Would You Stay Or Go Home

Sampaguita
Posted
Posted

It took me years to get used to living in the US and I still prefer the Philippines so I wonder how many of you who have moved to the Philippines would rather go back to the country you came from?

United Army
Posted
Posted

I'm from the US and would never go back there...its to nice here in the PR, cost of living is cheaper, women are nice, and it never gets cold here. And besides the US puts there nose into other countries business where it does not belong.

• Like 1

Mik
Posted
Posted

I consider the Philippines my home. I moved here almost five years ago...

Braddo
Posted
Posted

My wife has been in Australia now for 4 years she likes it here but would rather be back home in the PIWe have a house there and as soon as I can afford to live there permanently we will make the moveThe people are more friendlier and more layed back than over here in Aussie land I love it in the PI and can't wait to move as wellCheers Braddo

Singers
Posted
Posted
It took me years to get used to living in the US and I still prefer the Philippines so I wonder how many of you who have moved to the Philippines would rather go back to the country you came from?
My home is with my wife. Now in UK soon in our PI house. But family and "ROOTS" has a strong pull for us and for most people I think.I lived in Singapore for ten GREAT years and shed a tear when leaving. Thought I would miss it and the people terribly. I do not.Got back to my UK home , put the Heating on and the kettle and 20 minutes later sitting looking at the Cherry Blossom with a cup of Tea I felt as if I had never left here.Therefore my home IS with Chistina and wherever she hangs her hat IS Home!UK Tom

Travis
Posted
Posted
I do miss the many conveniences & better roads back home but I could not afford to live there. yes if I was rich then I would probably live in the US or another first world country. too much pollution here coz of the garbage burning & the lack of pollution regulations on vehicles

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

We only came back to the Philippines after I took an early retirement at age 49, at which point my pension wasn't enough to live on in the U.S. without having to work. We've lived in the Philippines a total of 24 years! So, at this point we may be able to afford to go back to the U.S. and live there again comfortably if we ever decide to go back. We haven't decided yet to do that because our lifestyle here is financially stable, safe and comfortable! So, no need to change anything for now! But then again, we just may stay here indefinitely! It just all depends on what happens to this country in the next few years with it's new President, his cabinet members and all the other politicians! Will they make or break this country?

Edited by Pinoy Art

tropicalwaste
Posted
Posted

Financially going back to the UK would take 20 years to get to the same sort of easy lifestyle we have here in Cebu when you take into account buying a house etc. On top of that the way the UK defines everything in a box and structured I hate it.. which is why I like the Philippines I rarely have any involvement with local government or hassled by law enforcement. In the UK I have had at least 11 speeding fines, a careless driving and countless producers for speeding some of you may think its my own fault for going so fast.. but at the same time I don't have to live within those rules generally in the provinces of Cebu. Not flaunting the law a lot of the law in the UK is over the top same as health and safety. I can't see me ever wanting to go back to the UK except to see my daughter there. But I do go back yearly for work for a few months as its quicker to make money there if you can limit your costs to the absolute minimum. The UK lost its shine for me a long time ago and it has steadily got worse over the last decade.

4thDan
Posted
Posted

I'm new to the Forum, but in the "for what it's worth" category, here's my opinion. I was born and raised in the US, took my retirement in early April. I moved to PR around the first of May of this year. I've got a wonderful "partner", soon to be asawa, a nice home, a comfortable life style and not too many worries from this side of the ocean. I left three grown children back in the States whom I do miss a great deal. But when I was there, months would go by without seeing them as they all have their own lives, as it should be. So my move here was two fold. One, it's "Dad's" time to enjoy some of the fruits of his labors, and two, I couldn't get "her" to live in the snow (LOL). I'm here, this is home. I keep up on the news via various web sites, and I don't like what I see happening back home politically and socially. There is no way that I could live anywhere near as comfortably there as I do here without having to supplement my pension check. Here, we manage to bank a good portion of the check each month. There are major differences in the "ways of living" between the two worlds, but there is a price to pay for everything. And I'm not willing to pay the price necessary to have a house number, well paved roads, a major grocery store close by and groups of derisive peoples all hating each other. No, I like it here, it's simpler and easier. I was raised on a clay hill farm in west central Illinois and I can remember pumping water for the house use. LOL here I have inside running water, most of the time. I worked in two major cities in the US and compared to here, you can have both of them. In short, I haven't found a real reason to ever consider going back for more than just a visit.

• 2 months later...
Art2ro
Posted
Posted

I truly beleive, in the minds of the majority of expats, they have the urge more to live in their own home country verses in the Philippines due to the fact that in a 3rd world country there's just too many disadvantages and aggravations to put up with, like the cultural differences, the numerous government bureaucratic nonsense and the high cost of out of the pocket medical care! And plus the fact now due to the recession, it may now be more affordable to return to one's home country and start a new life all over again with the pension one already is receiving from their home country, but there are still others, who can not say the same because their pensions are still not enough to return to their own home country to start anew and so, the Philippines is their only last resort to live in, in order to make ends meet in the long run and plus their wives no longer want to move anymore because they're set in their ways and have bonded with their immediate family again after a long absence and don't want to take the risk of not being able to return to the Philippines again! So for some would say, the Philippines is a nice place to visit, but they would not want to live here on a permanent basis! I don't blame them and don't blame others in returning to their home countries!