Why Do Some Loud Mouth Aholes Have To Act That Way

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
In Taiwan, not the Philippines, the other week I was at the coin laundry shop. I always use the small machine which is cheaper, but there was a lady using up two or three of the small ones rather than using one of the big ones. I had to pay more and stick my small load in a big machine (hardiharhar), and lodged a complaint with her. It was too late (barely) for her to do anything about it, but she tried to make up for it by offering me her laundry detergent of a much better quality than the stuff sold in the laundry-mat. I was confused: I just showed her how upset I was, but now she's fighting my anger with kindness, but her original move was still a prick move. Should I let my guard down and return the kindness with a smile and use her soap, or stubbornly stick to my ways and use the cheap quality on-site soap? I stuck to my guns, and played the sulking baby role. I'd already made an ass of myself. It was asking too much to now let her play the hero, as well.
She was wrong in a way but as a good Buddhist did the right thing by offering you kindness. I was not there so maybe she was playing you or maybe not. Chinese culture is not easy to understand but I lived there about 40 years ago so things have changed I am sure.:)
  • Like 1

roy2cebu
Posted
Posted

Yeah, I've witnessed some unsavoury incidents.One that sticks in my mind was a bloke with his girl at a restaraunt. The food wasn't to his liking when delivered..." Hey you! Take this effing sh&t away and cook it properly!"It was said full voiced for all to hear.....pitiful.One can't judge others completely as no one is perfect so is it necessary to drag up what one perceives as loud mouth axxsholes on forums ....Oh! to be saint!

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
In Taiwan, not the Philippines, the other week I was at the coin laundry shop. I always use the small machine which is cheaper, but there was a lady using up two or three of the small ones rather than using one of the big ones. I had to pay more and stick my small load in a big machine (hardiharhar), and lodged a complaint with her. It was too late (barely) for her to do anything about it, but she tried to make up for it by offering me her laundry detergent of a much better quality than the stuff sold in the laundry-mat. I was confused: I just showed her how upset I was, but now she's fighting my anger with kindness, but her original move was still a prick move. Should I let my guard down and return the kindness with a smile and use her soap, or stubbornly stick to my ways and use the cheap quality on-site soap? I stuck to my guns, and played the sulking baby role. I'd already made an ass of myself. It was asking too much to now let her play the hero, as well.
It depends I guess, you were not in the laundry when she filled the machines and maybe no one else was so really is there anything to complain about. If she genuinely offered an apology by giving her detergent to you then why act like a child? what did you gain,nothing but time sulking,lol

tom_shor
Posted
Posted (edited)
Maybe she had stuff that needed to be washed separately. White undies, Red Socks, Blue pants. Just a thought. PS How much would you have saved by using her soap instead of buying soap? Edited by tom_shor

tom_shor
Posted
Posted
Yeah, I've witnessed some unsavoury incidents.One that sticks in my mind was a bloke with his girl at a restaraunt. The food wasn't to his liking when delivered..." Hey you! Take this effing sh&t away and cook it properly!"It was said full voiced for all to hear.....pitiful.One can't judge others completely as no one is perfect so is it necessary to drag up what one perceives as loud mouth axxsholes on forums ....Oh! to be saint!
Never a good idea to speak to people who handle your food that way. My response would have a big smile and a Why certainly sir as I took it away. He probably won't notice I have an even bigger smile when I bring it back. Bon Apetite. :cool_beans:
  • Like 1

stevensan
Posted
Posted

Fully agree, I could easily have been the 'white guy' screaming at the SM cashier... I have done so in the past, but ALWAYS with just reason.The last time I was one of the first customers in at 10am in the morning - no one else in the supermarket... Picked up the loaf of bread, and a packet of dried mango's for the wife and headed to the nearest checkout, only for the cashier to helpfully inform me that this lane was for 'BIG CARTS ONLY' and I should go to the 'Basket' lane. I looked around and asked 'Seriously? The shop is empty'. However, she insisted, so, just to be annoying, I left my groceries and went and got an empty Cart and wheeled it up to the cashier. This time she looked at me and said 'You don't have enough for a big cart, go to the basket lane'. Still, very calm and polite I asked, 'Sorry, where does it say I must have a minimum number of items?'. Her reply? 'I have an English degree and I know the rules so you should go to the other lane cause I told you so.'At this point I admit I lost it, and yelled at her 'SCAN THE DAMN (may have used a different word here) BREAD OR GO GET YOUR MANAGER'. She looked at me, picked the bread up, scanned it and literally threw it to the extent it flew off the cashier station and onto the floor. I asked her (pretty polietly I thought) 'Are you going to pick that up?', to which i got a short and sharp 'NO'. Again, I shouted at her 'Change your ******** attitude, slammed the money down, picked up my bread and didnt even wait for the receipt as I stormed out the door.Is that being an arogant a*****e white guy??? If I was back home I would have been a hell of a lot more impolite and given them a ton more abuse, especially for coming out with the 'I have a degree line', like it excuses their rudeness!And I fully agree with KFC. My wife always orders a Zinger, and they always say '5 minutes Sir'. If we have it within 20 minutes we are lucky. On about 10% of occasions they say 5 minutes, after 15 we ask and they say 5 minutes, and then 10 minutes later we ask again and they say 'Oh, sorry sir, we don't have in stock'. My wife becomes a lot more of an 'a*****e' to them then than I've ever been :)

