Kidney Stones, Ouch!

Possum
Posted
Posted (edited)

My kidney stone looked similar to the image attached as I caught it in a filter the urologist gave me. Needless to say I knew when it passed as my equipment has never passed anything that was not a liquid before. Holding the filter while in tears in order to catch this rock was a major effort. Since then I drink fruit juice often and avoid hard water, No problem for 20 years so far. I have great sympathy for anyone with kidney stones, it is not a pleasant experience.

vV3rtADHCvhccJ9QBpuFDJ-970-80.jpg.webp

Edited by Possum
typo
  • Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 3/27/2024 at 6:02 AM, Mike J said:

It seems unlikely that a 8mm stone could have been reduced in size to pass in such a short time.

The doc said if I did not pass it in 7-10 days, it might cause damage to the kidney.  If it comes to that, he would smash it with a urethral procedure.  I have been taking the meds for 7 full days.  Today I am staying close to home and drinking tons of water.  Wish me luck and not too much pain!

19 hours ago, craftbeerlover said:

hmmm the odds of passing an 8mm stone are slim to none, and I do not understand why the Urologist did not tell you that (those are words from a Dr and not my own, paraphrasing of course).     You need to get that thing broken up, or have confidence that something like Sambong will shrink it. 

I did not give all the detail.  As I mentioned to Mike above, he said if it does not pass in 7-10 days, other options have to be considered.  And, with all the meds, he said there was about 70% chance I could pass it.  Probably optimistic, but so be it.  I just spend 12k on meds and plan to be extra diligent in taking them.  I will talk to him Monday about how to monitor the kidney to avoid damage.  I am peeing ok so I hope that if not passed yet, I can just continue to take the meds to shrink it.  I will get an ultrasound Monday.

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 4

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Wishing you well Don.

• Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Possum said:

My kidney stone looked similar to the image attached as I caught it in a filter the urologist gave me. Needless to say I knew when it passed as my equipment has never passed anything that was not a liquid before. Holding the filter while in tears in order to catch this rock was a major effort. Since then I drink fruit juice often and avoid hard water, No problem for 20 years so far. I have great sympathy for anyone with kidney stones, it is not a pleasant experience.

vV3rtADHCvhccJ9QBpuFDJ-970-80.jpg.webp

I think I need to cut down.

McDonalds-Offers-10.99-40-Piece-Chicken-McNuggets-Deal-At-Select-Locations-In-Honor-Of-The-Items-40th-Anniversary-589109977.jpg

• Haha 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Thanks to all that contributed their experiences!  One more question.

When you had severe pain / attacks, did it come and go, for brief periods, or longer periods, before passing a stone?

I'm puzzled because my last attack was Wednesday the 20th, 9 days ago, and no pain at all since.  I was thinking I should feel something down there, if not a full blown attack.

The only abnormal thing going on now is that I am peeing frequently, but I am also drinking a ton of water.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

The only abnormal thing going on now is that I am peeing frequently, but I am also drinking a ton of water.

I used to get that problem when I had stones However, when I investigated further it was found that i had moderately enlarged prostate, Have you thought about getting that checked? :tiphat: another thing to consider, are you having a problem emptying your Bladder completely? It is all part of the Male water works system :89:  

Edited by Jack Peterson
  • Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

I used to get that problem when I had stones However, when I investigated further it was found that i had moderately enlarged prostate, Have thought about getting that checked? :tiphat: another thing to consider, are you having a problem emptying your Bladder completely? It is all part of the Male water works system :89:  

Yes, stones aside, I think part of the peeing a lot could be prostate related.  The ultrasound they did last week included the prostate, and it is normal sized right now.  I have had some prostate related peeing issues in the past, and one of the meds I am taking now for the stone issue, Tamsulosin, was prescribed for that issue.  I also get my PSA tested every year or two, and that has been fine.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Thanks to all that contributed their experiences!  One more question.

When you had severe pain / attacks, did it come and go, for brief periods, or longer periods, before passing a stone?

I'm puzzled because my last attack was Wednesday the 20th, 9 days ago, and no pain at all since.  I was thinking I should feel something down there, if not a full blown attack.

Yes, the pain can come and go.  I think it is related to movement/position of the stone in the kidney.  Also, If/when it descends into the ureter the pain will increase if the flow of urine is blocked.  

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
41 minutes ago, Mike J said:

Yes, the pain can come and go.  I think it is related to movement/position of the stone in the kidney.  Also, If/when it descends into the ureter the pain will increase if the flow of urine is blocked.  

The 8 mm one that is the current pain problem has already descended and is stuck there, as I understand it.  Here is the drawing the doc made.  There are larger stones in the kidneys but currently they are not a problem.

IMG_20240329_190404.jpg

• Sad 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
42 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

The 8 mm one that is the current pain problem has already descended and is stuck there, as I understand it.  Here is the drawing the doc made.  There are larger stones in the kidneys but currently they are not a problem.

I think you need to get that stone blasted so it will pass.  At the very least I would get a second opinion.