Philippines Pride

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)
When in taxis have always noticed the amount of garbage along roads and highways. It's not until started my morning walks and not travelling so fast that realised just how much garbage there is dumped everywhere. It's all over the place.Why isn't there a garbage collection operation?How can the country claim any pride when it lets the crap amass day after day. Singapore is spotless, no unemployment as people are employed to keep the place in pristine condition. Why can't the same be done here? It's no wonder the country is classed the poor cousins of SE Asia.It's laughable when hearing and reading that Cebu is promoting itself as one of Asia's leading tourism destinations and the place is filthy.So where's the pride?Why not clean up the place instead of introducing silly, niggling laws and scamming schemes that cause frustration for foreigners?
Hey guys,As you can see, a significant number of topics in this section have been discussed as negative aspect of the Filipino culture: topics such as Uncouth, Inconsiderate bitches, Beggars with babies, Wait your turn.....has been beaten to the ground. Just like Dave, some of us have tried the "one man campaign" to make things right. But only to be frustrated again and again. My personal experience as a Filipino was I believe, more frustrating. Being Americanized was more traumatized for me. The so called Filipino pride was spoiled by rampant disregard to others and Mother Nature. The Filipino trait of "bahala na", as Art and EJ has pointed out, is basically to look the other way, as the heap of trash becomes a mountain. Why should they bother, if the local government doesn't care. That is the typical mindset of the Filipino people. What about the more educated or those who have traveled abroad to actually see a clean neighborhood? In my observation, I don't see any significant improvements in where they reside. The laws and city ordinances are on the books about public littering of streets, rivers and oceans but I seriously doubt any improvements within my lifetime. Am I taking a defeatist attitude? Perhaps I should take a more affirmative action by what EJ and Dave have done or suggested. Respectfully -- Jake Edited by Jake
  • Like 1

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

Yeah Jake, you noticed that too huh, always the negative aspects of the Filipino culture on this forum and on all the other forums too? What do you expect coming from foreigners married to Filipino women or who have Filipino girlfriends or lady boys and living in the Philippines, a 3rd world country! They all just haven’t adapted to the Filipino ways in this country, because of all the built up frustrations and aggregation they have all experienced while living here! Remember this is a Kano forum all about the Philippines and we Fil/Ams will get an ear full of what‘s wrong, good or bad about the Philippines coming from foreigners who are outsiders, looking in and just expressing their POVs on a forum, because they just want help or they want to understand the Filipino culture to better their relationships with their Filipino spouses, girlfriends, lady boys or what ever and their extended families! And no Jake, you’re not taking a defeatist attitude! It’s just the facts of life the way it is here in the Philippines due to a corrupt government unable to help the poor population! And that’s why I too made a comment on my profile saying, “There are 36 million people living in poverty in the Philippines, but will the new government in power now improve their lives“? “Not in our life time”! So yeah, trash and garbage will still be everywhere!!!!!!!!SugarwareZ-034.gifWe all just have to go with the flow! "Life is what we all make it to be"!

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Yeah Jake, you noticed that too huh, always the negative aspects of the Filipino culture on this forum and on all the other forums too?
Always?It is true that people seem more likely to post about their negative experiences than their positive ones but it seems that everyone on the forum was cheering for Ekimswish while he struggled with pig farming trying to see the positive aspects of Filipino culture.Personally, I see the Philippine people as proud but disheartened. Many will keep their own property extremely clean, to the point of sweeping the dirt in the yard. But that pride stops at their property line because they cannot fix the whole world so they have to stop somewhere.
  • Like 2