I don't doubt what you're saying about this guy is true. The Philippines is full of undesirable foreigners for undesirable reasons. BUT, I have been that white guy yelling at people in Asian countries (not just the Philippines), and usually for good reasons. I've also been a jerk to my wife and talked rudely to her in public. I'll admit that I should've handled these situations better, and have improved at it over the years. I'm not as quick to complain as I used to be. But sometimes...................... haha............. you snap, and with good reason. A small pet peeve of mine is KFC. I'VE NEVER HAD GOOD SERVICE IN A PHILIPPINE KFC WHILE ORDERING THE ZINGER BURGER!!! :SugarwareZ-037: This one burger always seems to screw with me. So when they tell me 5 minutes and I'm waiting 15 and I complain a little only to find that they don't care and/or have forgotten about it, I'll be an a**h*le. Not because they're Filipino. I've been the same a**h*le in a Taiwan KFC and a Canadian MacDonalds (really bad service) and a Korean place that told me repeatedly they couldn't serve my ice cream in a cone while they were standing beside cones. However, I've come to realize that being an a**h*le will ultimately only make my life worse, as if it escalates, I'm the one in trouble. So I try not to be an a**h*le anymore - also with my wife - and I don't condone what assholes do.... but I understand how they might feel.
  • Like 1

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

After being a loud mouth a--hole in public "for the day", doesn't it make one feel like a "loud mouth a--hole" afterwards and does it make one feel any better, because your blood pressure has been elevated and leaves a "an a--hole here, kick me" sign on your back side upon leaving where ever you came from? Politeness to people no matter what the reasons are, is better than getting angry and shouting in public, it'll just ruin one's day and makes one become grumpy the rest of the afternoon and evening! Is it worth it? My wife and I have lunch at our local SM Mall regularly once a week and most of the employees at McDonald's or KFC knows my wife and treats us very well whenever we eat at their perspective places. My wife is a McDonald and KFC fan! She gets in line like everybody else and orders for the both of us so there's no reason for me to get involved! She does the grocery shopping on her own at SM while I window shop. She also has a prestige advantage SM card where the grocery cashier counters have shorter lines! We've learned to be patient with people doing their jobs! Being polite and with a smile works wonders every time!

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I believe that the problem is that employees are taught something and not give the reason why, so they then have tunnel vision, such in the case of the cashier, she was taught it was the big cart lane and was never taught why, and has never used her head as to why because it appears that workers in the Philippines are taught to blindly follow, so she just follows the simple rule they gave her to follow. If it had been me, I would have politely asked to speak to a manager after first asking her why does she think that rule is there, and then if she does not know why the rule is there, I would explain it to her, it is there so people with large carts full of groceries do not have to wait for a lot of people with baskets, and more important it is there so that people with smaller items can get done quicker at the line for small baskets, but since there is no one in her line, and no one waiting, then what difference does it make, and ask her if she would rather stand around and not work, than ring up my few items. Sometimes we have to try to get people out of tunnel vision, but it is probably best for our blood pressure and for what people will think of us, to do it as nicely as we can. There is also one other thing to take into consideration, it is possible in the Philippines that bosses, who also have tunnel vision, will later on check her tape and yell at her for taking a small group of items because they will not know if there were others in line at the time, so knowing that, she did not wish to get into trouble.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Being polite and with a smile works wonders every time!
You are absolutely right. Today I was backing out into traffic on a busy Ormoc street. No one would let me out so I just kept creeping back until eventually someone was forced to either hit me or let me out. The woman kept beeping her horn at me as I backed out and drove away. I hollered out the window at her "Thank you for being polite" in a very nice tone of voice. She continued to beep at me all the way to the corner. . . but I felt GREAT.
  • Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Being polite and with a smile works wonders every time!
You are absolutely right. Today I was backing out into traffic on a busy Ormoc street. No one would let me out so I just kept creeping back until eventually someone was forced to either hit me or let me out. The woman kept beeping her horn at me as I backed out and drove away. I hollered out the window at her "Thank you for being polite" in a very nice tone of voice. She continued to beep at me all the way to the corner. . . but I felt GREAT.
This post has been beeped by the boss. 867.gif