Foreigners Hiding In The Philippines

Shady
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, GeoffH said:

Our rear wall is rendered concrete block about 10 foot high

8 hours ago, graham59 said:

First thing I did (in 2015) was have an 8 foot wall built right around our property.

Also unlike the US,  the main concern in the PH is not from 'home invaders' when you're at home, but burglars, when you aren't.  That's why there are so many villages with private security guards.

Assuming those walls mean you don't have guards, do either of you ever leave your property unattended?

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Shady said:

Also unlike the US,  the main concern in the PH is not from 'home invaders' when you're at home, but burglars, when you aren't.  That's why there are so many villages with private security guards.

Assuming those walls mean you don't have guards, do either of you ever leave your property unattended?

There is almost always someone there, if not me and SWMBO then her brother or mama and papa or sister and brother in law will stay (we have a room allocated to each of them although only mama Nora and papa Paterno live there).  

On the very occasional time that the house is empty (and only for a short time) the neighbour on one side keeps a close eye on it for us (and we do the same for them if they have to go away).  In those cases the window bars are locked, the front door has both locks locked and the chain engaged and the double rear doors are both locked. 

It's still possible someone could get in when we're not there of course but honestly... there are easier targets in the street.

As the old saying goes "You don't have to outrun the bear, you only have to outrun the guy running next to you" :whistling:

• Like 4

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

It's still possible someone could get in when we're not there of course but honestly... there are easier targets in the street.

that's the key right there

7 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

As the old saying goes "You don't have to outrun the bear, you only have to outrun the guy running next to you" :whistling:

You rat bastard (that is an affectionate yank teasing BTW not an insult) I was going to say the same thing and you stole my thunder :hystery: 

• Haha 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, scott h said:

You rat bastard (that is an affectionate yank teasing BTW not an insult)

Don't stress... aussie guys swear at each other LOTS (and I mean lots) and don't mean anything by it.

We use words that would cause bar fights in other places to call mates over for a beer...

Edited by GeoffH
  • Love it 1
  • Haha 1

graham59
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Shady said:

In our case, the walls are more to mark boundaries, and to keep animals out (also as a flood  barrier for a small stream at one side).

We have lovely neighbours, and various relatives up and down the road too, so really, 'home security' is not an issue for us....happy to say.  :smile:  

• Like 2

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Shady said:

Our rear wall is rendered concrete block about 10 foot high

Sounds like you're building a prison. Our rear wall is 6ft. Side wall 5ft. Front gate area 5ft. I have a large yard area tho and always have at least 5 Askals running around the whole place and barking at anybody that they don't know. It's a system that has worked for almost 20 years now with no burglaries or thefts. :56da64af91f92_23_11_602:  

• Like 3

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, GeoffH said:

We use words that would cause bar fights in other places to call mates over for a beer

When I do something like that nowadays I get called out by the powers that be. When will my probation end?:rolleyes:

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
55 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

Sounds like you're building a prison. 

We didn't build the house, we bought it from the wife of an expat.  Not exactly sure what happened to him but he wasn't in the picture any more.

Either way he must have been... very cautious.

meh... doesn't stress me, I wouldn't have built walls that tall (probably like yours about 6 foot) but they do keep a bit more noise out of the ground floor of the house as a bonus.

• Like 3

AusExpat
Posted
Posted
On 5/5/2020 at 5:28 PM, Arizona Kid said:

Are you sure it's not me? I don't want to be bothered also. I'll say hi, but MYOB. 

I agree, I do not talk to and rearely acknowledge out of area Filipinos I do not know either.

When I did in the past they'd just ask for my money for some ludicrous reason and I'd tell them to get stuffed or get a job, usually both.

• Hmm thinking 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, GeoffH said:

We didn't build the house, we bought it from the wife of an expat.  Not exactly sure what happened to him but he wasn't in the picture any more.

Either way he must have been... very cautious.

Lol, that's your retirement project when you get back. Find out what happened to the former expat owner. Obviously her name will be on the deeds. Look into if he lost everything while working abroad, died of natural causes, died unexplained and hidden in the garden or gave it to the wife out of fear for his life. :biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 3