Would You Stay Or Go Home

Travis
Posted
Posted

I seem to be changing my mind on staying so may be going

UZI
Posted
Posted

It is interesting to see the different answers from the last 3 replies.Matt, 4th Dan, Mik, Marko & Braddo concur with my experience, that the majority of Expats that are 'RESIDENTS' here, wouldn't dream of going back home for anything more than a visit. I most certainly will never go back. The Philippines is my home now for better or worse.When I see statements like this from members here & on other forums:

in the minds of the majority of expats, they have the urge more to live in their own home country verses in the Philippines due to the fact that in a 3rd world country there's just too many disadvantages and aggravations to put up with
Which is contrary to the other comments, so perhaps, this is what the poster wants to do. There is much less bureaucracy here than in our own countries as stated by Matt
the way the UK defines everything in a box and structured I hate it.. which is why I like the Philippines I rarely have any involvement with local government
and depending on where you live Traveler, most conveniences can be found. Within 30 mins or so, we have Tennis & badminton courts, 10 pin bowling, beach resorts, a number of well equipped, stocked & clean supermarkets. Plenty outside activities too, like Matt's Airsoft, Golf, Cycling, Climbing, sailing, scuba & snorkeling etc etc 7_3_205[1].gif. Add to that cheap public transport too. Not to bad on the convenience front. I will give you the roads bit :th_thimage_265775:Oh and here is a BIGGY............... Its NEVER COLD 36_1_68[1].gifPro's vs Cons...? No contest for me :cheersty:Uzi

Patsada
Posted
Posted

If I could afford a similar life style like here in the Phils, I would consider living back in good old Europe, but in a Southern country with acceptable climate, like South Italy, Greece or Portugal.Alternatively to the Phils, as mentioned in another thread, I could imagine to live somewhere in Central America, like Costa Rica or Panama; but with a Philippina wife it would simply be sort of absurd, wouldn't it....Patsada

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

Here we go, nit picking again! 3 or 4 comments on a forum doesn't make it a majority! For all you know, thousands or millions of people from the silent majority is thinking other wise, but are just not vocal about it! So, don't you contradict my post or POV if you know nothing of the silent majority's opinion and my own! Some times, " silence is golden! "

Edited by MrBBtheFilAm

Tom in Texas
Posted
Posted
It took me years to get used to living in the US and I still prefer the Philippines so I wonder how many of you who have moved to the Philippines would rather go back to the country you came from?
I too used to wonder about this. I ran a poll of expats residing in the RP about a year ago, and for what its worth, got the following info --Out of 23 responses (8 in RP for more than 3 years, 9 in RP for more than 5 years), - ------- 21 say they are satisfied with their decision,------- 18 say that, health and finances permitting, they intend to remain in RP permanently.Not too scientific... since those who do not intend to stay probably not visiting the Forums... or had already left... etc., -- but still, it was encouraging to me.Tom in Texas

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Everyone has a different POV because we are all different and have different wants and needs as well as different financial situations etc. Also Tom beat me to it, no survey would come out correct because most who could not cut it in the Philippines lost interest in forums or were never on forums in the first place, but I have read many posts on forums where former expats called the Philippines a hell hole and other such expletives that might be better left unsaid. The Philippines is not for everyone and that is why I tell people to first do a very long visit before moving there because a vacation is very different than living somewhere, so some end up loving it and some still hate it after a year. One member on this forum who does not post often and has lived in Cebu about a year now cannot wait to get back to the states and tells me that all the time on the phone, but I will leave it for him to post his opinions.  

Tom in Texas
Posted
Posted
I truly beleive, in the minds of the majority of expats, they have the urge more to live in their own home country verses in the Philippines...
I suspect Art is correct... just based on the numbers. It would take a little research, but I very, very much doubt the more than 50% of all the expats who ever resided in the RP continue to reside there or have died there.......... Therefore, I assume that a a majority of them at some point did have the urge to live somewhere, likely their home country, rather than to continue to reside in the RP.Hang in there, Art... You are right on this one.BTW - does anybody have any numbers on the total number of expats residing in the RP... and the total number of new non-tourist expat arrivals on an annual basis.Tom in Texas

Tom in Texas
Posted
Posted
no survey would come out correct because most who could not cut it in the Philippines lost interest in forums or were never on forums in the first place, but I have read many posts on forums where former expats called the Philippines a hell hole and other such expletives that might be better left unsaid....
As is usually the case.... Lee is one step ahead of me.I've only been following the Forums for three years, and while there seems to be a core group of 50 or so that have been RP residents for most of that time.... there have been many hundreds who post about their move to the RP.... and then drift away never to be heard from again?Did they just lose interest in the Forums? Seems if they are living there, they would have more interest.Did they return home and no longer give a crap about the Forums? Seems more likely to me.Someone like Lee would have a much better handle on this than I... Art's opinion just seems to make intuitive sense to me.Tom in Texas

stef
Posted
Posted (edited)

this shows how few foreigners live here.BI reports 559% increase in registered foreignersMANILA, Aug. 2 (PNA) -- The Bureau of Immigration (BI) has reported a 559-percent increase in the number of registered foreigners in the Philippines during the first semester of the year. BI alien registration division (ARD) chief Danilo Almeda said the number of foreigners listed at his office numbered almost 58,000 as of June this year compared to only more than 12,000 who were registered in the same period in 2009. Almeda disclosed that during the first quarter of the year, the number of BI-registered aliens increased by 365 percent and their number surged further during the second quarter when their number jumped by 559 percent%. “As a result, the number of registered aliens from January to June totaled 57,939, compared to the 12,669 listed during the first semester of last year,” Almeda said in his report to Justice Undersecretary Jose Vicente ‘JV’ Salazar, the officer-in-charge of the bureau. Almeda said as a result of the meteoric increase in registered aliens, the BI collected for the government more than P53 million in fees for processing the alien certificates of registration identity card (ACR I-Card) of the foreigners. Expatriates or working visa applicants’ account for the bulk of the registered foreigners, followed by holders of student visas and foreigners married to Filipinos,” he added. Almeda attributed the large increase in registered aliens to the aggressive campaign of the former BI in encouraging foreigners to visit, do business and study in the Philippines. He cited the steady growth in the number of expatriates which, saying this proof that the Philippines remains a favorite destination for foreign business executives, many of whom are employed by multinational firms. Also cited as a major factor is the success of the BI’s regionalization program where in the various field and satellite offices of the bureau were mobilized to encourage foreigners living outside of Metro Manila to register and regularize their stay in the country. Under the rules, a foreigner who registers with the BI after being a granted a visa is issued an ACR I-Card as proof of his lawful residence status in the country. The identity card replaced the paper-based ACR that the bureau had previously issued to BI-registered aliens. (PNA) LDV/FMB

Edited by stef
  • Like 1

Mik
Posted
Posted

As I stated above, the Philippines is my home now. I'd go back if you could turn back the clock 50 years to the time of my youth. America in 1960 is blatantly not the same country now, especially the past decade. I won't live under communism..