Philippines Pride

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hello Papa Carl,Well done my friend! I am proud of you for educating the younger ones to respect not only your home but hopefully also Mother Nature that's beyond your property. It would be nice if we could successfully teach and convert each local one day at a time but it's an uphill battle. In my personal experience, frustrated to hell -- I eventually gave up conducting my "one man campaign". I mean how can one accept the general attitude of justifying public littering is OK because it provides work for the other low-lives? I often wonder if this public behavior is common throughout the region (middle and far east Asian countries)? Respectfully -- Jake

Edited by Jake

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

Hi Jake: I am not sure I have done this the correct way, as I was thinking when replying to Elsa, I am still a little confused whether to click "reply" or click "add reply" so I never know if the person knows I have replied to their post!At any rate here it goes. I do just as you suggested, I am sure I bring the daily entertainment to all my neighbours, as I do the same thing with the children around us. (Not that they seem to understand my words as none speak English, and my Tagalog is not what you would call "fluent"), however actions show better, so I will pick things up that I see them drop and give them back to them! Ha I am sure they think I am just a crazy old man! Having said that, this same little boy that I am thinking of, asked my wife the other day if her Dad was going to come out and play!!!!! :SugarwareZ-034: 23_11_62%5B1%5D.gif This of course what a topic of much discussion and laughter in my house! Her Dad in deed!!!!! I am not sure the little boy believed her when she told him that I was her husband and not her Dad. But still it shows that the little boy was not upset with my demonstrations of cleanliness. We all suffer from thinking our "one man band, single person campaigns" to make things better will never lead to anything, however it should not stop us from doing what we think is right! It is like the person who constantly complains about their government but never votes! They have no right to complain if they don't vote! :508: We will succeed! Just keep trying, you will make a difference! I must admit, I have not found this "public littering" as part of the public Psyche in other countries in Asia. Not in Malaysia, Singapore, Hong Kong certainly, maybe a little more in Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam, but then which of those countries is rich and which is poor, which has first world Education, Hospitalization, Public Transport, etc. and which has Third World. I think the answers are obvious! Thanks for the reply Jake, and don't give up, it is what makes you unique and what you have to contribute to those around you. Carl

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

What do you guys think of this: I take my roommate's dog out for a walk, but will pretend like he's not with me while he craps on the sidewalk or street... lol.... I'm hoping he waits for a grassy area, but he usually just lets it go as soon as we're out the door. Most people in Asia carry plastic bags they will pick up the poo with and then carry it in a pouch or something. I think that's disgusting. On occassion I feel the same way about littering trash, never anything big, however. But small things, I might let fly on the street. If there's a garbage bin, I'll usually wait for it. I just don't feel guilty about littering on a concrete street, though. The concrete is not there naturally. It's covering nature. The natural earth is far below the concrete streets on which we walk. A plastic candy wrapper isn't going to do any damage to our natural concrete jungle environment. I WON'T, however, litter in nature. I feel sincerely bad about it. Cities, however, I have little reverance for. I'm of the same opinion as those Filipinos mentioned above: my trash is someone else's livelihood. Maybe one day they'll create another job for pricks like me, a street goon that thumps litterers on the head, and I'll take credit for that job, too. Maybe I'm picking the wrong battle here.

