If You Were Me ?

Classic Dry
Posted
Posted

I am a 68yr old man, living alone here in Australia, and working full time. To date I have only spent 2 weeks in the Philippines,

and though I found it extremely enjoyable ( read my blog ) it left a lot of questions unanswered. ( I was only a tourist after all. )

I'd like to go for a longer period, to get a better idea of how it might feel to live there,say 6 weeks.

I know it's not long enough but it might have to do for now.

I know most, if not all, the information I'm asking for, is scattered about this forum, but I'm asking that you consider and

advise me, from your point of view, how best to utilise my short time there.

For instance, bearing in mind my objective ( how it might feel to live there )

Where would you stay ? --- Geographically.-----Type of accommodation ---- You might suggest an actual place.

What would you see? For an insight into Philippine culture.

Would you stay in one place, or move, say every 2 weeks ?

Although I'm not actively looking for a partner at this time it, might be pleasant and useful to have a ( traveling/sightseeing) companion.

Or maybe you think the possible problems associated with this, would overide the usefulness.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

Brad616
Posted
Posted

Yea, I would go, and pick two places and stay for 2-3 weeks in each place . You could meet a fililppina online and surprise them with a visit to there hometown; that is what I did with my future wife , not that your looking for one, but it was pretty neat to see the look on her and the famiy and neighbors faces :lol:

Alot more knowledgeable people on here about exact locations and accomendations

Good luck

• Like 4

Classic Dry
Posted
Posted

Well, Scott, I need to clarify. I am looking forward to a time when I'll be living in a comfortable home, and in a relationship with a loving partner.

It was a chicken and egg question really, which you, sjp52 and Brad616 have answered.

As Old55 says not many Filipinas would want to travel around with some foreign man they just met.

So, it would be silly to wait until I got there before looking, however casually.

The internet is the only way to go for me, but this might be limiting in choice of where I would like to live, as most ladies seem to want to live

close to their family.

Yes, Old55 I am scouting places to live, and Baguio, as suggested by you and sjp52, is looking good. I've seen earthdomes photos and read his post.

Although I'm healthy and active at present, I am cracking on now, so sjp52's reminder of hospitals is relevant.

Scott, I think the phrase " not actually looking " was a mistake, and I should be actively looking.

And thanks for the invite. I may take you up on that one fine day.

Thank you all for your advice and I'm checking out ladies on the internet right now ! !

It really is all about women isn't it. :yes:

• Like 4

jode
Posted
Posted (edited)

You don't indicate that you are hot to hook up with a filipina, which is the reason for 90% of the single guy trips here I believe. In that case I would travel alone. I have had my best adventures traveling alone. Of course there will be lonely and confusing moments, when you wish you had a partner to help, but those are the times which can lead to the best experiences.

There are hundreds here who would be thrilled to be your tour guide and translator, but they may also be an impediment to your experiencing real adventure. Having them between you and spontaneous discoveries that may be most rewarding.

The filipino people are good to travel amongst for that kind of experience, as they are generally kind and congenial and honored to be helpful. The smattering of english many understand and speak also is helpful of course. Most have great respect for you because you are older, your skin is white and they assume you have money.

Of course alot depends on your physical condition and temperment. At 68 even in reasonable good condition, you may be stretched to the limit physically and certainly psychologically at times. If you have a temperment to remain calm and confident under the uncertain times you will encounter, i think you could have the experience of a lifetime. If you doubt your physical and mental capacity for that kind of adventure then just get on agoda and make reservations at various hotels at various places. Hotels like to watch over the welfare of their guests and are helpful in ensuring the comfort and enjoyment of their guests.

In 6 weeks you could do a reasonable job of checking out 3 or 4 islands. If you opt for more adventure just travel very light and have no home base. Take busses between locations and utilize other means of cheap local transport to really get an idea of how the people live. Of course do copious research, have maps, ask questions, and do more online research, so you are not traveling completely blind. There are local festivals going on constantly year round in various places at various times. A fun way to go may be to try to co-ordinate your travels to hit some of these.

Wrote this as u were writing previous posts so it changes things. If your goal is to meet a nice filipina, then get phone numbers for several ladies at each place you decide to visit, and spend your time meeting and getting to know them. Good luck finding the one who agree's that your way is the way that is right for her. She will live wherever you are if she wants you, not the other way around. Plenty of ok, if it's all her way, women in Austalia, i am sure, if that is what you looking for.

Edited by jode
  • Like 3

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

You want to know what it would be like to retire in the RP best idea rent a house for 6 weeks .

This will give you a idea of retirement ie: power costs , shopping at the market for food ,entertainment ,etc

Moving around lots is a vacation and its easy to miss out on everyday life (boredom)

Not sure if your a city boy or your country folk but pick accordingly and try to plant some roots meet the locals and a few expats who live in the area

6 weeks is a good start in the same place may give you a different outlook . Maybe time to make some new friends and get a feel for day to day life .

• Like 3

Classic Dry
Posted
Posted

Jode, as you say, I'm not hot to hook up with a filippina, but I don't find the idea unappealing.

When I first considered my 6 weeks in the Phils, It was with the very ideas you propose.

And that's very appealing too.

When I was over there my friend suggested I buy a motorbike and go take a long look at the place.

Sort of Easy Rider does the Phils. He said he could find someone to ride along side me (a guy) Keep me out of trouble.

All these ideas have some merit.

cebu rock's suggestion is sensible, and well worth considering.

• Like 2