Philippines Pride

roy2cebu
Posted
Posted

When in taxis have always noticed the amount of garbage along roads and highways. It's not until started my morning walks and not travelling so fast that realised just how much garbage there is dumped everywhere. It's all over the place.Why isn't there a garbage collection operation?How can the country claim any pride when it lets the crap amass day after day. Singapore is spotless, no unemployment as people are employed to keep the place in pristine condition. Why can't the same be done here? It's no wonder the country is classed the poor cousins of SE Asia.It's laughable when hearing and reading that Cebu is promoting itself as one of Asia's leading tourism destinations and the place is filthy.So where's the pride?Why not clean up the place instead of introducing silly, niggling laws and scamming schemes that cause frustration for foreigners?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I think there is are a couple of problems in addition to the usual 'crap'. Those being 1. educating the people to sort their trash before pick up because 2. They have run out of places to put it.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
When in taxis have always noticed the amount of garbage along roads and highways. It's not until started my morning walks and not travelling so fast that realised just how much garbage there is dumped everywhere. It's all over the place.Why isn't there a garbage collection operation?How can the country claim any pride when it lets the crap amass day after day. Singapore is spotless, no unemployment as people are employed to keep the place in pristine condition. Why can't the same be done here? It's no wonder the country is classed the poor cousins of SE Asia.It's laughable when hearing and reading that Cebu is promoting itself as one of Asia's leading tourism destinations and the place is filthy.So where's the pride?Why not clean up the place instead of introducing silly, niggling laws and scamming schemes that cause frustration for foreigners?
The argument would be that the local government does not have the funds to employ people to clean the road sides.Now Roy what I suggest you do is get a few large bags and start cleaning the roadsides yourself,consider it an experiment to see if the locals will stop to help you.Make sure you put up a sign that says, Roadside Clean Up Sponsored by the Philippines Expat Forum,be sure to get some pictures too.I think I heard Dave HoundDriver say he would give you a hand.Good on you Roy, we are proud of you here. thumbsup.gif999.gif
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Now Roy what I suggest you do is get a few large bags and start cleaning the roadsides yourself,consider it an experiment to see if the locals will stop to help you.Make sure you put up a sign that says, Roadside Clean Up Sponsored by the Philippines Expat Forum,be sure to get some pictures too.I think I heard Dave HoundDriver say he would give you a hand.Good on you Roy, we are proud of you here. thumbsup.gif999.gif
Its interesting that you mention that. It is exactly what I did at the house i rented 2 years ago. I started picking up the garbage in front of my house, then I started offering the ragamuffiins 10 pesos a bag for each bag they filled with garbage. Then the neighbors started to feel pride and did the same thing. It was a clean street for about a month.The problem was the teenage 'fraternity' members who would come by each evening and deposit a weeks worth of litter and crap in a few hours. It is a losing battle. When I gave up, so did the neighbors.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Here's another 'cleanup' story that haunts me.When there is torrential rainfall here, the water seems to soak into the ground and disappear extremely quickly. Yet last week, when I washed the blood from my car and hosed down the area, (see the thread on the subject), all the water I used went to the area where the body had lain and stayed there . . to this day it is still there with a greenish algae growing in it. The family of the departed even came by with dirt to put on the spot to soak up the water, (not sure why), but the water stays.(Insert theme to The Twilight Zone here)It is strange but true.

• Like 1

gapotwo
Posted
Posted

Dont get it wrong ,the pride is there but the effort is not.if the local government cant do it due to lack of money or interest then where are the barangay officials and volunteers?they are the ones that should be enforcing local litter control, and clean up as necessary. take a good look at olongapo city, they cleaned up their act and have been recognized for it.all it takes is good leadership, and a strong will do do it. thats why i tip my hat to mayor gordon for his efforts in the rebuilding of olongapos image. tanks ej.:lol: post-1250-0-87008000-1303540083_thumb.jp

• Like 1

roy2cebu
Posted
Posted (edited)
The argument would be that the local government does not have the funds to employ people to clean the road sides.Now Roy what I suggest you do is get a few large bags and start cleaning the roadsides yourself,consider it an experiment to see if the locals will stop to help you.Make sure you put up a sign that says, Roadside Clean Up Sponsored by the Philippines Expat Forum,be sure to get some pictures too.I think I heard Dave HoundDriver say he would give you a hand.Good on you Roy, we are proud of you here. thumbsup.gif999.gif
Tom, you have more chance of plaiting fog!!! Edited by roy2cebu

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

Trash and garbage along the streets and highways? Not where we live anyways! You see, it all depends where one lives! That's why we decided to live in a more modern suburban area that is maintained daily by street sweepers, grass cutters and road repair crews and there aren't hardly any visible squatter areas in our neighborhood! So, it's all about location, location, location! Like E.J. aka Gapotwo commented, the Filipino pride is there, but the effort is not due to lack of funds and/or corrupt town/barrio/city officials hands in the cookie jar!

gapotwo
Posted
Posted (edited)
Trash and garbage along the streets and highways? Not where we live anyways! You see, it all depends where one lives! That's why we decided to live in a more modern suburban area that is maintained daily by street sweepers, grass cutters and road repair crews and there aren't hardly any visible squatter areas in our neighborhood! So, it's all about location, location, location! Like E.J. aka Gapotwo commented, the Filipino pride is there, but the effort is not due to lack of funds and/or corrupt town/barrio/city officials hands in the cookie jar!
so you dont like the way trash is being tossed around the hood, then do something about it. rattle the barangay captains head about it, if that dont work get a neiborhood effort together and clean it up, after all it is you that has to live in it.if i was in that situation thats what i would do, one would be surprised how much response and help would actually show up with proper leadership. be a role model in your hood but tread lightly . i dont think you will be arrested for cleaning up the trash tanks ej. Edited by Boss Man
fixed text position

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

I wonder how much cleaner it is or isn't compared to thirty years ago? You gotta keep it in perspective, in terms of timelines. I hear there was a time when people in Scottish towns used to empty their piss pots out the second floor windows onto the sidewalks below, and you had to be aware of it as you walked along. A foreigner in Tacloban today might complain about how dirty it is, and yet I hear it's a million times cleaner than ten years ago. When my wife left it was the dirtiest city in the Philippines, mainly due to the location of the old bus terminal near the boat terminal and an outdoor market. They moved the bus terminal (including jeepneys and vans) to a remote, roomy place outside the city, and now it's all good, and clean. One decision, and no problem. When I was there, I felt great about it. Had no idea why my wife was so hesitant to bring me there. I'm sure it will continue to get better all over, assuming global warming doesn't eradicate us all first.