Where to go? Finding a place to settle!

Gator
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Gutenberg said:

I am spending hours on Airbnb every week and I guess it's the whole Airbnb thing vs. long term rental contract.

That’s part of your problem so perhaps it’s time to rethink your plan. I realize that not being here your options for finding long term rentals are limited. I had the same issues years ago when I first started staying here for longer 1-3 month stays, which I eventually changed to 5-6 month a year stays. 

Allow me to suggest the following: establish a “base of operations” for a month or so and take shorter trips to the places that interest you to get a better understanding of them. Why take the risk of renting for a month in a place like you may not like? 

To begin with I suggest Angeles / Clark for the simple reason you have an airport close by that is easily accessible and provides low cost intra island flights. Book a rental or even a hotel for 1- 2 weeks in Angeles. While you’re there rent a motor bike to look around for a place to rent for a longer term. You’ll most likely find (the same as I did) that many of the places you’re now seeing on the web are cheaper if you inquire in person and that there are others that are not even listed there. I know of a few that are very nice, fully furnished and are in the 20-35k (pesos) a month range; there also a few apartel types renting studios for even less. Based on your posts they are well within your budget. 

Once you find a place in AC you can easily fly to some of the other places on your list. I realize that you’ll essentially be paying double if you keep a place in AC and then rent a hotel room or an AirBnB for a few days or a week somewhere else, but you won’t have to keep packing up all your belongings over and over again. You’ll also have a place to come back to to relax, regroup, evaluate your findings and plan for your next trip. 

Naturally, as they’re very fond of saying here, “it’s up to you”. But IMHO you’re unnecessarily stressing yourself out right now. 

• Like 1

Rooster
Posted
Posted (edited)

Angeles City is a good option. Centrally located to many other areas if you get bored and wish to do short overnight trips elsewhere. Clark Airport, Nightlife, Expressway Access, Malls, Restaurants. PAF is being relocated to New Clark City opening up 300 Hectors of future investments coming in. 

I have a friend who lives 3 hours away from Angeles City in La Union. I'm always confused why more Expats never mention La Union as a place to live with the option of living on the beach, city, country or in the mountains. Hundreds of resorts to chose from. Beautiful Beaches. Low cost of living. Fresh Seafood. Fresh Vegetables from Baguio. Hospitals, Malls, and SM Mall is now under construction. They have a huge Bay walk. A short trip up The Mountain to Baguio. Freeway Access. San Fernando has a girlie bar nightlife area there called The Junction, many bars staffed with many beautiful women.  San Juan has a girlie bar nightlife area at the by pass road. Many Expats live there. I saw your German flag. There are many Germans who live there and a resort named Final Option owned by a German. San Juan, La Union is a huge tourist spot. 

Puerto Galera is an option. Nice Beaches, Bars with a nightlife, awesome scuba diving.

Edited by Rooster
  • Like 3

Gutenberg
Posted
Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Gator said:

That’s part of your problem so perhaps it’s time to rethink your plan. I realize that not being here your options for finding long term rentals are limited. I had the same issues years ago when I first started staying here for longer 1-3 month stays, which I eventually changed to 5-6 month a year stays.

The main issue I have is that the options in the Philippines for quality short-term Airbnb rentals for around $500-$1000 are very limited compared to, for example, Thailand. And the other issue is that there are only a few good beaches in the Philippines.

Long term rental options don't seem to be an issue, especially in cities like Dumaguete, Angeles, Cebu, where there are plenty with good quality and fair prices. Looking at some Facebook groups, on islands like Boracay, it's also possible to find ok quality for $600-$700 a month if renting for a year.

To begin with I suggest Angeles / Clark

5 weeks (+1 week Manila) booked and paid for already as mentioned in my initial post.

Allow me to suggest the following: establish a “base of operations” for a month or so and take shorter trips to the places that interest you to get a better understanding of them. Why take the risk of renting for a month in a place like you may not like?

[...]

But IMHO you’re unnecessarily stressing yourself out right now. 

I want to get a good feeling for the place and I doubt just a short trip will do it and I travel very lightly. That's why I created the itinerary of 5 weeks Angeles, 1 week Manila, 5 weeks El Nido, 5 weeks Boracay, and then probably Dumaguete, Cebu or other cities and Siargao and maybe other islands, also depending a lot on my liking for the previously visited locations. For example, if I like Boracay I would just get a 12 month rental there and stop traveling so much or only shorter trips.

