Kidney Stones, Ouch!

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, craftbeerlover said:

In the US they gave me tamsulosin to help it pass.

Ah, yes, Harnal is brand name for Tamsulosin and he put that on the prescription.

8 hours ago, craftbeerlover said:

Goes without saying, make sure you do it with a Dr you trust

I like the doc.  Saw him in 2021 but did not follow thru.  Now that I think back about it, it was probably due to the ridiculous covid protocols.  He looks younger but is probably mid-30s.  Perfect English and seems very knowledgeable.

Another note for those who might be in the area.  Baypointe Hospital has been ACE Baypointe for a few years now.  Slowly but surely, the takeover by ACE seems to be a good thing.  Baypointe had a bad rep with many residents.  Small improvements are adding up.

• Like 1

Guy F.
Posted
Posted (edited)

I had some kidney stones. The largest was football shaped, 3mm x 8mm. Of course the pain was terrible, as intense as a bad toothache. At first they gave me morphine, which did nothing. Then they administered more morphine, which still didn't do diddly squat for me. Then they tried Dilaudid which did the trick.

There is a diet which will help to prevent kidney stones. It's easy to find online so I'm not going to do all of your homework for you. I will say that dark green vegetables and nuts (except pistachios and walnuts) are at the top of the list of foods to avoid. Oddly, dairy products except yogurt are permissible.

I had been consuming a ridiculous amount of peanut butter every day before the troubles, and I believe that to be a major factor in the affair.

Edited by Guy F.
  • Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Related and salient, I believe although a bit off topic...

. My dog began having difficulty peeing - as in lift his leg and hold it there trying to pee for upwards of two minutes with little result.

I took him to the vet who promptly took an x-ray. They found he had a number - at least 5 or 6 - stones in his bladder! His bladder was full so they catharized him to relieve a potentially and close to deadly situation. They then gave me some tablets (which I don't remember what and they would be veterinary anyway) to give him every day. These were to acidize (if that is a word) his urine, which they said would break down the stones. Well, he was okay for a couple of days and then it was difficulty peeing, but not impossible. He would dribble and squirt. One morning a few days later I went out to greet him and he could barely stand up. we went out for his walk and just sort of gimped along without much enthusiasm. However, he was able to pee much better. We went back to the vet again two days later -  because he was much better in just that one day with numerous and voluminous pees. Another x-ray showed that the number and size of the stones were both noticeably less. We believe he might have passed a stone early that morning We kept him on the med for three weeks and he gradually improved. We went one more time for a check-up and x-ray and there was a small line of maybe 5 stones lined up at the beginning of his urethra. So we had him catharized again. This time he made great progress and peed normally within a couple of weeks. We also changed dog food to one that is low sodium and designed to prevent bladder stones - it's called Royal Canin Urinary. No more of his favourite, salty treats - poor guy.

So what does all this have to do with kidney stones in humans? Well, I remember reading years ago - when a friend underwent emergency surgery to remove a stone - that high acid diet  (lots of citrus liquids and lots of water, along with lower amounts of sodium (salt)) - worked  well to keep stones from forming and/or breaking up any that might still be lurking in his system. Ten years on and no more problems.

For what it's worth...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

My dog began having difficulty peeing - as in lift his leg and hold it there trying to pee for upwards of two minutes with little result.

Same with me!  And my left leg is hard to lift cuz of my bad hip!

35 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

They then gave me some tablets (which I don't remember what and they would be veterinary anyway) to give him every day. These were to acidize (if that is a word) his urine, which they said would break down the stones.

Actually it is to reduce acidity and raise PH, the way I read it for my meds..  I am taking Ural and Lit-Control Up for that.

39 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

it's called Royal Canin Urinary.

I'm trying Pedipee.

Viking
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I'm trying Pedipee.

🤣

longway
Posted
Posted
On 3/20/2024 at 6:36 AM, craftbeerlover said:

Supposedly, things such as apple cider vinegar and lemon juice may help, but you can do that research and see if you think its right for you.  

Straight apple cider vinegar can irritate your throat. Dilute it with water. Works Just as well for intended purpose. Also,  A friend of mine had kidney stones, took Sambong capsules for a few months, ultrasound results showed Stones dissolving and eventually gone, never passed to his knowledge. Now one year later He is still taking a low dose of Sambong daily as a preventative.

• Like 3

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, longway said:

Straight apple cider vinegar can irritate your throat. Dilute it with water. Works Just as well for intended purpose. Also,  A friend of mine had kidney stones, took Sambong capsules for a few months, ultrasound results showed Stones dissolving and eventually gone, never passed to his knowledge. Now one year later He is still taking a low dose of Sambong daily as a preventative.

Same here!!

• Like 2

Boinky69
Posted
Posted

I had Kidney stones about 2 years ago. Excruciating pain and constipation. My pinoy nursed me through it. Medication to break them down and water, water and more water to flush them. Once the constipation was sorted (suppositories) it was manageable.  We generally suffer from poor diet and do not consume enough water daily. If you have a poor diet but drink 2 liters of water a day you constantly are flushing your kidneys and the chances of kidney stones crystalizing are reduced to almost nil.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
On 3/23/2024 at 1:24 PM, OnMyWay said:

Actually it is to reduce acidity and raise PH, the way I read it for my meds..  I am taking Ural and Lit-Control Up for that.

I hate to disagree with you OMW, but my readings and what the vet confirmed is that the stones build up due to lack of proper hydration - as mentioned by @Boinky69 - and salt adds to that and crystalizes in kidneys and or bladder. The acid meds or treatments (like lemon juice, straight apple cider, etc.) apparently do the job. (I do wonder if gay apple cider might work also?:89:) Anyway, glad to hear the success stories across the board...

Boinky69
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

I hate to disagree with you OMW, but my readings and what the vet confirmed is that the stones build up due to lack of proper hydration - as mentioned by @Boinky69 - and salt adds to that and crystalizes in kidneys and or bladder. The acid meds or treatments (like lemon juice, straight apple cider, etc.) apparently do the job. (I do wonder if gay apple cider might work also?:89:) Anyway, glad to hear the success stories across the board...

Apple Cider has many health benefits. Most conditions we take medication for can be eliminated (along with the meds) with healthy eating, ample water hydration, regular exercise and limiting or excluding bad foods / alcohol..