Dried Fish ( Yak )

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

The dried fish and a corpse smell so much alike how would you know which it is! My girlfriend likes dried fish what am I going to do........

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I got used to the smell of dried fish cooking because it makes my wife happy. I'm sure there are things she did not like about me that she got used to. One of them being that I spend too much time on the computer. :rolleyes:

• Like 4

Julia
Posted
Posted
The saltiness is also the perfect complement to the sweetness of champorado. And, towards the end of the Christmas season, it provides a good break from all the feasting on rich food.

:th_exactly:

brock
Posted
Posted
The saltiness is also the perfect complement to the sweetness of champorado. And, towards the end of the Christmas season, it provides a good break from all the feasting on rich food.

ALL the feasting on rich food ?... Are you in the same country as me ?

• Like 1

Julia
Posted
Posted

i think so.... :cheersty:

• Like 2

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

We reside in Canada. I was, however, talking about my experience of rich Filipino food both in the Philippines and in Canada.

There are many facets of Filipino culture, as well as Filipino food. My wife comes from a privileged class, and so I sometimes have a difficult time relating to the experiences shared by a number of expats in this forum.

I have been through a good bit of the Visayas, and Luzon, and am not unaware of the poverty. It does make me shake my head in disagreement though whenever I hear sweeping statements made about the ignorance and lack of education of Filipinos, and how lazy and conniving they can be. It may be true of some, but not of all.

Going back to food - growing up in Canada, I was content to enjoy the standard North American fare, with the regular Italian and fake Chinese thrown in. Since meeting my wife, I have come to love the Filipino-Spanish dishes that her family whips up – the callos, morcon, asado de carajais, galantina, Tarta de Madrid, to name some.

We have gone to Italy and Peru (the emerging culinary capital of South America), and sampled food extensively. I can tell you that the Filipino-Spanish dishes compare very favourably.

As for education – my wife was educated completely in the Philippines (the cream of the private schools), and her education has stood her in very good stead here in Canada. In her job, she does a fair amount of negotiations with lawyers and other professionals, and although it can be very taxing at times, she is generally able to come to a satisfactory resolution.

Outside of work – when we vacation in Cuba, surrounded by Brits, she becomes their darling as she trades zingers with the best of them.

Her family – I love and respect them. They are loving and supportive of my wife, the family baby. They are capable of conducting intelligent discourse as well as any Canadian family I have ever known.

Her friends in the Philippines – it is a genuine honor to know such accomplished, unpretentious people. Again, I do not have such a circle of friends, nor would I be able to find one if I tried.

And, I have met Filipinos from other walks of life…for the most part they do their best. If given the same challenges, I wonder if other nationalities would fare much better.

I am only writing the above to present the other side for a change. I have heard enough negativity, and thought it was time I shared something from a different perspective.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
Julia
Posted
Posted

My girlfriend likes dried fish what am I going to do........

have a bite, she'll love you more, believe me! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Julia
Posted
Posted
FRIED, DRIED, DEAD FISH

the way you name my favorite dish makes me vomit, Papa Carl :mocking:

• Like 1

Curley
Posted
Posted

Re the title Dried Fish (Yak) Is Yak the fillipino name or is it yak as in YUK horrible?

No answer to my question?

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
No answer to my question?

buwad is what my wife calls it so never heard it called yak before.

• Like 2