fixer business must be doing well as we almost had to push our way through a crowd of them when entering and exiting the LTO---all with a guard within just a few feet. A nieces husband went the fixer route recently I have been told. He paid a fixer 5K for a student permit. Why did he use a fixer one might wonder---because he can neither read nor comprehend any language. Imagine being 30 odd years old and you can't even read a newspaper from your home country.

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
On 2/22/2024 at 11:53 AM, Lee said:

Trip to LTO for DL renewal yesterday

Things have changed a bit since my last renewal--mostly positive I would say.

Before going I filled out an application and had taken the online test. Test wasn't a big deal even though I failed it the first time. No questions about helmet or seatbelt usage, or speed limits were noted. The only symbol that I didn't know on the test is listed below. 

Screenshot 2024-02-22 083719.png

The upward facing chevrons on the sign is what threw me. I guessed something about a pedestrian bridge and apparently was correct. Guessing on this test can work pretty well as there are only 3 possible answers listed. One question was about the max height of a handsfree device mounted on the dash. Don't know, don't care but 2" seemed reasonable enough so as to not limit your view through the windshield. Alas--4" was the correct answer.

With my completed application form, expiring DL, and a cert showing that I had passed the test, off to LTO we went. First a med cert was needed. Sat down with doctor and she asked me in English if I wanted her to speak to me in Filipino or Tagalog. I looked at her---paused for a bit and then told her that English would be fine. Is your BP normal ?---I said yes and she then typed in 120/80. After paying the 400P, back to LTO we went. The place was packed but most were young uns waiting to take the test. Guy at the window took my med cert and test cert---didn't care about my application form. Paid 500 and change and was sent to another window for pic and fingerprints---no ink--just place your fingers on top of a reader. After an hour or so I was gone (paper DL of course).

The fixer business must be doing well as we almost had to push our way through a crowd of them when entering and exiting the LTO---all with a guard within just a few feet. A nieces husband went the fixer route recently I have been told. He paid a fixer 5K for a student permit. Why did he use a fixer one might wonder---because he can neither read nor comprehend any language. Imagine being 30 odd years old and you can't even read a newspaper from your home country.

If they really want to move forward this fixer set up needs to be eradicated.  Problem is plenty are benefiting from it, and not just the fixers.  So, it's here to stay.

Freebie
Posted
Posted

Swiss Mate went for his renewal the other day in Manila. His licence had expired two years ago. The LTO guy assisting him ( hes 72) did the test for him.

Sir you passed !!!!

• Haha 3