Where to go? Finding a place to settle!

Gutenberg
Posted
Posted (edited)

So my plan is to "move to" the Phillipines as in "permanently" as possible (I have to go back every 8-12 months for 3 months because of my EU business). I am not 100% convinced about the Phillipines but it's my first option after Thailand (which I removed from my destination's list after living there for 8+ years). What I am looking for is to connect a bit to other expats (30-50 yo crowd, me being late 30s) and have a good beach nearby and probably also interested in dating some long term relationship type of woman (have to list it otherwise people think I am just in the Phillipines because of the 0% tax :laugh:).

So I have booked already the first couple of months and it will be:

- 4-5 weeks in Angeles City (I will repent later :laugh:). This was the cheapest J flight from my current location and I wanted to check out the walking street and go to some bars. But the closer the date gets, the more I hate this decision and is off my list for permanent stay already. It initially seemed like a good idea because I wanted to party a bit after 4 years working 12h every day and a business partner's decision to spend a week's holiday there and we syncing up. Anyway, booked and paid. Rentals pretty cheap with ok quality (on Airbnb for around $700 a month).

- 1 week Makati. Definitely won't stay permanently in Manila. Have to see it with my own eyes though.

- 4-5 weeks El Nido. I like some of the beaches in proximity, and they're probably exactly what I'm looking for: wake up, work a bit, go to the gym, and then head to the beach for a couple of hours, repeat every day. But there are tons of youtube videos claiming El Nido beach is beautiful. It must be a joke. The beach is covered with black sand, plastered with garbage and boats, while people walk around. Who would want to lay there? These youtubers are so ridiculous - yes, I am getting triggered by those lies. Rentals are a bit pricey (on Airbnb for around $900 a month) and of very low quality, but I can go spartan as long as there's AC.

- 4-5 weeks Boracay. I like that it has numerous beautiful beaches, which appear to be rare in the Philippines (so it seems) including some that are less crowded. Reading through posts on this forum has convinced me that its a good choice to stay there for a longer time and perfect for my routine (work, gym, beach). Rental prices on Airbnb are higher overall than El Nido and the quality compared to Thailand is laughable. Many listings are shacks with nothing more than a mattress thrown in. However, I've managed to find some acceptable options for around $1200, and even some "not super bad" for about $800, though they are few.

These 4 "holidays" within the Phillipines are settled for, but afterwards I am totally undecided and have a hard time choosing another destination. On one hand I would think that I might just stay in Boracay but FOMO'ing (fear of missing out) if I won't visit Dumaguete and Cebu City for 1-2 months each. Subic was another idea but I don't like it, it's too small and the beach/es aren't really good.

And what matters most: I don't like paying these Airbnb rentals forever as they seem to be 2-3 times more expensive than a 12 month contract. So I need to settle for some place.

Do you guys have ideas about other locations which would be worth at least a month's stay? Or just some general advice is appreciate as well!

Edited by Gutenberg

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
33 minutes ago, Gutenberg said:

But the closer the date gets, the more I hate this decision and is off my list for permanent stay already

I would not discount Clark Pampanga, it is one of the nicer places I have lived/stayed in the Philippines.   Trees, no traffic, no tricycles, no jeeps, great restaurants and within 15 minutes to just about anything you need (well except the beach)

• Like 2

Freebie
Posted
Posted

If and once you have found a nice lady ( and you will find nice ones and some not so nice ) easy to hunker down in a place like Bantayan Siquijor Camiguan, Camotes ( all islands ) rent motorbike, got to fish palenke every day , tour round, enjoy beaches and enjoy being something of a vegetable. time just flies in this easy going manner Plenty of airbnbs to suit all budgets in these islands. Its an easy going life... but you need to take some company so make sure theres harmony  ( not harmoney, it will be your money ) and compatibility ie conversation, common interests... the between the sheets stuff happens naturally and normally but you ogtta be able to talke between bouts.....

• Like 2

Gator
Posted
Posted

While in Cebu City you might want to check out Bohol. Relatively short fast cat ferry ride and can rent a motor bike to tour around the island. Alona beach on Panglo Island is fairly nice, but touristy. Quite a few good beach front restos serving fresh fish (can dine right on the beach). 

Morong in Bataan has some nice beaches. Close enough to both Angeles and Subic for shopping trips as well.

Regardless of how “clean” a beach might look I strongly advise wearing surf shoes. Lots of sharp coral, broken glass and trash in the water and often on the beach as well. I have no idea about current rental prices in any of the areas I’ve mentioned. Boots on the ground is best. 

Gutenberg
Posted
Posted

Oh man, I just noticed how much I wrote about that. Well, it comes with the nickname :laugh:

15 hours ago, Freebie said:

If and once you have found a nice lady ( and you will find nice ones and some not so nice ) easy to hunker down in a place like Bantayan Siquijor Camiguan, Camotes ( all islands ) rent motorbike, got to fish palenke every day , tour round, enjoy beaches and enjoy being something of a vegetable. time just flies in this easy going manner Plenty of airbnbs to suit all budgets in these islands. Its an easy going life... but you need to take some company so make sure theres harmony  ( not harmoney, it will be your money ) and compatibility ie conversation, common interests... the between the sheets stuff happens naturally and normally but you ogtta be able to talke between bouts.....