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)
Hi Jake: I am not sure I have done this the correct way, as I was thinking when replying to Elsa, I am still a little confused whether to click "reply" or click "add reply" so I never know if the person knows I have replied to their post!At any rate here it goes. I do just as you suggested, I am sure I bring the daily entertainment to all my neighbours, as I do the same thing with the children around us. (Not that they seem to understand my words as none speak English, and my Tagalog is not what you would call "fluent"), however actions show better, so I will pick things up that I see them drop and give them back to them! Ha I am sure they think I am just a crazy old man!Having said that, this same little boy that I am thinking of, asked my wife the other day if her Dad was going to come out and play!!!!! :SugarwareZ-034: public/style_emoticons/default/23_11_62%5B1%5D.gifThis of course what a topic of much discussion and laughter in my house! Her Dad in deed!!!!! I am not sure the little boy believed her when she told him that I was her husband and not her Dad. But still it shows that the little boy was not upset with my demonstrations of cleanliness. We all suffer from thinking our "one man band, single person campaigns" to make things better will never lead to anything, however it should not stop us from doing what we think is right! It is like the person who constantly complains about their government but never votes! They have no right to complain if they don't vote! :508: We will succeed! Just keep trying, you will make a difference! I must admit, I have not found this "public littering" as part of the public Psyche in other countries in Asia. Not in Malaysia, Singapore, Hong Kong certainly, maybe a little more in Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam, but then which of those countries is rich and which is poor, which has first world Education, Hospitalization, Public Transport, etc. and which has Third World. I think the answers are obvious! Thanks for the reply Jake, and don't give up, it is what makes you unique and what you have to contribute to those around you. Carl
You know, at the peak of my frustrations, I have been seen in the middle of a strong monsoon picking up trash and debris in order to prevent the street drainage from clogging up. Even shoveling mud and rockswas to no avail. Most, if not all my neighbors thought that I was mentally ill, out there in the pouring rain.On well, such is life........I still continue to set an example for my children to clean up after themselves, evenbussing their own table at Jollibees. I also make them aware that a street vendor just came back from thenearest "wall" with total disregard for personal hygiene, as he present you with a freshly cut mango or someother fruit. Just think about where his fingers have been......Jake Edited by Jake
enlarge font
  • Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted
Hi Jake: I am not sure I have done this the correct way, as I was thinking when replying to Elsa, I am still a little confused whether to click "reply" or click "add reply" so I never know if the person knows I have replied to their post!
If you choose "Reply" you will create a new post but it will contain the post you are replying to. Just put your reply under the
delimiter.If you choose "Add Reply" you will create a new post.Hope that helps.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Most people in Asia carry plastic bags they will pick up the poo with and then carry it in a pouch or something. I think that's disgusting.
Here where I live in Brisbane Australia it is law to carry a bag to clean up after your dog if walking on the street,if you are caught without a bag while walking the dog you risk a fine.Since this law there is not the dirty crap all over the footpaths or nature strips anymore and dog owners just get used to cleaning up after their animals.Cats must be locked indoors after dark too.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
Most people in Asia carry plastic bags they will pick up the poo with and then carry it in a pouch or something. I think that's disgusting.
Here where I live in Brisbane Australia it is law to carry a bag to clean up after your dog if walking on the street,if you are caught without a bag while walking the dog you risk a fine.Since this law there is not the dirty crap all over the footpaths or nature strips anymore and dog owners just get used to cleaning up after their animals.Cats must be locked indoors after dark too.
I had a Bulldog for many years going out I always had a few bags on hand. He was a great dog would go right away once a day on our morning walk making an unpleasant job easier.:th_thholysheep:Many public parks here have dog bags and bins to dispose waste. There are fairly substantial fines for not cleaning up after your dog.

joeatmanila
Posted
Posted

Ahhh you guys touched my ichy side of mind!!!!!Garbage and littering...it's all about education and culture. Let me be specific.Wherever you might go you'll see plastic packaging over and over, for one empanada 2 plastic bags...the cover and the bag.... You eat the empanada ok trash the plastics now, FIND a trash bin on the streets!!!! I challenege you!!! Most likely you'll dump it at the street by thinking "oh heck not a bin not even to the closest proximity.Now days though things tend to improve in the good areas and you might find a garbage bin. Good effort but falls in void since the culture is established so many centuries now.In the filipino mind it is not a shame to dump their trash right outside their door. Where else will they tell you. In middle or low income communities if a waste bin is installed it will be stolen even if it is a hlaf opened barrel!!!! It still has a value. The kids are growing up with this mentality too, it's rooted in them, same as the disgrace of the jeepney, or the no rules driving.they do know, they did heard that it is no good to trash things around but it has the same effect as they know so many other things but consider encyclopedic knowledge and not for the real life.My wife is participating at the "politics" of our community, one of the barangay officers...i asked her to bring up the issue of trash all around our basketball court, they placed bins. I watched, if they were 5 meters away from the bin they would trash it on the ground, not enough bins said later on...4 around a basketball court and not enough....mercy!!!!People who participate these kind of "politics" they ALL do it for money or power, none for the commonwealth. I convinced my wife to do the same, one bird cannot bring the spring!!!! She is considered the millionaire here so not much to bother taking out of 500p amounts....most if not all the others do so!!!! There is no event, not any joined action for the common good if there is not some profit to the pockets of the organizers directly or indirectly.after that, one thing i say, cannot beat them so join them!!!!