Edited by Gutenberg

Gutenberg
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Rooster said:

I have a friend who lives 3 hours away from Angeles City in La Union. I'm always confused why more Expats never mention La Union as a place to live with the option of living on the beach, city, country or in the mountains. Hundreds of resorts to chose from. Beautiful Beaches. Low cost of living. Fresh Seafood. Fresh Vegetables from Baguio. Hospitals, Malls, and SM Mall is now under construction. They have a huge Bay walk. A short trip up The Mountain to Baguio. Freeway Access. San Fernando has a nightlife area there called The Junction, many bars staffed with many beautiful women.  San Juan has a nightlife area at the by pass road. Many Expats live there. I saw your German flag. There are many Germans who live there and a resort named Final Option owned by a German. San Juan, La Union is a huge tourist spot. 

Good input. I didn't look further north beyond Angeles. Okay, La Union, might add a week or two if I can find a good beach location with acceptable Airbnb.

Rooster
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Gutenberg said:

Good input. I didn't look further north beyond Angeles. Okay, La Union, might add a week or two if I can find a good beach location with acceptable Airbnb.

Search for AirBnb first in San Juan, La Union, the surfing area. Many Actors from Manila frequent there, some own establishments there.  The TPLEX is being extended there from Rosario exit. Search San Juan, la Union on YouTube.

Freebie
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Gutenberg said:

I dismissed Bohol because I didnt find the right beaches and any "ok" Airbnbs. Panglo island was on my list but it seems to be like a light version of Boracay. I might reconsider it.

Lok on the far side of Bohol.. Anda.. much less touristy. Panglao at moment has lots of Chinese on it according to a mate who was there last week.  Yes theres lots fo crap on airbnb , for tourists perhaps who want their  " we  lived in a pigsty " vlog.. but if you look around eaay to find decent ones. House I rented in Bantayan was us50 for a 2 bedroom unit 50 metres from beach, and in Siquijor, fabulous 2 room with self catering and wrap around balcony , was up on the hill, about US$45.

If I find a place I like I tend to negotiate and return without the airbnb commission cost. The good places are there, just have to look.

But ensure whereever you go you can rent a bike.

Arrived in Guimaras and found no one there rented motorbikes as very few tourists go there.

Ended up renting a bike from brother of a security guard , as theres no buses taxis and it was a long ride to my airbnb in the quaintly named Igdarapdap barangay.

Freebie
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Rooster said:

San Fernando has a girlie bar nightlife area there called The Junction, many bars staffed with many beautiful women.  San Juan has a girlie bar nightlife area at the by pass road

Sure its all still there.. .according to another expat site that Im on, nothing much there any more ??

Rooster
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Freebie said:

Sure its all still there.. .according to another expat site that Im on, nothing much there any more ??

Could you be confusing the Expat Bars that were in Bauang. La Union and not The Junction at Poro Point in San Fernando, La Union? There are only a few Expat Bars that remain open with GRO's in Bauang where many Expats live. Many shut down during Covid

The action now is The Junction located at Poro Point. Some of those bars were connverted to stores but the nightlife and girlie bars are still happening there..

• Like 1

Gutenberg
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Freebie said:

Lok on the far side of Bohol.. Anda.. much less touristy. Panglao at moment has lots of Chinese on it according to a mate who was there last week.  Yes theres lots fo crap on airbnb , for tourists perhaps who want their  " we  lived in a pigsty " vlog.. but if you look around eaay to find decent ones. House I rented in Bantayan was us50 for a 2 bedroom unit 50 metres from beach, and in Siquijor, fabulous 2 room with self catering and wrap around balcony , was up on the hill, about US$45.

If I find a place I like I tend to negotiate and return without the airbnb commission cost. The good places are there, just have to look.

But ensure whereever you go you can rent a bike.

Arrived in Guimaras and found no one there rented motorbikes as very few tourists go there.

Ended up renting a bike from brother of a security guard , as theres no buses taxis and it was a long ride to my airbnb in the quaintly named Igdarapdap barangay.

Ok. I have checked out Bohol a bit more the last hour and I added it to my list again :smile:. Might go there as well.

The mentioned examples would be over my monthly budget as its $1500. Sure, in this price category it's a bit easier to find better quality but my limit is $1000 for monthly airbnbs. Daily/Weekly I have also no issues going to $50/day but not on per month basis.

Rooster
Posted
Posted
On 2/27/2024 at 10:37 AM, Gutenberg said:

Phillipines because of the 0% tax :laugh:).

There are many types of Taxes in The Philippines. value added tax VAT is currently 12%.