Well, at one point I want to settle down and not travel constantly but be somewhere more permanently to establish myself a bit more in that specific location. Siquijor is also on my list as it has some nice beaches. About the women, I really don't prioritize women, I am also kinda fleeing the current one by going to the Phillipines :laugh:. Don't "modern good girls" have to work anyway and won't be free for travel?

One of the biggest issues I have is with the value for money of those Airbnb rentals. Look at this example from El Nido:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/602310302376862410?check_in=2024-08-01&check_out=2024-08-31&guests=1&adults=1&s=67&unique_share_id=ec71b31b-4967-49f3-b9d8-aec3778e1053

Close to $1000 a month for literal shack. And most of them in the category around $1000 look like that, regardless the location, all over the Philippines. I pay currently around $600 in the EU for a furnished apartment which has a Chesterfield sofa and armchair. So it's hard for me to pay so much for such trash. I have no issues paying $1000 or $1200 for an Airbnb but I expect a bit, just a bit, more quality for that price than what is offered.

18 hours ago, craftbeerlover said:

I would not discount Clark Pampanga, it is one of the nicer places I have lived/stayed in the Philippines.   Trees, no traffic, no tricycles, no jeeps, great restaurants and within 15 minutes to just about anything you need (well except the beach)

The good thing about Angeles is that it offers pretty decent gyms and fairly priced rentals with ok quality, even on Airbnb. But the entire bar thing isn't good for my spiritual life in the long run.

8 hours ago, Gator said:

While in Cebu City you might want to check out Bohol. Relatively short fast cat ferry ride and can rent a motor bike to tour around the island. Alona beach on Panglo Island is fairly nice, but touristy. Quite a few good beach front restos serving fresh fish (can dine right on the beach). 

Morong in Bataan has some nice beaches. Close enough to both Angeles and Subic for shopping trips as well.

Regardless of how “clean” a beach might look I strongly advise wearing surf shoes. Lots of sharp coral, broken glass and trash in the water and often on the beach as well. I have no idea about current rental prices in any of the areas I’ve mentioned. Boots on the ground is best. 

I dismissed Bohol because I didnt find the right beaches and any "ok" Airbnbs. Panglo island was on my list but it seems to be like a light version of Boracay. I might reconsider it.

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
51 minutes ago, Gutenberg said:

The good thing about Angeles is that it offers pretty decent gyms and fairly priced rentals with ok quality, even on Airbnb. But the entire bar thing isn't good for my spiritual life in the long run.

I am no where near the bars... and BTW, IMO El Nido is WAY overrated.   Garbage everywhere, I was severely disappointed when I went there.  I would never go back

• Sad 1

Gutenberg
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, craftbeerlover said:

I am no where near the bars... and BTW, IMO El Nido is WAY overrated.   Garbage everywhere, I was severely disappointed when I went there.  I would never go back

Yeah, I wrote already in the initial post about that. But then I went on and looked at videos of f. ex. Nacpan Beach and it looks good to me.

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gutenberg said:

I have no issues paying $1000 or $1200 for an Airbnb but I expect a bit, just a bit, more quality for that price than what is offered.

you can get a nice place in that price range if you look hard.   Prices on Airbnb are negotiable as well.   One of the problems in the Philippines is the vast difference between a nice sub division and what lies just outside its gates, the nice subdivisions are asking for A LOT and a lot of shitholes outside the nice subdivisions

• Like 1

Gutenberg
Posted
Posted
Just now, craftbeerlover said:

you can get a nice place in that price range if you look hard.   Prices on Airbnb are negotiable as well.   One of the problems in the Philippines is the vast difference between a nice sub division and what lies just outside its gates, the nice subdivisions are asking for A LOT and a lot of shitholes outside the nice subdivisions

I am spending hours on Airbnb every week and I guess it's the whole Airbnb thing vs. long term rental contract. People think they can make big money with their shacks because the location is "known". For the 55k PHP I would have to pay for the shack in El Nido I get a really nice and big apartment in Cebu City.

Or for 10k more, in Angeles City:
https://www.myproperty.ph/for-rent-73-sqm-1br-modern-elegant-condo-unit-one-166571943171.html

So I can live in a shack for 55k with wooden paper walls and a fan or in a beautiful hotel apartment for 65k.

• Like 1

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Gutenberg said:

I am spending hours on Airbnb every week and I guess it's the whole Airbnb thing vs. long term rental contract. People think they can make big money with their shacks because the location is "known". For the 55k PHP I would have to pay for the shack in El Nido I get a really nice and big apartment in Cebu City.

Or for 10k more, in Angeles City:
https://www.myproperty.ph/for-rent-73-sqm-1br-modern-elegant-condo-unit-one-166571943171.html

So I can live in a shack for 55k with wooden paper walls and a fan or in a beautiful hotel apartment for 65k.

Chok Dee Krap!!

• Haha 1