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

Ironic of me to be the optimistic poster since I just got kicked out of a basketball game today for cussing out the refs in about 3 languages. I used to complain a lot about the Philippines, but over time I think I've seen it actually get better, so I tend to complain less now. I also saw how it wore on my relationship with my wife, to the point where she would try to one-up me with her disdain for all things Filipino - including herself - just because I had a problem taxi drivers. This happened with my brother and his Korean wife, too: he complained constantly about Korean things, and I could see it pissing her off, but he seemed oblivious to it, then wondered why she gave him the silent treatment.In my latest trip to the Philippines, though we had very predictable problems with the farm, I didn't blame that on Filipino culture, but on one woman in particular. I realize there were cultural elements in play, but the local guys on my block impressed me too much with their hard work and resourcefulness for me to come away with a negative feeling. It helped that I was trying to speak their local dialect as well, since they're too poor and uneducated to manage much English there. I wouldn't say we're best friends now and I'm one of the gang, fluent in all things Waray-waray, but I definitely had a positive experience. Korea is the place that ultimately pushed me past complaining about local cultures. There's just so much there to complain about, that if you took the time, you'd never do anything else. At the same time, you'd miss all the great things about the place. When I left Korea after 5 years of living there, it occurred to me how much patience my friends had with me since I never bothered to learn their language even a little bit. One of them commented to me that it was "cheeky" of me not to learn it. But seriously, I got tired of all the sitting around with other foreigners over beers talking about how retarded Koreans are, for whatever reason. It got old and decided I didn't want that negativity to occupy my mind 24/7. I've learned to take that attitude with me to the Philippines and Taiwan as well. If I do go back to Canada, I'm sure I'll need it there, too. Lord knows there are things in Canada that bug the crap out of me. Anyways.... Hey sonny.... turn that frown upside down. It's all good.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Yeah Jake, you noticed that too huh, always the negative aspects of the Filipino culture on this forum and on all the other forums too? What do you expect coming from foreigners married to Filipino women or who have Filipino girlfriends or lady boys and living in the Philippines, a 3rd world country! They all just haven’t adapted to the Filipino ways in this country, because of all the built up frustrations and aggregation they have all experienced while living here! Remember this is a Kano forum all about the Philippines and we Fil/Ams will get an ear full of what‘s wrong, good or bad about the Philippines coming from foreigners who are outsiders, looking in and just expressing their POVs on a forum, because they just want help or they want to understand the Filipino culture to better their relationships with their Filipino spouses, girlfriends, lady boys or what ever and their extended families! And no Jake, you’re not taking a defeatist attitude! It’s just the facts of life the way it is here in the Philippines due to a corrupt government unable to help the poor population! And that’s why I too made a comment on my profile saying, “There are 36 million people living in poverty in the Philippines, but will the new government in power now improve their lives“? “Not in our life time”! So yeah, trash and garbage will still be everywhere!!!!!!!!SugarwareZ-034.gifWe all just have to go with the flow! "Life is what we all make it to be"!
I must say its not just foreigners who complain about the country,the locals do to,talk to a taxi driver while out and about and you will find the same.Here on the forum it may seem to be negative as we mostly are Aliens like ET.No matter what there are good and bad parts to all country's and as Dave suggested,most people will talk about the bad rather than the good but it does not mean that we would rather be some where else.
  • Like 1

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I love the Philippines and the people of the Philippines, but my topic Bitches was actually about a Filipina who obvious to me was educated, yet still was coughing without covering her mouth. Pigs like that need to be taught a lesson, and if one person reading this forum learns from my obvious anger at what she was doing, then I accomplished what I set out to do. Selfish and ignorant people are all over the world, yet one would expect educated people to act differently and if anyone does not like what others say about their countrymen or families, then it is up to them to at least try to educate those people in how not to spread diseases. Had it been my wife not covering up, you can bet that I would have let her have it quickly, yet my wife knew better when I met her and continues to use proper cautions when she has a cold or flu.

Jake
Posted
Posted
I love the Philippines and the people of the Philippines, but my topic Bitches was actually about a Filipina who obvious to me was educated, yet still was coughing without covering her mouth. Pigs like that need to be taught a lesson, and if one person reading this forum learns from my obvious anger at what she was doing, then I accomplished what I set out to do. Selfish and ignorant people are all over the world, yet one would expect educated people to act differently and if anyone does not like what others say about their countrymen or families, then it is up to them to at least try to educate those people in how not to spread diseases. Had it been my wife not covering up, you can bet that I would have let her have it quickly, yet my wife knew better when I met her and continues to use proper cautions when she has a cold or flu.
Hello Kuya,It was not my intention to knock on you Lee. My main point is that I empathize with all of you guys 100%. I would have mock her by coughing and sneezing directly in her face, maybe even picking my nose to show everyone my Filipino side of uncouth behavior. Judy has met many fake aristocrats here in the states that refuses to speak to her in Tagalog and yet they still have the heavily accented English. Go figure........Respectfully -- Jake (still scratching my ass and pickin' my nose......he, he)