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

Hey Boss Man, I did not realise that you live in Brisbane, my daughter (Sara) and her husband (Stew), (and soon to be grand daughter) moved to Brisbane from England last year. When they had the flooding I was concerned for their safety, however they were fine. My son (Paul,who lives in England with his family) just finished a visit to Australia. They went from Sydney, to Darwin, then Brisbane and back to Sydney before returning to England. He sent me an e-mail stating " not to worry about Sara and Stew, they are fine, and we had some great fishing out of the living room window!" Ha ha he has his mothers sense of humour.I refer to Paul and Sara as my son and daughter, because they feel like they are my children, as they were very young when I married their mother (english) back in the UK.Paul, who was born in Sydney, now lives in the UK with his family, and keeps in touch with me, finds my current life style on the funny side and stays in touch. Unfortunately Sara (who was born in the UK, but now lives in Australia) has never accepted the fact that I married a woman who is younger than she is, and we have very little contact any more.)CarlMike B:I tried responding to each of these different threads by clicking "reply" but when I tried to "send" it just kept coming up, that the number of outgoing quotes does not match the number of incoming? Not sure what I am doing wrong so unfortunately I am sending all replies in one thread. More than likely is something simple, but it seems that my simple brain is working even less with old age.To all the rest in regards to this thread, .... to each their own. In London, and Kingston in Canada, as well as in London and Dunstable in England, it is also illegal to take your dog for a walk and not clean up when they have a dump. There are bins for you to deposit your bags of doggy doo doo.However I take on board the comments here, and in fact fully understand, as I also had my water bucket stolen from outside my house, along with the "rubbish bin" I had out there. In fact they even stole the pots that my plants were in!!! Thankfully they left the plants, just stole the plastic and tin pots!!!So I do understand your frustration. Including the fact that just finding a rubbish bin, while walking in town is almost impossible.Ellie would agree with you, as she is always complaining about the used candy wrappers, cig butts, etc. that she finds in my trouser/short pockets when she is doing the laundry!Not sure why I persist with this rubbish thing, maybe it is because I can't change so many other things, like corruption, bribes, etc etc. however with this one thing I can take action and do something.Ramblings of an old man, some would say, and they are probably right, which is one of the reasons this site is the best!All the best and thanks for all your comments.Carl

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Hey Boss Man, I did not realise that you live in Brisbane, my daughter (Sara) and her husband (Stew), (and soon to be grand daughter) moved to Brisbane from England last year. When they had the flooding I was concerned for their safety, however they were fine. My son (Paul,who lives in England with his family) just finished a visit to Australia. They went from Sydney, to Darwin, then Brisbane and back to Sydney before returning to England. He sent me an e-mail stating " not to worry about Sara and Stew, they are fine, and we had some great fishing out of the living room window!" Ha ha he has his mothers sense of humour.I refer to Paul and Sara as my son and daughter, because they feel like they are my children, as they were very young when I married their mother (english) back in the UK.Paul, who was born in Sydney, now lives in the UK with his family, and keeps in touch with me, finds my current life style on the funny side and stays in touch. Unfortunately Sara (who was born in the UK, but now lives in Australia) has never accepted the fact that I married a woman who is younger than she is, and we have very little contact any more.)CarlMike B:I tried responding to each of these different threads by clicking "reply" but when I tried to "send" it just kept coming up, that the number of outgoing quotes does not match the number of incoming? Not sure what I am doing wrong so unfortunately I am sending all replies in one thread. More than likely is something simple, but it seems that my simple brain is working even less with old age.To all the rest in regards to this thread, .... to each their own. In London, and Kingston in Canada, as well as in London and Dunstable in England, it is also illegal to take your dog for a walk and not clean up when they have a dump. There are bins for you to deposit your bags of doggy doo doo.However I take on board the comments here, and in fact fully understand, as I also had my water bucket stolen from outside my house, along with the "rubbish bin" I had out there. In fact they even stole the pots that my plants were in!!! Thankfully they left the plants, just stole the plastic and tin pots!!!So I do understand your frustration. Including the fact that just finding a rubbish bin, while walking in town is almost impossible.Ellie would agree with you, as she is always complaining about the used candy wrappers, cig butts, etc. that she finds in my trouser/short pockets when she is doing the laundry!Not sure why I persist with this rubbish thing, maybe it is because I can't change so many other things, like corruption, bribes, etc etc. however with this one thing I can take action and do something.Ramblings of an old man, some would say, and they are probably right, which is one of the reasons this site is the best!All the best and thanks for all your comments.Carl
Its a small world Carl,yes I have lived here for about elven years and before that in the state of Victoria. To maybe help you with your posting problems have a look at some of these topics.http://www.philippin...indpost&p=10888http://www.philippin...indpost&p=36432Also the help files have some good information.The best way is to try again in the test forum if something is confusing you but remember to always reply or add text after the last quote tag.This image below shows what is the last quote tag of a post, note the slash. post-1-0-52251100-1304497688_thumb.gif