Where to go? Finding a place to settle!

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Ao My friend why are so many wanting move to the Philippines? Can it be maybe, the Visa issue in Thailand?

that could be it, but if I remember correctly, if you are over 50, it becomes much easier???

• Hmm thinking 1

Gutenberg
Posted
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, craftbeerlover said:

Why Philippines over Thailand?   For me it is not even close, I would choose Thailand in a nano second.  Been to most places there, and learned to speak the language quite well.  Probably forgot much of it by now, but I still think I would do ok.   The only thing Philippines has over Thailand IMO is English is kind of spoken here, everything else tilts in a big way to Thailand.  Culture, food, infrastructure, pride, etc...  

And the beaches are better and the apartments are cheaper / better value for the money.

But I just can't get the right long term visa because under 50 yo.

I am under 40 and the only viable option would be this 900k THB for 5 years or 1.5 million THB for 10 years Elite Visa. I can't really afford it. I mean, ok, if I really don't enjoy the Phillippines I will come up with that money and do it anyways but not without hating myself. And the other problem is the newly launched law to tax foreigners living in Thailand more than 185 days.

The Phillippines is just so attractive in those regards and very positive for me is that I want to visit a local Church regularly and the Phillipines seems to be a good place for that.

23 minutes ago, hk blues said:

The problem here, and I'd have thought in Thailand as well, is that those violent experiences can lead to more than just bruised pride.  

I won't go into details otherwise I sound like that special forces marines green beret with 10 master degrees copy pasta style type of guy :laugh: but I had my fair share of extreme encounters, but all of them related to alcohol or girlfriends and none left lasting physical and psychological damage.

Edited by Gutenberg

Rooster
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Gutenberg said:

According to the current information, foreign sourced income/transfers of Aliens into the Phillippines are not taxed in the Phillippines.

I thought it depends on The Tax treaty between The Philippines and The Country where one is receiving the Foreign Sourced Income.

BIR Website explains that.

https://www.bir.gov.ph/index.php/international-tax-matters/taxation-of-foreign-source-income.html

Gutenberg
Posted
Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Rooster said:

I thought it depends on The Tax treaty between The Philippines and The Country where one is receiving the Foreign Sourced Income.

BIR Website explains that.

https://www.bir.gov.ph/index.php/international-tax-matters/taxation-of-foreign-source-income.html

This link doesn't address Aliens, only Resident Citizens.

For Aliens, foreign sourced income/transfers is non-taxable.

Here's some more details about that:

https://assets.kpmg.com/content/dam/kpmg/xx/pdf/2023/01/TBB-Philippines.pdf

Or to see who's required to file for income tax (Aliens only if they have Philippine sourced income):

https://www.bir.gov.ph/index.php/tax-information/income-tax.html

By the way, a youtuber making videos in the Phillippines and making money with it means he's getting Phillippine sourced income and is tax liable in the Phillippines for it.

Edited by Gutenberg
  • Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Gutenberg said:

I won't go into details otherwise I sound like that special forces marines green beret with 10 master degrees copy pasta style type of guy :laugh: but I had my fair share of extreme encounters, but all of them related to alcohol or girlfriends and none left lasting physical and psychological damage.

Ah, you got lucky so far then.  Hope your luck continues here. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Maxheadspace
Posted
Posted
On 2/27/2024 at 10:37 AM, Gutenberg said:

So my plan is to "move to" the Phillipines as in "permanently" as possible

Being in your 30's, stick to major population centers for the amenities.  I live further out in the province and there is zero night life.  Of course the closer you get to the major population centers the more you're paying for living, but there's an equilibrium in there somewhere.

Viel glueck!

• Like 1