softail
Posted
Posted (edited)
Now Roy what I suggest you do is get a few large bags and start cleaning the roadsides yourself,consider it an experiment to see if the locals will stop to help you.Make sure you put up a sign that says, Roadside Clean Up Sponsored by the Philippines Expat Forum,be sure to get some pictures too.I think I heard Dave HoundDriver say he would give you a hand.Good on you Roy, we are proud of you here. thumbsup.gif999.gif
Its interesting that you mention that. It is exactly what I did at the house i rented 2 years ago. I started picking up the garbage in front of my house, then I started offering the ragamuffiins 10 pesos a bag for each bag they filled with garbage. Then the neighbors started to feel pride and did the same thing. It was a clean street for about a month.The problem was the teenage 'fraternity' members who would come by each evening and deposit a weeks worth of litter and crap in a few hours. It is a losing battle. When I gave up, so did the neighbors.
Then gather up all the garbage bags and dump them in someone else's neighborhood. :Policeman: Edited by softail

roy2cebu
Posted
Posted

When starting this topic it wasn't about garbage in the neighbourhood...it's fairly clean where I am. It was about the SRP highway in particular where people have taken their trash and dumped it there. Not in one place but all along it. Miles of it and in places where the nearest neighbourhood is a fair way away. So people are transporting it away from their neighbourhoods and dumping it.There is actually a sign put by the barangay in one spot that states garbage not to be dumped..penalty p1000....you,ve guessed it...sh&t everywhere.

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

I read through this thread and avoided contributing, mainly because I didn't want people to think I only had negative to contribute. However..... (just can't help myself! See what you guys have created!!!)I must say, don't blame the local or national government, don't blame the neighbours. Why bother wasting your time trying to clean up someone else's mess? This is not about cleaning up the mess, it is about teaching people not to create the mess!On one of my early visits to the Philippines, I watched a little boy pee on another little boy! (not my current relatives), and this was "out in the provinces" as they say here. I was truly baffled and disgusted, and when I complained to the mother of the boy, she just looked at me and walked away.Then upon returning to Manila before flying back to the UK, I was astounded to see so many men and boys peeing up against walls, trees, or even people sleeping on the street! (Be careful Lee and make sure you keep moving no matter how much you have had to drink!!!)That led to me observing people in general with their wrappers, bags, bags of chips etc etc etc. just throwing them anywhere or leaving them in the street, even in my own house when I first arrived, my wifes nephews and neices etc. dropping their rubbish on the floor of the house, banana skins, even their clothes!!!It did not take long for me to put an end to this!!! Now all members of my extended family, including Filipino friends know, we have bins.... use them!!!! Now my niece (Pow pow) short for Paula, comes to me and says Papa Carl look, and then she puts anything she can find on the floor in the bin. (I have lost a few shoes, tools and other things from this I am sure), as I need to live by what I say and remember to put things away where they belong, or along will come Pow pow when she is here and demonstrate how to use the rubbish bins in the house!!! Ha ha, a lesson for me to learn!!!If we can teach (especially the young children) not to through their wrappers etc on the ground, or pee on anyone sleeping against walls, I think we may make a difference at least for future generations!A foot note, I used to see the same writing on walls every where I went in the Philippines, and finally asked my wife one day what it said......Please don't pee on the wall!!!!Ha, again I say, Only in the Philippines. I love this place and the people in it.When I do confront people about why they are just throwing, or leaving their paper cups, empty cig packs, food wrappers on the walls etc. (I was a Manager at a Call Center and we all went out for a cig, so would see this often). They would say to me, I am helping the people who are more unfortunate than me! If I didn't leave it, or throw it on the ground, how could they collect it and get money for food to feed their families!!!Things will get better, all we have to do is keep positive, and keep working towards a better life for everyone here.Carl